"Let us see your flowers beds and yards" #2

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Love the pond....beeeg pond to me!

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Thankyou so much for posting OSP. Another great walk thru a beautiful garden this morning. So peaceful. Your DL are doing great and I just love your water feature.

Debbie

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I can't believe it has been a week since I have posted here but, as some of you know, my best friend had surgery and I have had her granddaughter (whom she is raising) with me for a week. The DGD loves to play on the computer so I have let her use it and I haven't had much time on here. Anyway, all these pictures are wonderful. It is great to have "visitors" from areas outside the Mid-South, too. This is a great thread, Debbie. So glad you started it! So much has been posted here this past week that I can't possibly comment on all the photos but, needless to say, they are all lovely. It is great to see how everybody's own personality shines through in their gardens.
I went out this morning and took a photo of my own H/B bed. When I compared it to photos I took in April, I was amazed at how much everything has grown. We started this lasagna bed last fall and let it "cook" all winter. We didn't plant anything in it until April. Here is a close view on the narrow end of the bed.

Thumbnail by marsue

It's really filling in good Marilyn. You are better than me. I plant everything too close together and then have to transplant later, cause I don't have patience to let them grow. LOL

And I agree with you about the thread. It's so nice to get to visit in our DG friends gardens. If we can't visit everyone, this is the next best thing.

More photos please everyone.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Debbie - I couldn't agree more. It's like a virtual garden tour thru Mid-South Gardens. Some of my very best gardening buddies & friends are right here on these MSG forums and threads. I love looking at the beautiful garden designs, flowers, and even hearing the problems others face in their own yards and gardens.

I'm so busy at work I don't get to post much, but I do lurk and view as much as I can.

Elaine

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Elaine, it's nice to see you posting. I love the pond in your yard and seeing the kois happily swimming about.

Marilyn, my lagsana bed that I started a bit earlier last Fall, it's filling out faster than I anticipated. I wound up like Debbie have to transplant some out of the little bed recently.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Gosh Kim, look how pretty. I am going to try to understand the lasagna bed pretty soon and start one. There are alot of threads and posts about them, so I will give it a try I think.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Drapelady, I did my VERY FIRST lasagna bed this past fall and it worked sooooooo much better than the one I dug by hand at the same time. I have very little weeding to EVER do in the lasagna (probably would have had NONE if I hadn't made the mistake of using lots of STRAW!). The flower bed I dug by hand, I am CONSTANTLY weeding. I have several 100 sq feet of more lasagna "cooking" right now.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

What is a lasagna bed ?

I am always hand digging and weeds/grass are growing everywhere I want to widen my beds.
so far I only have put layers of newspaper on top of the grass and then mulch.That seems to help.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Debbie: cordeledawg down in Georgia was the first DGer to suggest to me about making a lasagna bed. I had never heard of them until I became a DGer. To me the hardest part was collecting enough newspaper--LOL--however, thanks to Freecycle, I was able to get plenty of newspaper and also found a source for free horse manure. Then Kathy Ann told me about a place where I could get free mulch (just 30 miles from my house) and my DH found a construction site where they were scraping off the top soil and hauling it to the dump!!!!!!! He was able to get 4 pick-up loads of top soil absolutely free. So we had all the ingredients for our lasagna beds and it didn't cost us a dime except the gasoline to go pick up all of it. (That was before gas was $3.00plus per gallon!) FREE is always good--LOL.
The thing about the newspapers is that you have to make sure you put down enough layers. 12 layers is what is recommended but some of our layers weren't that thick. However, I did try to use at least 8 layers on everything. It isn't all that hard--just time consuming, but well worth the time and the effort. Good luck with yours! Be sure to take photos of before and after to share with us!

Marilyn

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Brigette--we cross-posted. Sounds like you have a good start on a lasagna bed with the newspapers and mulch. A lasagna bed is so-called because of the layers used to make it--first newspapers then whatever else you care to put on top of the newspapers. As Debbie said, there are several threads on DG about making lasagna beds--just type in those words: lasagna bed in the DG search engine and you should be able to find lots of info.

Marilyn

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Marilyn,
thanks for answering.So far I have not put down enough layers but 2-3 inches of mulch.Will send DH to get some free papers at the store.I am outside right now looking at all the mess,just came in to take a quick break.
Thanks again!! :-)))

I had trouble getting newspaper until I realized why not ask the recycling station! They let me have all I wanted free and even gave me cardboard boxes to put it in and helped me load it!!! Yeeeehaa!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I decided to post a sunflower with the field and lake in the background. The natural areas are carefree gardening. :) I water the sunflowers and the rest takes care of itself.

Karen

P.S. The picture is larger than I intended and a bit out of focus but you get the idea. lol! :)

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Karen what a beautiful sunflower. Are ya'll getting rain? We just got a little bit, but enough to water my plants. :) My son is on his way to Baton Rouge and said it's raining so hard he can only go 35 MPH.

