Coleus Chatters thru June 22nd...

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm trying to figure out Sydney's donkey comment. Does she really have a donkey or is she talking about her own posterior like sitting in the living room taking a break?

Janet it is hot here too. I worked this morning from 7:15 to 10:15 cleaning beds and trimming shrubs at one of my husband's clients house. Came home dripping with sweat and took shower and made hubbie take me out for lunch.

Please say a prayer for my best friend's granddaughter. She is five and was admitted in the hospital. She is scheduled to have a cat scan today. She has had blood in her urine and they finally found a mass on her kidney. Pray it will not be anything serious and can be treatable.

Love all the trailing plants in the wine barrel ZZ. Would like to know what all is in there if you get a chance.

Welcome back Sue. Sorry to hear things have been hectic.

Kell oh Kell--Come out and play--I need a good laugh today. Where are you?

Patty

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh gosh Joyce.. I'm sorry.. I'll respond.. I got a bunch all at once!

Thankz Brinda! That is how I had to photo jewelry when I sold online.. There is a certain time of day... and I can't wear pink... LOL it will actually reflect a slight tint... I'm still working on getting some good pics.. When I make my second million, I'm gonna get a decent camera.

? Donkey? Too funny!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Afternoon Chatters, I hope that you all have had a great day!

Sidney, 2 things first what the heck is "the donkey" and I can give Joyce a nudge for ya!

Joyce, Now you know that Sidney, has been promising a return trip to visit us, You could "pop" in on her and the 2 of you come visit....
(just give me 1 day notice to clean house, the gardens stay in proper order just can't seem to keep the house that way) LOL

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I just have to show y'all the cutest thing.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That was a watermelon I spotted in my garden this morning.

I also spotted a Japanese Eggplant

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And a couple of tomatoes

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The vines growing around the pond form are the watermelon vines. I do believe I'm going to be in a "world of poop" when the melons start growing!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Janet, you're way ahead of me on the maters. I just have blooms and I keep looking for fruit. I can't wait as my mouth is watering for some good maters! And I just love your little watermelon.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Very cute key!! just kidding! luckily you have those cute little grandkids you can always send one home with each of them! Everything looks great!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Brinda, those maters were on the bottom of the plant, so be sure to look there. All I was seeing was blooms too. Then I started inspecting all of the plants after I saw that little melon.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh you guys... I have the greatest story!

When I got home just a bit ago, I had a package on my porch from Ted. My porch faces the west and those poor babies had been in full sun for hours and are wilted but will perk up soon.

The cuttings really surprised me but the best part is yet to come! As I was taking the cuttings out of the box I picked up a piece of melted chocolate. My thoughts were that Ted must have had little kids around when he packed cuttings and one of them must have dropped a piece of candy in the box.

Nope, that wasn't the case at all. As I looked a bit further I found that Ted had sent me Chocolate Kisses. I am smiling ear to ear and I just think that's the neatest thing in the world.

Ted, you made my day!!!! I do hope that things are going well for you and that your Sweet and Dear Mom is comfortable. I think of her daily and I'm sending good thoughts and many prayers her way and to you and your family too!

Take care my Sweet Man ***smack***

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I''l trade ya Janet, you can have my "giant squash" and I'll take your watermelon.
Its taken over the veggies the whole back row is squash.

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Is it Crookneck Squash? I've got a couple of zucchini plants left. Squash Vine borers got into 4 of the plants and I had to pull them out. Looked like grubs!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

fresh from the garden

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

oh and I forgot about the Zukes, they are the size of nukes...

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh Brinda! kisses and cuttings. I am jealous!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Those look lethal!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow, coleus and veggies! And great big veggies! Oh how I envy you the room to grow those.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Too cool.. I love garden pics!

That is the cutest watermelon in the world! LOL Those babiez drive me crazy!

Brinda.. that is so sweet. You got kisses!

Here is my latest baby

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is my tomato jungle

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Big Bertha

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

First baby Jalapeno

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, Janet, your veggies are terrific! Veggies here seem to be consumed by hoards of bugs before I can even blink, so stick to flowers and an occasional tomato plant. Love that little watermelon.

Donkey?????

ZZ, that barrel looks so beautiful! You have such a great eye for combos. Wow, your veggies look great too!

jadjajoyce, still hoping for a positive outcome on the health issue. :-) I can see you flying down the highway, heading towards Sidney's house....

Brinda, that was so sweet of Ted, what a thoughtful guy!

Ted, sending good thoughts for your DM.

We have had rain three of the last 4 mornings and the coleus are so happy! Gave them all FE on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll take off even more!

Cathy

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Okay.. One more and I'll quit..

My First Black Krim ever..

edited to add... it's way bigger than my fist

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 5:52 PM

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I underplanted a brug today..

It's Gemini.. There is Kiwi Fern, Meandering Linda, a blue impatiens, clown violet, calibrochia and umm... I can't remember.. LOL

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

That looks so cool already, in a couple weeks it will be Smashing!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! It looks like y'all are feeding an army!

