Coleus Chatters thru June 22nd...

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Oh Brinda,
LOVE the hanging pots! They look so good they way you have them arranged. Do you have any trailing coleus to go in them cause I could send some if you want. I so admire your creativity. They look good now so I know in a few weeks they will be just gorgoues.

Thanks for the well wishes. I figure if she says I have this disease then I'm gonna party like its 1999 ( as per Prince) and if she says I dont, I'm gonna party anyway just to celebrate! ( and then try taking better care of myself which I dont do).

Sidney.... your donkey had me worried for a minute:-)
The shovels are gorgeous! I just might get one, just to hang up and look at :-)
I'm stargazing too!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been getting high this morning! HAHAHAHA You'd think so with all of the painting I've done since hubby left for work.

Let me show you what Sidney inspired me to do. She mentioned in another thread about painting some garden art with chrome paint. Well remembering how it splattered, etc. last time I used that paint, I decided NOT to use the chrome, but instead to use my hammered metal paint on some of the garden critters I had. I've had some of these things for years. They all came from Goodwill and have all seen better days. Some were whimsical and some were just "because".

It all started with that sprawled out frog. It was plastic and gaudy. 49 cents from Goodwill. He's got corroded batteries in him, but he still ribbits when you walk by. I'm not going to the trouble to get that crap out of him, but thought I could at least dress him up to sit around my yard.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's the second bath of critters.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I've used up my edits for the day but you all can just imagine there's a "C" in the word bath.

Now I didn't think to get before photos. But I did have some photo of these things already in my files.

Here is the snail before and after.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They're really beautiful.!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And one of the sleeping frogs

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I think they look so much better than they did. I'm getting my money's worth from those new cans of paint.

This jack rabbit is heavy metal. He was so rusted that he was more red than grey.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This turtle is resin and he was faded something fierce. he's got a new lease on life (in my yard) today thanks to that paint.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This frog is concrete. He used to be in my oldest sister's yard. He is a sprinkler that hasn't sprinkled in years. He is chipped and was hideous, but now he's beautiful again. Diana would have been so pleased to see him looking beautiful.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And this is the bird cage that I have spent the past 2 days painting.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I painted so long the other day that my index finger was numb for hours afterward.

The cool thing is that this garden art will be color coordinated throughout the yard and look so much better than the cheapo things I originally purchased.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow... that's so cool!! You know my neighbor gave me a contraption that attaches to a spray can and it's a trigger... like a gun? He said they sell them at the hardware store. With all your doing, it's worth looking into.
I got into the stone look paint one year.. I did cabinets and drawer fronts in the other house! Turned out great.. sounds hinky.. but it was so pretty.

You've inspired me to get some ugly pots painted!!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow, love this idea, I am so ready to hit the Goodwill's! Ross discount stores around here has those cheapie looking resin ones too that would look so much better painted differently. Oh oh, and I should check Big Lots. What's nice is that it's all color coordinated now and not a mish-mass of garden art to distract from the plants.
Have you tried the faux stone spray paint? Probably have and I just missed that. If so, how does it hold up outdoors?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I haven't tried the stone paint, other than painting the walls in my bedroom with it. It was more granite textured though and really looks fantastic.

ZZ, I've seen those sprayer things. They are for use with pourable paint. A guy I used to work for had one and his leaked like a sieve and made a big mess. I know a few professional painters that use them though and they are great for covering a big area in little time.

I'm just a backyard painter though that's forever looking for something to cover up with that paint.

I can't remember if I've told you folks about this paint or not... so if I'm repeating myself, just ignore me.

I went to buy more of this paint the other day. Originally it came in a regular spray push button paint can. The paint was to be used on metal. I'm here to tell you I've used it on just about any surface imaginable. Rustoleum has changed their packaging and now the paint comes in a trigger type sprayer and it says it's for all kinds of materials. The price went up by $2. so I bought as much as I could. Came out with $75 less in my pocket. I use this stuff for everything and really like the way it covers and protects.

Not only does my garden art coordinate, but my planters will too. I've used it on plastic pots last year and only one of the pots has it chipped off down towards the bottom of the planter. I probably didn't get a good coat on it there, so won't blame the paint for that.

Last year, I used just one color per item. This year, I'm mixing the colors and really like the richness of the colors. I can always go back and give a touch up to those I did last year.... with a different metal color. ^_^

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Brinda! I've been working mostly on containers lately. I thought I'd try my hand at selling a few baskets and was shocked when not only did I sell every one I'd made (except one) but was then commissioned to to make 9 more. I closed shop after doing those 9 yesterday and now intend to concentrate on finishing up my gardens. I still have 2 beds full of weeds! The flowers in them look great though. LOL.

I'll be back when I'm caught up to catch YOU up.

(Thanks ZZ for the email prompting me to check in.)

Took a few shots of the coleus I picked up yesterday at Target, actually left them in the car overnight so no one would see I bought more plants, I am so bad, (not as bad as that Kelley!)

