SOLVED: Taking a cue from tortoisekeeper

Ripley, MS

I'll be there soon to help--LOL
Sandra

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, the next time one of you ladies are 'slitting them' please take photos cause in two years I'll be splitting the ones Cindy gave me. LOL

Kathy Ann, stop saying you can't remember. Your brain is listening to you and says
' OK, don't have to remember that '. LOL Get you some Ginseng.

Marilyn, "iggerent" LOL. I've never been called iggerent before. I started laughing out loud..... My husband already thinks I'm going kinda nuts.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No, get some ginko biloba for memory, gensing is for energy LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Yes ginko is for memory ... but you have to remember to take it everyday...LOL
Kathy Ann: Are you near Little rock? I make trips over to little rock from time to time and if you are close I would be happy to help split them up. I love my trips to LR because my son-in-law always has me split his green hosta and i cart away a ton of it to give to anyone who wants it. I am looking forward to next year because he has a nice streaked yellow and green hosta that should be ready to at least give me a start and a few to pass out... Davey hosta seed(plant)....lol

But seriously Kathy I would love to trade for any daylilies you might could spare. of course monday will be out because of the rain. I am making the last of my trades for spring because of the stress it puts on the plants and because I have to get to packing for the big move. Luckily most of my stuff is still in boxes. I just have to box up the stained glass stuff.
well folks its my bed time
ttyl
Dave

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

So does anyone have any of my babies that are doing well? I have some that I received that I need to take pictures of. The ones doing the best are the Shrimp Plant from LilyLove and my Blackie SPV. And Jeri, the Voodoo Lily you gave me LOVES my house! It has grown a foot!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm about an hour north of Little rock, further if you do'nt drive fast LOL

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So sorry about the mealy bugs, Marilyn. I have had lots of them this year! I think the black dragon is actually called red dragon. lol Sheila may have gotten it from me...and probably mealybugs. ;o))

I'm so sorry Jen. The ones you gave me are doing great. I have a picture of the big one, Epi. No pic yet of the Jade, but will post.

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow Debbie, he is happy, look at all that new growth!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Debbie, all the plants in that photo look as if they are doing well. I have a small Lime Zinger EE which I bought at Randolph's Nursery in April which isn't doing very well. I'm thinking about moving it to a pot so I can keep it on the back porch out of the hot afternoon sun. The strange thing is that I bought another EE the same day and it gets all the hot sun, too, and it is growing by leaps and bounds--go figure!!

Sandra, just look at the Hot Lips Salvia which you gave me that same day we all met at Randolph's. It has its first bloom! Yippee!!

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

Oh good job on raising that baby, it was so small-lol
My lime zinger does not seem to be growing either, I was thinking mine might need more sun. I guess they are just slow starters
Sandra

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Sandra, I'm encouraged now that I know your lime zinger isn't growing much, either. As you said, they must be slow starters. The dirt in my flower bed looks really dry but 2 or 3 inches down it isn't dry at all. I promise I have been watering my babies and they got a good slow drizzle of a rain on Monday night.

Marilyn this is some info on Lime Zinger from Agristarts. Maybe this will help.

Xanthosoma aurea 'Lime Zinger'
Growing Information Temp: 50°-90°F
Light: 2000-3000 ft-c but will tolerate lower light levels
Soil: Well drained, light professional mix containing 75% peat
Mature Height: 3-4'
Pot Size: 6-14"
Hardiness: Zone 7b
Major Pests: Snails
Diseases: Pythium Rot and Rhizoctonia Rot
Origin: NA
Erect herb, with tuberous rhizomes, 40-70 cm high, with a general golden color, of unknown horticultural origin. Stemless when young, but developing the rhizome up to 50 cm above the ground in old plants. Leaf-blade membranous, with conspicuous veins above, 25-45 cm long, on spongy, 30-60 cm long sheathed petiole. Spathe erect, constrict, creamy 14-22 cm long, on 20-35 cm stalk.

It is widely grown in semi-shade, usually in groups, in the tropical and subtropical regions, as well as in pots for indoors. ‘Lime Zinger’ is propagated easily by separation of the tuberous rhizomes.

http://www.agristarts.com/xan_limezinger.htm

I forgot. I have alot of different ee's and each one likes something different.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll join in, there will be numerous if I can remember to take pics. of them all. To begin my list. Here is a cutting of lavender shrub morning glory from Jeri11 from last Sept. RU in La. My very first bud, so I'm so very excited! Thank you Jeri.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that info, Debbie. I do think I have my lime zinger in too much afternoon sun. I m going to move it in the morning.
Kim, that is exciting about your first bud on your lavender shrub morning glory. It is always great when a plant that a friend has given us actually starts to flower. That is so rewarding!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Indeed it's very special when we look at the flowers and remember the person that shared the plant. Here is another, Jeri ordered these great big crinums for me, they're doing great. At a moment impulse, I wanted a reed to be smack in the middle of these container for accent. Here is how it turns out. The sweet reed is actually a sugar cane (which is tender for our winter, both plants will be moved indoor together in the fall).

