Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

"Let us see your flowers beds and yards" #2

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Christine, oooh all that space to be creative with! I'm thinking, thinking. lol. The fence....humm, I think I've an idea. lol.
Kim

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Martha...I so like that you give credit to your yard guy! I go to a lot of gardens and the owners will talk about when they planted such and such....and I know some of them didn't actually dig that hole or mow that perfect lawn. 'That maybe they had the ideas, but someone who's worked for them for years is the person behind the garden. It's so nice that you've recognize him...and "internationally" too......
I would like a clone of David if possible!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Bigbubbles, I know exactly what you mean. However, I, myself, dug the beds, laid the brick, and grew many of my plants from seed. I sweat and toil and resemble a grunting pig in my garden! On occasion I commission David to carry heavy bags of soil amendment from my car,and pine straw bales. More recently, he carried a potted 6-foot Yew tree to my backyard. Oh yes, like an Englishman, he prunes my Yaupons to perfection. He's wonderful and strong, and I would clone him for you if I could!

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More often than not, a helping hand is more than welcomed here in our garden too. Off topic, my first bush Mornining Glory's flower faded after 24 hours of glory, then I noticed an ovule (?) on the plant after the corrola felt off? Cindy does these shurb make viable seeds? I thought they don't.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Martha...well okay if you can do all that...I'll take a clone of you! But I still think you're a nice person for sharing David.
Sandi

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL Martha. Tell David that all of ladies say hello. I have to tell you again. I just looked at your garden and it is so very pretty.

Sandi, I'd like him to be cloned ,if for nothing else than weed eating. LOL And carrying bags of soil and rocks and and and.

Christine, you are so lucky that your neighbors built the fence. I wish mine would. Then I could plant lots of climbing vines.

Martha, what did you have on your lattice last year climbing. Do you still have a pic. That would help Christine see how pretty that wonderful fence can be.

Kim, I know you could give her a list of about 100 climbers to plant over there. Kim, my MG has the same holes in the leaves as yours. What is that? Do I need to spray or leave it alone?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, problem is there are so many of my 'favorite' vines. I don't know which one to begin my recommendation. lol. Debbie, I suspected the tortoise beetles are the culprits of those tiny little holes in the MG leaves. I couldn't bring myself to squish them bugs because they're so pretty. I'll try to take some picture of them next time I find some.

It's a beautiful sunny day here everyone, if I didn't send out a wish for 'Happy Father's Day' here it's. Wish all you fathers are having a spendid day today.

For those of our close friends here in Midsouth; Paul from Al. Paul from Arkansas, Jozebeen (Joe), Kenny, and many of my girl friends' loving DH....
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Kim, I grew my bush MG from seeds that came from Onalee Seeds.

Debbie, I don't have any pics of lattice climbers from last year. But let me show you some prior years.

Senna or Cassia (Candlestick plant).

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Moonflower vines growing on the fence lattice with Blackie Potato Vines planted beneath.

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Can't resist this. Two chameleons mating in my moonflowers!

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Another moonflower view.

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Don Juan climbing rose (first year). I later dug it up because it grew over the fence into my neighbor's yard. I recomment another kind of rose climber.

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Clematises 'Ramona' and 'Blue Moon.'

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Clematis 'Ville de Lyon.'

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Clematis 'Niobe.'

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Clematis 'Jackmanii.'

Thumbnail by mwperry
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kwansan daylilies added color to this small planting of bamboos.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Christine, this year I planted a different kind of vine for each lattice framed on the back fence. I won't show pics because most were just planted from seedlings this past week and they are very small plants. This is what I planted:

Hyacinth Bean Vine
Tree Morning Glory (pink)
Red Star Passion Vine
Senna (Candlestick plant)
Moonflower Vine

Hope this is of help to you. Let me know if you need info about any of the plants. After they mature and bloom, I can send you any seeds you may desire from this last list. Good luck with your wonderful space.

Martha

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my gosh you all are wonderful! Thank You! I need beds that's easy for Dave to weedeed around, he's already mad enough about the storm shelter being put in the wrong place (it was supposed to be closer to the house and back against the forest further, like behind the grape vines, not in the middle of the yard!) OOPS!