This is my first attempt at a garden, so I wanted to keep it small. There's just the 2 of us home now, so these veggies ought to be sufficient for us. Hubby asked me tonight how many seeds were in that little melon.

You guys have got some HUGE vegetables. I hope my veggies grow up to be just like yours!

That underplanted brug is very pretty ZZ. Speaking of brugs, there are 2 blooms opened today. I was taking photos this morning and looking closely at the brug. There are lots of bloomettes on that brug. I was showing Connie and she asked me if that was more than one plant. We looked, and sure enough, it was only the one plant. There are 5 large stems that branch off of it and they all have bloomettes on them. I still don't know it's name. At the end of the bloom it turned a golden color. I forgot to get a photo, so I'll take one of one of those blooming now when it gets to that point and maybe one of you all can ID it.

(Zone 9b)

Gee it is so nice to be missed. I now feel like I am all that esp after a terrible week. THANK YOU!

No. 1 It is so hot here. I will never brag about my cool weather weather again! I am too fat for hot weather.

No. 2 On Sunday a hussy girl was shaking what God gave her too much of at my one and only son who was answering this call of the wild. I soon figured out why God gave her too much of the one thing for he sure shorted her on brains. What smart girl would be so obviously circling her prey with teeth bared among other body parts while in front of the so possessive mother? All the while the mother of hussy girl was telling me how happy she was that the kids were getting along so well and she saw them together as in MARRIAGE!!! I whispered to my kid "RUN TOM RUN" but sadly it seems hussy girl is an experienced hunter. He has been avoiding me all week!

WOES 2 To be continued........................

Speaking of squash, look at what I found at the Farmers Market. I bought 8 different kinds to mix together.

Thumbnail by Kell
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Wow! Didnt know all these coleus lovers were into veggies too. What a garden!

Wish I could grow some. Where I have the space i dont have sun and where I have sun I dont have space unless I turn the front lawn into a veggie patch :-0

Georgia, thanks for the invite, that was sweet. I'm think I'm leaning toward coming now. Sidney even figured out the cost in gas for me. Its still cheaper than flying. And I so want to meet Henry and Meggie :-)

I have my doctors appointment next week so I'll see what she says. Keeping my fingers crossed and not owning this illness until I get a definite diagnosis. I try not to even think about it.

After all these fab veggie photos think I'll go fix me a salad. See what ya'll started !

Brinda, what a treat from Ted! He's the greatest! Who else would hang out with all us crazy women :-)

Hi Sue! Hi Lavinnia!

Joyce

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The nerve of that hussy and her Momma Kell!

It is hot, I am not a happy camper either, nor are my plants. Could be worse though, could be humid too!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Kell.. So glad your back. So sorry that B$%@h is after your DS..

Hope it cools off for you soon.. you sound hotter than it is here! LOL and it's 98

(Zone 9b)

You guys are going to fast for me. While I typed the above, you all posted so much more. Hey Joyce, when your tomatoes come in, I am coming to see you. I love home grown tomatoes. Your garden looks so good. I wish I had room at home.

Will you 2 go beat those 2 up for me?? I have never sever seen anything like it, such a sales job. The hussy girl went after my son while the hussy Mom tried to do sell the union to me. And then I found out that the hussy Mom had been emailing my kid BEFORE the barbeque to try to hook them up, GEEZ! Had I known my kid was so dumb, the girl so naturally talented and the Mom so determined, I would have forbidden the kid to come to the barbeque! Shoot, I didn't even know there was a plan in motion!

I was in Marin today and my car said it was 108. I was dying. I bought heirloom tomatoes, Vietnamese basil, 10 kinds of squash (I just counted), donut peaches, yellow cherries, fresh peas and my favorite baby eggplant to barbeque. Remember those Brin?

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

PS
JadaJoyJoyce, or JJJ, I will be sending all best wishes your way. Talk about being under stress!

And here is the rest of my tale of my weeks worth of woe though after thinking about JJJ, I should stop kavetching and be happy!

No.3 I have been trying with no success to clean out my driveway of PLANTS and came face to face with my insanity. It was hard to deny!

No.4 My husband actually raised his voice to me. He NEVER does that! Of course I instigated it by leaving plants on his side of the driveway and my 2 new plant stands were laying down across it because I was painting them on his side because I have no room on my side! Sounded so reasonable to me! Geesh!!

But he had the nerve to move them when he came home so he could fit his car in. When I heard that, I mouthed off and he responded in kind. I was crushed but acted indignant and falsely maligned so he spent the rest of the evening trying to make it up to me. Still, I was taken aback that he would raise his voice to me. My charm may be wearing thin after 30 years.

This morning I asked Brin if I should stay home and work on the driveway or go to Marin to the Farmer's Market to buy tomatoes. The catch is I always go to 2 nurseries when I go the FM. Brinda told me to go!! So I did being of little character. I however resisted going to my usual nurseries but did go to 4 others that were not favorites in hopes of not finding any must haves. Look what I found at 1 nursery! OH SHOOT! I am being stalked by coleus.