I wish it would rain. I have been running my legs off watering for days and days. I let the grass get a little high to try and conserve our lawn. The rain clouds are teasing us being visibible and raining it seems everywhere but here. I know it has to rain soon. Karen

We have been getting tiny bit every afternoon, so that helps. But yesterday, it rained really hard for about 10 minutes and the wind blew so hard it almost knocked down all of my roses. It started raining for a few seconds a little while ago, but it's stopped now. One good thing, every afternoon it gets cloudy and that's good to get the direct sun off my plants for a while. I started catching rain water in buckets cause my plants love it, and yesterday it filled up a 3 ft tall kitchen garbage can.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, it really rained hard if only for a short time in order to fill up a garbage can that tall, Debbie! We need some rain up here, too. 50% chance of scattered showers for tonight --I sure hope we get some of it.
Karen, that is a beautiful sunflower. I have one that is just getting ready to bloom but I have no idea what color it is going to be. I was assuming it would be yellow until I saw yours. I hope mine is the color of yours--that is such a pretty color.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Woo! It is pouring here!

What is the smallest lasagna bed you could make? I don't have much room.

That's amazing how it skipped right over me. LOL It's cloudy here, but that's all. At least it has cooled off alot. Enjoy your rain Jen.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, it is thundering like crazy here.

Finally,it rained buckets and watered the freshly mowed yard. What perfect timing!!! We had scattered thunderstorms and drove in and out of some bad weather today. I heard there was a hail storm not far from here but I didn`t experience any hail.

Karen

Ok, well, being I got a whole bucket of water yesterday, it's only fair that it rained directly to the west and east of me, and jumped right over my yard. That's ok, at least I have my buckets and watering cans of rain water from yesterday.LOL Glad ya'll got some much needed rain.

JLK, the smallest lasagna bed I would make is the BIGGEST possible under your circumstances! Although its GREAT to have lots of material to decompose and build a really nice soil, if you put down LOTS of newspaper (or cardboard) and just start layering your grass clippings, leaf mulch etc, you will eventually build a nice soil.

Newbury Park, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's my yard as of yesterday, I need to take some close ups, I'll do it when it gets a lil cooler today! :)

Thumbnail by mustangman826
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, mustangman! What a perfectly groomed lawn you have, too. Our lawn looked very similar to that last summer when my DH was fertilizing the lawn and then watering constantly. However, I told him we didn't need any more $200.00 water bills this summer so he hasn't been watering the lawn like he did last year. We may have to start watering the lawn again, though, because we have had a dry spell lately. :o(( In fact, I am watering the flower beds right now (but not the lawn).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Indeed a beautiful manicured lawn! But hey, I'm zeroing onto your little one standing guard on the driveway. lol. What's his/her name? What a cutie pie!

Newbury Park, CA(Zone 10a)

Haha, thats our little black pekingese, her name is Mercedes =) She just got a hair cut, too hot even just to let her use the bathroom outside!

Hi Randy, your yard is still so beautiful. But it always looks that pretty. Even in the winter. The grass is even prettier than the picture shows. How have you been doing? Thanks so much for the picture. What have you got growing in the wonderful greenhouses in the back. Let us see, so we can be jealous. LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That's one pretty front yard! Love the architecture of the house too.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Randy, what an immaculate yard. It's got wonderful texture, color and structure. All to match your perfectly groomed doggie! And, your great-looking house. Dear, you've got it together!

I want to do want a lasagna bed late this fall. I somehow thought lasagna beds were the ones you plant with all kinds of bulbs, staggering the planting depths according to bulb size. I must have dreamed this up!

Oh, yes, Karen, I adore your sunflower. Very good photography too.

Martha

This message was edited Jun 22, 2008 4:05 AM

Yes, I had all kinds of "imaginings" about what a lasagna bed might be until I finally found the threads that explained them. "Maybe lasagna bed is where you plant tomatos, onions & peppers??" LOL, hey it WAS a thought at least!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Martha, the idea of stacking bulbs according sizes at planting was from me. Tehehehehe, I wrote about putting down larger bulbs, then "layer" them with smaller size bulbs to create a lush spring flower bed....Remember my tulips et al garden.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

It sure was from you, Kim! Stacking bulbs, I mean. Did you ever call it a lasagna bed? More than likely, my pea brain scanned in just enough info for me to put a name on it -- lasagna. LOL.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No, Martha, I called layering planting. lol.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yooohooo, where are you Debbie?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some Kwanso daylilies last waves of blooms, this morning I found this little morning glory intermingling with the DL. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Hi Kim. I'm right here. LOL Sorry, I had to finish my drapery order and get it all installed. It's all finished now. Yeahhh.

What a beautiful planter Kim. It's a good thing I don't find all of those yard decorations. I just love them. And your morning Glory and daylilies are so pretty. I especially love the Morning Glory. I'm fixing to go outside and start my new bed. If it's not too hot. LOL I have missed my garden too. The only thing I've been able to do for about 2 weeks , is water it. I have to go make sure my babies are all alright. LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Phews! Glad you've been busy and found your way back....lol. I love those morning glories too, but don't have room to let them show off their beauties, so I have plugged most of them down. That particular one came true to its parentage. I may let one or two go to seeds and save them for next year.

Here is a crowded corner of my daylilies bed, highlighted by K.O. rose in which I pruned off during the growing season, watered them in and they took off.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Oh dear, those KO's get really big don't they? LOL When is the best time for me to transplant mine Kim, do you know?
And I think that your daylilies are the first that I've seen that are not brown or yellow around the bottom edges. What do you do to keep them green like that?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.