over wintering Lantana cuttings...

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

Have you tried this? If so, was it sucessful? My main concern, would be whether there was a problem with pests?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Phloxy_lady, I've never successfully overwintered them, but I've never tried very hard :0)

I recently read a tip about overwintering lantanas in marginal climates (I don't know if 6a qualifies as marginal for lantana.) But if you want to try it, the article said to not cut back the foliage after it dies. The stems of the plant are hollow, and moisture will enter the cut stems, get down to the roots and freeze. Mulch the crown of the plant after the foliage dies back, and leave it undisturbed until spring. Cross your fingers, and hopefully you'll have new growth appearing from the root area next year.

If/when the new growth begins to appear and/or your last frost date comes and goes, go ahead and cut back the dead foliage.

As far as bugs go, I don't know if you'd have any more or fewer problems with bugs than you would with any other overwintering plant......

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

A friend of mine at a local nursery said that after the first frost, the plant will naturally die back. Cut it back and mulch over the top. This is for a plant already in the ground, though. Don't know if that helps.

Go_vols and smiln32,
Thank you, both, for responding. I think,I will, just do both! I will try to overwinter outdoors(with my plants in the ground), and indoors, by the cuttings. If neither, works, I will just purchase new plants.The part about the stems being hollow, is an 'interesting reason', not to cut back!
Have you ever found the perfect plant for that perfect spot? I will plant the Lantana here every year? I have tried different plants, in the built in containers, at the sides of my deck, but these have done great!
Will post a pic!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Phloxy_lady, Lantana is the perfect plant! It gets very cold here in Texas
in the winter. I just let the fall leaves do the mulching for me, and I don't cut mine back until April.....and they are gigantic.

"eyes"

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

zone 5 here. Yes I over wintered lantana Dug it up, brought it inside and kept it on the dry side. It lost most of its leaves and looked miserable. In late winter I took cuttings and put them in a soiless mix and put them under light. They rooted quickly and are huge now. Will be sure to do it again this year!.

My concern, about insects (mainly, whitefly), was based on the fact that Lantana, prefers to be on the dry side. I was under the impression, that these were the plants, more suseptible to draw whitefly.

Carbondale, IL(Zone 6a)

This is a tad off the original thread, but I recently obtained some cuttings of lantana and have'nt a clue as how to root them; any suggestions?

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Lantana can be rooted a couple of different ways.

I root mine in water sometimes and other times, I dip the ends in rooting hormone and place them in potting soil. It's best to do this by putting your potting soil in first, making small holes (I use a pencil), then putting the cutting with the rooting hormone in the hole. That way, more of the rooting hormone stays on the cutting.

It roots very easily either way. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.