"Let us see your flowers beds and yards" #2

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

psychw2--thanks for the suggestion--when I put her out there, the toad lilies, hydrangeas and hostas were just coming up so she wasn't nearly as covered up--I will have to get some pavers--and my lot is tiny too--less than an 1/10 acre in the city but I make up for it with jam packing everything into all nooks and crannies :~)

Debbie, it is a knock out rose--and I drink plenty of coffee so come on over :~)

riverland--the rhododendrons are native here, but we have it hot too--I don't know if it's the acidic soil they like or if they just have to have the short winter's break to do well

I love looking at everyone's gardens as well!

-Becky

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Common Debbie, love to have you here. :-) I love your garden too Becky.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Becky, what kind of knockout and how old is it to be so big. I planted 21 really close together, thinking that I could take some out as they needed room. But, I transplanted 3 last week and they almost died. They are wonderful , but they don't like to be moved. I need to do some research and see when is the best time to move them.

Oh yea, I hear thunder and it's starting to rain. Wonderful.

Kim what kind of rose is that. She's beautiful.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 9:46 PM

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

it is 3 years old--bought it in a gallon pot--all the single bloom ones have gotten that big no matter where I put them---the double knockouts I have tend to be smaller and grow slower--

as for moving them, I have only moved one, but it is going great--I always cut roses way back when I move them and spray them with neem oil/rose pride weekly for the 1st month or so so that they don't succumb to black spot from the stress--other than that and watering, they are pretty resilient--maybe try moving them when they are more dormant? they may not go dormant where you are though...

Cindy, I was just going thru the thread quickly and noticed I didn't say a word about your beautiful yard. You acted like it was a mess. Your beds are awesome. I don't know how you do all that by yourself. Thankyou so much for posting the pics. I really thought I said something to you earlier. But it is very possible the do-do I am, I forgot to hit send.

Thanks everybody for all the pictures. I'd love to see more. You don't have to live in MidSouth. We love to see gardens from anywhere. Please post if you have any pictures of your yards or flower beds.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Debbie, it has been raining here since about 8:30. There was alot of thunder and lightening at first, but now the rain is here. I guess I won't have to water tomorrow!

Jennifer

No, Becky, these little buggers are constant bloomers. I just love them. I did notice that the single knockouts that I have, are growing alot faster than the doubles. But the doubles are growing very well too.

Hi Jennifer, well, the rain lasted for about 3 minutes, but I still hear the thunder. My garden just loves rain water, so I hope we get some more. I started putting out buckets to catch the rain water this week. We have had a very slight shower 2 or 3 days this week. Anyway, when I would go check to see how much water I had collected, one container was always empty. I couldn't figure it out. LOL I forgot I had drilled holes in it to use it for a planter and never did. DUH

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hehe, that sounds like something I would do ;)

I have 2 watering pails that I sit out in the rain to water my containers that are under the front porch (overhang) and don't get rain. I fertilized earlier today. Maybe the rain will help get the fertilizer to the roots and not wash it away.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a question, how often do you fertilize your container? I use Miracle Grow but only 1st a week. What are you guys doing? I have some nice hanging baskets and containers but I really want them to be showoffs! :)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I fertilize with Miracle Grow and fish emulsion once a week. I do a round of Messanger every 2-3 weeks, and I do the SpraynGrow/Coco Wet/Bill's Perfect Fertilizer solution every 2-3 weeks also.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never used the Messenger. Is it a dry mix? I remember there has been a co-op on Dave's before. So you think it is a very good product? I may try finding it locally.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I like it. I got mine directly from the manufacturer I think it is EdenBioScience. If you bought a certain number yout got one free.