PSS Welcome Pretty Sue!

Thumbnail by Kell
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Let me at her Kell I've got some major frustrations I could take out on the mom.. LOL

To cool you down Kell.. I've got Beefsteak, Roma, Belgium Giant and Black Krim. Tomatillos, eggplant, okra, bell peppers, green beans, cantaloupe, yellow watermelon, artichoke, zucchini, cilantro, jalapeņos, green onions, radish... oh and cukes..
Now that I'm just watering and harvesting.. it's so fun! I wanna plant more! I don't care for squash.. but I just learned I love Fried Green Tomatoes!

Kell, for a minute I thought that was part of your driveway!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Me too!!! I thought it was her shopping cart!!!!!!!!!!

(Zone 9b)

LOL you 2, if my driveway looked like that, I would keep it that way and Tom might be thrilled. Well maybe not. LOL

Oh Joyce, I may move in with you. I love fresh veggies! Do you cook too?

Tom is cooking tonite, thank God. I crocked the other night ox tails. How could I know they would be gross. I made a huge pot and Tom may never get over them. LOL Works for me! He made me a lemon drop with Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Creme. A bit of heaven on earth! I need to remember to drink more.

Thumbnail by Kell
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Kell.. I'm gonna go get a box of depends for our visit.. I know I'm gonna need em! (That's what I told Brinda) LOL I can only imagine how much we would laugh..

This is my second ever garden.. and I'm enjoying it so much! I want more stuff to plant. I worked on the compost for a whole year.. so it is paying off now!

No.. I'm not much of a cook. The old guy down the street wanted some green beans with bacon, onions and garlic.. so I finally had enough.. I steamed em first and ended up eating the whole batch with nothing on them.. They never made it to the onions and bacon. They were divine. I had to take some to my mom.. even though she won't wear her teeth.. she loved em! (She's 94) He is gonna have to wait for the next batch. LOL

When I fixed the fried green tomatoes, Logan was grocery shopping, so he missed out again! An old lady across from him stopped me and took the plate! LOL So fun to share with the people who really enjoy it.

I did fix some zucchini with bacon, tomatoes, garlic & onions and got that to Logan, so he isn't totally without. LOL He shares asparagus and pears and all kinds of stuff with me when they are in season.. every year.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning all,
My Burro isn't in the living room yet.
Well yesterday was like a birthday. I got 3 pkgs. 2 new ergonomic shovels and a 'Fuller' Vegetable Curler and Slicer.
I will now be the most awesome cook and gardener. LOL
Now with Joyce possibly coming down I must get oh so much done. I am setting under a bough of Stargazer lilies. They smell so good.
Later
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh my, so much to read and so little time!!! You all have been busy and I knew I was missing the fun last night, I could just feel it. LOL

Sue! Welcome back, you've been missed!

Wow ZZ... you have a major garden going on there. I would love to have the room for all of that. And everything looks so healty too! How do you find the time to do everything that you do? WOWOW!

Oh Kell! I'm really sorry about this little gold digger that's after your DS. And no wonder she's such a floosie... look at her mom! That one didn't fall far from the tree, did she? Go get'er!!!! And don't be gentle! Did you ever call T?

My, my Kelley! What a nice haul from the Farmer's Market. Please tell me, how will you fix the squash? I see squash there that I've never seen before. And yes, I do remember those baby eggplant... I have mouthwatering dreams of them. LOL

Janet, I looked and I still don't see any fruit. I bent way down and almost fell on my head but I didn't find any. LOL But I'll keep looking! So tell us what you will do today? I'm always amazed at your energy and everything you accomplish! I just wish I were so motivated!!!!

Joyce, I am thinking of you and holding you close.... praying that you get good results! Are you enjoying all your beautiful gardens? I heard you bought yourself a new car for your birthday! Way to go....

Where's Lala? Please Lala... show us some beautiful pics as I know you're been working so hard on your gardens.

Sidney? What's up with the donkey story? Are you cohabitating with a donkey? Tell all.... please! LOL

I got a dmail from Ted and he told me that 'those were hot kisses and I'd need to wait til they cooled down'! LOL I thought that was so cute! Ted, everything is perking up and looking good!!!! I'm in love with LiveWire and so thankful that you sent it back to me. I just loved it last year and that is one of the most difficult coleus to photo... it ranks right up there with Zesty Zuchinni in difficulty. LOL

Kell, I wasn't going to say anything but everytime I think about Ox Tail it makes me want to gag!!! What would make you want to cook it? Did the house smell bad? Did the skunk come back when it was cooking?

Well, I've been out with my morning coffee, looking at all my pretties and also looking at everything I still have to do. I think my 'to do' list is longer than my 'have completed'. Here is a pic of my hangapots. Now don't laugh... I'm praying that they'll fill in and be beautiful in a few weeks. Either way, I'm loving them now!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 9:21 AM

Thumbnail by Brinda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.