SOLVED: Taking a cue from tortoisekeeper

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm taking a cue from tortoisekeeper (Betty) and posting photos of the plants which the good people here on DG have given me. Without all these plants, my flowerbeds would be looking rather bare. Thanks to each and every one of you for your generosity to me!

Marilyn

I'll start off with a series of plants from Kathy Ann because she is the first DGer I met in person. She let me come and "browse through her greenhouse" on Thanksgiving week-end, 2007, and I came home with a lot of great plants.

Here is the gorgeous iris that she gave me: It is called "Celebrity Song"

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

a verbena from KA

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Red Fox Veronica from KA

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and just look at this gorgeous daylily: "Pearl Harbor" (also from KA)

Thumbnail by marsue
Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Awesome.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

These cannas are from Sheila (edenawaitsme)

Thumbnail by marsue

Just wait til your cannas bloom. They are so pretty with flowers. Do you know what color they are?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is an "African Yerba Buena Mint" also from Sheila

edited to correct name of the plant

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I have no idea what color the cannas are, Debbie. I'm not sure Sheila knows either, LOL. I love cannas, though and can hardly wait for them to bloom!

This is something called "Autumn Joy" and I can't remember who gave it to me. Will the one who gave it to me please identify yourself? Thanks!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

These are succulents from My Sharona in Florida:

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pink Bee Balm from Sandra

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hot Lips Salvia from Sandra

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gunny's rose from Sandra (how very special of her to share this with us!)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Limelight Artemesia from Sheila

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Black Dragon plant from Sheila (I know, I need to water!)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Lamb's Ear from Pat

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and 3 "dead sticks from Pat--LOL My DH looked at me as if I was crazy when I told him to plant them and he just stuck two of them in the ground next to our "army tank" (the olive green-colored electrical box in the side yard) where we had planted some knock-out roses to hide the army tank. He never expected then to live but look at them now: By the way , this is "clerodendrum bungeii" and forgive me if I didn't spell that right.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the other one

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is the third one

Thumbnail by marsue
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow Marilyn - very nice ! That is too funny about the dead sticks. Pat knows what shes talking about. Really love the colors of the iris. It is so graceful.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is what they looked like when we first planted them. See those two sticks on either side of the "army tank"? That's them, all right! These are mis-named--they should be called "resurrection plant"!! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We cross-posted, Bonnie. Thanks for the compliments. You can really appreciate the "dead sticks" when you see them the way they were in the beginning! Pat does know what she is talking about, for sure!

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Thats just too funny. I notice you use the red mulch Marilyn. Have you always used that type ? I used to use the jet black, but as I have gotten older, I can't lift those bags, so went to the pine bark mulch. Now, IT is getting very heavy for me. Have been thinking about going 100% to pine straw. That don't weigh anything, just not as pretty. I think that red mulch is very attractive, but not if I have to start all over with the heavy stuff, if you know what I mean.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's an echinacea from Kathy Ann which is just getting ready to bloom.

(I took this at a funny angle)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We originally had mulch from Searcy Mulch (which is free--all you care to haul) in all our flower beds. DH wanted to make the beds in the front look a little "dressier" so he bought the red mulch to put over the brown mulch. He bought the red to match the brick on our house! LOL Only our circular bed with the tree roses in it has the red mulch in the backyard but it isn't shown in any of the photos above. The first bags of red mulch which he bought faded somewhat as soon as it rained but he went back and got a different kind and it hasn't faded. HD was having a sale on the first bags we bought and we found out why(it faded). They don't handle it anymore. We got the rest of the red mulch from KMart. It was a little more expensive but worth it. I haven't put any more mulch on the beds in the backyard because I want to let them get filled in before I cover them up with mulch. That might take a year or so since we just started making these beds last fall.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and here's one more from Kathy Ann--a Dutch Iris and please forgive the weeds. We planted this iris on the far side of our storage shed along with some cannas which KA gave us and we more or less forgot about that side of the shed this spring. Then one day I noticed something blooming over there and went over to take a look and voila! -- there it was--pretty little thing among the weeds. The weeds are now gone.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I mustn't forget the strawberry begonia which Kim (duckmother) gave me. (not to mention the mealybugs--LOL)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

catspower(Cathy with a C--aka The Fudge Lady--yum!) gave me 4 Forsythia which are all doing nicely. Here is a pic of one of them.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and then there is this pot of something-which-I-can't-remember-the-name-of-it. It also came from Cathy with a C (I think). I haven't planted it yet because I don't know what it is and I don't know where to put it. Are you out there, Cathy? LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I think that is about it. If I think of one I haven't shown you, I will take a photo of it and post it later. To my friends on DG, thank you all so much for sharing your plants with me. Every time I see one of these plants, I think of the one who gave that plant to me. I hope in the months and years and ahead, I can reciprocate in some small way. Being a member of DG has certainly been well worth the annual fee, not only because of the plants I have received from you kind folks but, more importantly, because of the friendships that are being forged. Thank you all so much!

May God richly bless each and every one of you!
Marilyn

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Just came across this thread, Nice plants Marilyn, neat to be able to remember where they came from, I have a hard time doing that. My memory is so bad these days

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

KA, as you get older, you will learn to write everything down so you won't forget! LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

My son told me it doesn't do me any good to write it down cause Ican't ever find my lists LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi marsue:
I am hopeing to do the same thing you have done. How about an over view of the whole bed. I love the DL please let me know when its ready to split. I would love to trade for a split. We are hopefully moving next month into a home of our own so i will post b4 pics then. Take care
Dave

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi, Dave! Nice to "meet" you! I like the Tulsa area. My DH has a cousin who lives over there. For an overview of my flower beds just click on my name to the side of this post and it will take you to a place where you can view my journal here on DG. I have 5 different diaries there of various flowerbeds which we have put in this past year since moving into our house here. I will be happy to trade the DL when it is ready to split. However, you should really dmail Kathy Ann about such a trade. She has more mature plants than I do and hers would most likely be ready to split before mine will be--it's just a thought. Kathy Ann is an avid gardener(both flowers and veggies) and I consider her to be my resident "expert" on things having to do with plants. She is so knowledgeable and always eager to answer questions and help ID an unknown plant.
I'll be looking forward to your photos whenever you get your flowerbeds started at your new home!

Marilyn

for Kathy Ann: LOL at your son about the lists!!

Ok I'll ask. What does it mean "when they are ready to split". Will I ever get all these gardening terms down pat? LOL

Ripley, MS

Daylilies need to be divided every 3 to 5 years. They get too crowded and they stop blooming as well.
They make into clumps and you can "split the fans apart".
Sandra

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I'm not the only "iggerent" one around here, Debbie! LOL Actually, we aren't ignorent, just uneducated about some things, huh? LOL Thanks for answering her question, Sandra!

Ripley, MS

No problem, thats what we love, learning new things about our plants and I usually learn something new every day here at Daves.
Now remembering those things is a different story--LOL
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm so lazy when it comes to dividing dayllilies, I have some that are 7 years old and haven't been touched ever LOL

I hate dividing them, is why I never do anything to them but just let them grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.