Let me get my brains working. That might be a fall into spring project :) I don't do good in heat, I tend to pass out, and that gets full sun all day long. I need to build a bed to see how expensive it is and if I can handle the heat. This years weather has been all screwed up anyway, what am I saying LOL

Southern, LA(Zone 8b)

Martha, I love your little corner of heaven!
I know all that hard work is sooo rewarding
for you. Your vines are gorgeous.
I would love to see your place in
person. Wonder how you lug around that
HUGE green thumb! lol ;)

psychw2,
I know what you mean about your
chain link fence. I have chain link all
the way around my back yard. It seems
that my climbers don't show up as well.
Its very frustrating. I thought about building
a trellis in the back corner of our garden.

Hey Kim!!!!
Cant wait to see you in the fall.

Christine,
I bet you will have that fence covered
in no time.

Debbie,
We need to go kidnap
Jeri and take her to lunch.
What ya think?

Mary G.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Absolutely. Just dmail me. I have an appointment tomorrow, Wednesday and I think Friday. I was planning on meeting up with Jen and Jessica this week, but I think that will have to wait as well.

Unless we could all meet up and go to Dupont maybe Thursday and eat. Whatever, just let me know. You gonna call Jeri, she may not want to leave Mary unless she has someone with her.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ok I will post a few pictures but you really can't tell what is planted in them because by the time I back up to get the beds the flowers disappear.

Gotta say Martha as usual you gardens are beautiful and serene. It is obvious how much work you have put in them.

First I will post some awful pictures of the areas that I am building for the BF's, Hummers, birds and bees.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 1:40 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

another long bed before and a little after. I will post some afters of all these when all the plants are planted and mulched

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 1:21 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

driveway bed

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

these long beds I have not done too much destuction this year. I have added three trees.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

the long bed down to the river I lengthen and widened. It will go under water on high years so I put things that are disposable or easily dug up. My husband mows and that is all. I can't do the weedeating anymore and this area can't be mowed.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

homerun roses circle this bed.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Somewhat improved bed in front of the daylily bed.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Right side of my yard this is my New Orleans area with black wrought iron fencing

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

New Orleans area Can't see the fencing because it is behind the flowers. When you walk up closer you can see it

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 1:44 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Long sweeping beds for my daylily seedlings to grow up. Still under constuction

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

same area just different angle. all these beds on this side are new this year including the long driveway bed. They are coming together pretty good.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 1:46 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Last picture > I will try to get a picture of the New Orleans area this week.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I was trying to get a picture(thur a window) of the zebra swallowtails on the agastache but they move so fast. If you look closely,there's one to the lower left. Kinda like playing "Find Waldo" . There were lots of the little black bumblebees working these plants too but I can't make them out in the picture.

P

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 3:39 AM

Thumbnail by bigred
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Terrific pictures and projects going everyone. Cindy, you've started alot of new flower beds, and they're all going to be so very rewarding! But, I can relate, there is alot of hard work being invested.
Christine, best of lucks with your planning. It's alot of fun walking around the yards and visualize what plants/flowers you'd like to see there next season.
Peggy, nice to see you posting, you've posted lot of wonderful creative ideas going on around your home.
Mary and Debbie, I wished I were to live closer so we all can get together. Tell Jeri I missed seeing her too.
Kim

Thanks! If any of you want to come over and help... We can have a planning & planting party!!!

I have new pics too!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Martha...the vines, the vines...I love 'em! Thanks for such good ideas. Donna B gave me some clematis and I just may have to move them now that I see yours.
Cindy....your gardens are gorgeous....but so much land to fill...I think maybe you should give me some of that acreage. With Martha's David and more land donated from you...I could have such a nice garden. Seriously, how do you do it? I have a small subdivision yard and I'm constantly out there...watering, and nit-picking! Thank goodness I have too much shade to get pulled into daylilies! Have a friend who tore up her entire front yard to fill with 'em. She's in heaven. But I will not start another obsession. Instead, I'll live vicariously thru the gardens of others. Love the photos, like eye candy/
I'm so glad to be able to actually see others gardens instead of just a flower pic. So many great ideas to try....
Sandi

I don't know the name of any of these flowers, I think I need to take a plant ID class :)

Thumbnail by crissyr
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are your various color blooming zinnias, Christine. Butterflies love those blooms.

Sandi the vines are beautiful! I'm going to play copy cat a little and see what I can do.

I know these are "Katie's Blue" Mexican Petunias!

Thumbnail by crissyr

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.