I don't know if retail stores carry it, but www.sprayngrow.com does, along with (of course) the Spray & Grow fertilizer solution I use. I love their website. They have tons of cool stuff and their shipping isn't ridiculous. I just got a package from them today.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ok I now have updated pictures on what I have been working on so hard. These pictures are my new butterfly bee hummer gardens that I built this spring. It has been the biggest project i have ever done all at one time. There are two more beds connected to these that are not quite finished yet. Today I planted 8 new trees. Hopefully they will make it. Lowes had the trees on 75% off last week and I just can't pass up such a good bargain. I forgot to say I had a volunteer help me dig the holes for all these trees. I had already planted 6 trees and broke my shovel in this hard dirt..
Top picture is before and bottom after.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2008 6:23 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This is the other end of that bed

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

this is a full circle area of beds so I can't take pictures to really show you what it is like.
top is before naturally and bottom is as of today.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, that must have been a ton of work!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

River side of that bed

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Yes Jen it was and a few times there I thought I had bit off more than I could get done. I took Debbies advice took a day off played with my grandchild and I was ready to finish it. course it will never be finished.

Debbie I promised you a picture of my New Orleans area minus a bench. I am still looking for that perfect sitting bench.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

O k now to a cute picture. This gives a whole new twist to the drive in movie.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ok it is so dark in that corner you really can't get a good picture so I lightened and cropped.

I forgot to say that most all those plants in those BBand H beds I grew from seed. So I am excited to watch them grow. Several of my RU friends helped me out there too.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

So cute! My little one has a similar "car".

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, he is so CUTE, reminds me of when my 16 year old twins about drove me crazy racing them in the house at that age! Now they are in real cars, time sure get away.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cindy...you've done a lot of beautiful gardening. I'm amazed that you've done so much...and by yourself. It's lovely...especially the NOLA area....looks so inviting.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

thanks Sandi someday there will be something to sit on there.
I had an old bench but it finally fell apart. I have kinda lost interest building this other area that is clear across the yard from that. It is hard in these wide open spaces to make intimate areas. Keep planting trees.
Thanks for the comments about the baby too don't want to detour the thread with it. I just though a little humor might be nice

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Cindy - great job on the beautiful gardens! so much work!! and what an adorable GS - bet you enjoyed your day off to play with him.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats Cindy on the trees planting. Our flower beds look changes each year. But the trees are there to stay. Lot of hard work but it's all worth it. Your DGS is beautiful! I meant handsome, lol. And look at him being focus! A leader on the making!
Thanks everyone for sharing the wonder pictures. Hi Emily.
Kim

Morning everyone.
Geez Cindy, so much work girl. Let me get my cup of coffee while we walk and you show me your garden. Everything is so wonderful. Now I can see where you have put all of your plants. Miles and miles of well manicured beds. Mercy, what a lot of work. But so worth it. And of course, the N O area. Hmmm, now where can I put a wrought iron fence in my yard? LOL What a beautiful setting. I don't need a bench, I could just sit on the ground and lean back on your beautiful gate. Oh, I just love taking this morning walks thru your gardens. So peaceful. Good job Cindy. Now, you can take your time and enjoy doing your driveway beds slowly.

And you can send me your grandbaby while your planting. He's too sweet. Just look at his sweet little legs. I just love babies. And I promise I'll send him back when he is 20. :)

Kim, I have looked on all the threads for my morning dose of your beautiful blooms. Where are you girl?

Newbury Park, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey everyone! Haven't been on in awhile, been swamped with business, plants, and now going through the Walker PD reserve training! Yes I love a hectic life, haha. I need to get some pictures posted of everything, so much new growth in the last few months. Hope all of you are doing well!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thank you all I do hope to sit down in a few weeks and just enjoy God's creatures. I really want to be able to catch some with my camera.

Hi Randy, so good to see you posting. Look forward to your pictures.

Debbie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Randy, I too looking forward to some of your posts. Have a great day everyone. The temp. surprisingly cool outdoor so I won't be inside much today. But will have the camera handy for later posting.
Kim

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hi Randy , I am also headed back out. I have already worked several hours out since it is quite pleasant this morn.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Randy, I work for Hammond PD. Let me know if you ever need anything!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I haven't posted in quite a while, but this thread inspired me to show a few.

First one is our small pond. This is the 3rd year so the plants are really beginning to show off this year. This photo is a few weeks old.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

Our main garden - Cutting garden, herbs, and some orange daylillies and other assorted stuff in the foreground and veggies in the background.

Another older photo - Heuchera, 'Creme Caramel' I believe.

Not a totally new bed, but a partial re-do. We took down a Foster Holly and I added more daylillies (purchased at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show) and thinned the white yarrow. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.