Article on reeds:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1129/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Don't give up on the lime zinger, ALL my tropicals are just now showing themselves. Let me rephrase that, All my tropical gingers are just now starting to pop up, and my aroids are all up but are in pots, they just started popping up about a month ago, Everything was late getting around this year. I've never had my tropical gingers stay dormant this long before.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How odd is that. Kathy Ann, the shampoo gingers you've sent me they are just now breaking out of dormancy also. So are my tumeric curcumas. Go figure! It has been warm all along, and those are just now poke their heads through the ground. So are my Voodoo lily. They're real late.
Kim

So ya'll are saying it's not too late for me to plant my shampoo ginger and curcumas? I forgot to plant them. I just thought about them today. Is it too late. The bulbs or whatever they are, look good.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Plant them now Debbie, looks it's a good time.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I agree, it's a good time, anytime is but the fall .

My blood lily is just poking through too, this time last year it already had bloom s on it I lost some of my globba gingers, and most of my peacock gingers are just now poking through.

Lost a huge 20 gallon bucket full of costus speciosis variegata to rot. I'm sick over this now, it was beautiful last year, this is the second time i've not been able to over winter it. so I give up. LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear of the lost Kathy, I'm so new to these, but I'm very interested in all type of gingers. I can't wait to see how they do this year.

Ok I'll plant them tomorrow. Thanks ya'll.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kim, your pot of crinums looks really good and the reed in the middle looks sort of like my "Rainbow" ornamental corn plant.

I'm not giving up on the Lime Zinger, Kathy. I am going out to dig it up in just a few minutes before it gets too hot outside.

BTW, KA, one of the echinaceas which you gave me is blooming, too! Here's a close-up with a very small leaf hopper on it.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 6:51 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lookie, lookie! Here is the bush MG this morning! Isn't it a beauty? My very first bush MG! Ruth has given me a pink one, which I planted in a shaded area thus hasn't grown much, so I moved the plant a couple of day ago -- not far from where this one is. I can't wait until I see the two bloom together. This is the best morning yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's lovely, Kim!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh , pretty KIM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kathy Ann and Marilyn, I just love the big bloom. It's much bigger than the common vine's flower. The shrub is full of buds more to come.

Pangburn, AR(Zone 7b)

marsue, sorry, but I don't think I brought that plant. Not a clue as to what it could be.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The leaves on that pot Marilyn, they look like night-blooming Jasmine shrub. I could be wrong.
Kim

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it is a mystery plant, then. Nobody has come forward to ID it. The only other one I can think of who might have brought it would be Loretta and she doesn't post very often. Hopefully, she will see this thread and let me know if she brought it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Kim. I'll check that out on plant files and compare photos to mine, if they have any photos over there.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I went back up this thread, missed a few posts. That is autumn joy sedum that I gave you Marilyn, and not sure what that jasmine looking plant is, not too familiar with it's looks.

Hope I didn't forget anything else.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Kathy Ann. I had the Autumn Joy on the marker but not "sedum" and your name wasn't on the marker, either. I can correct that tomorrow.

I went to plant files and looked up the Jasmine but it was hard to tell from the photos if the leaves were the same as my plant. I guess I will have to wait until it blooms to tell if they are the same plant.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

don't know whereyou got it from ha?

I wish I could help.

and that black dragon is red dragon persicaria sorry abou t that.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, now I have two markers to correct tomorrow. LOL

Marilyn, Kim is right. That looks like a jasmine. This is the closet pic I could find for you in PF. They like bright light, but no direct sun. The leaves will turn brown. And they love water everyday or two. They will stay the size of the pot you have them in. The bigger the pot, the bigger they grow. Take all the brown leaves off of it, including the ones that have fallen in the pot. Even if it's not a jasmine, it looks sun stressed, so shade, water and a good plucking will make it come back pretty. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15663/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I believe the Jasmine I had in mind is this one:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/126752/
I've a bush which will need to be overwinter indoor (my first year with this). Will take a picture to compare the leave. These one leave are more of a ovate lance shape, compared to that smooth of the vine that you've Debbie.

Your right Kim. That's it. I couldn't find that one when I was looking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.