These were in 1 gal pots, bigger than I usually like to get but they were as cheap as some 4" pots from other nurseries.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

So at that size, I figure I can take several clippings and make more.
This one I loved for it's bright center, I know I had it last year too, should check my images for names, too much to remember!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

and that one above was planted with another variety, love those 2-fer-1 dealies!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! Those are beautiful Sue! Your 2nd one reminds me of Festive Dance. The more sun it gets, the more that center creeps out.

It is striking isn't it?!
Here's one I picked up last month, now planted in a big mixed pot. It is so striking with that strong yellow variation. Oranges are my favorite colors in most plants lately, they are so vibrant in the garden. Used to hate it, I was a pink and lavender person, now I have come full circle and love the tropical warm colors with blues and purples mixed in. That's why coleus work so well!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

ooooooooooooooohhh Prrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettty!!! You've got some awesome photos of these coleus. You do a marvelous job of capturing them. No wonder I see so many of yours in the plant files.

I run around with my camera everywhere, and every morning I go out to see what's new, right now I am getting my daylilies blooming and last month it was new roses. Here's a new mini rose I just took this morning, it's so sweet, I love them with the edges dipped in rouge like that!
I collect so many things, it's nice to enjoy something from month to month and here we have the long season to enjoy coleus until almost Dec. sometimes if the cold snaps come later.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Is this what you were thinking of? This is what I was talking about.. I might not have explained it very well...

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

No, my boss had a thing that you poured paint into and it sprayed out. More for walls, The name Handy Sprayer comes to mind, but that was many years ago.

That looks pretty nifty! I'll have to check out hardware stores for one of those. Doesn't look too expensive and might keep my finger from going numb! HAHAHA

Sue that's a gorgeous rose!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Janet that spray can 'gun' attachment is a God-send.
That gold frog isn't asleep he's sun bathing.
I still want you to get that can of chrome's spritzer cleaned and spray one of those critters solid chrome. I'm tempted to get some chrome tootoo.
We parked at an obscure parking lot yesterday in DT Jacksonville.
and saw a slew of broken safety glass. Such a sparkles in a pale blue.
Sidney

Sue, you take great coleus pics! Whats your secret?

One of my classes is over two more to go. I celebrated with a grand combination platter of fish. It was so good! It included shrimp, scallops, crabcakes,filets, hush puppies and cole slaw, enough for two people or one hungry me. I forgot to tell them to substitute the oysters, yuck! had to get them off my plate to eat the rest of it. I cant understand why anyone would want to suck down poo in a membrane. To me, oysters are just little chitterlings, except the chitterlings get cleaned and cooked before eating.

I imagine the first person to eat an oyster was on an island, starving and desperate. He held his nose and swallowed and since there was nothing else to eat he gathered up more of them to take to his family and told them it was GOOD so they would eat it and not starve. I think we have been believing this lie ever since. LOL!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Quoting:
I forgot to tell them to substitute the oysters, yuck! had to get them off my plate to eat the rest of it. I cant understand why anyone would want to suck down poo in a membrane. To me, oysters are just little chitterlings, except the chitterlings get cleaned and cooked before eating.

I imagine the first person to eat an oyster was on an island, starving and desperate. He held his nose and swallowed and since there was nothing else to eat he gathered up more of them to take to his family and told them it was GOOD so they would eat it and not starve. I think we have been believing this lie ever since. LOL!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh Joyce!!! That was SOooooooooooo funny! I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing so hard. Tears were streaming down my face. You do have a way with words!

So glad one of your classes is over. I'm keeping you in my prayers Sweetie. We both know that God's miracles happen every day. And we also know that HIS Will will be done regardless of what we think or say. Many hugs coming your way!

The rain put a beautiful glow on the outside this afternoon. I was able to finish a few more crittery paintings. Already had the "stuff" out there and need to get it put away. Planting will be tomorrow morning right after I get the back yard mowed.

Thanks for your prayers Janet! I can feel your hugs :-)

Thanks Joyce, I just maneuver the camera around until I get a good angle, even then it's a hit and miss. LOL, and I take LOTS of pictures (see my PF contributions, I should get a life!) and toss plenty too.

Sue..... whatever you are doing, your doing it right! Your PF pics are to die for. You should go professional!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Joyce, I am laughing so hard... well almost! I too hate oysters and just the thought of them makes me cringe! But you really described them to a tee for me! Yuck & YUCK~!!!!!

Awww... Oh!!! My heart is breaking right now! I got a call a couple hours ago that my little Xander had fallen at school and cut his bottom lip. His parents were on their way to get him and when they got there they found out that he had fallen off the teeter-todder and when the seat came up it hit him in the bottom of the chin. That made him bite all the way through his bottom lip. Chase said it was more than an inch wide and he almost bit his bottom lip off.

I can hardly type this without tearing up. They are at the ER right now and waiting for a plastic surgeon to come in. I feel really bad but I decided to stay home as I'm the kind of person that I can't stand blood and I would be crying right along with him which would make things so much worse. And the thought of them restraining him on a papoose board makes me crazy!!!!!

They are going to sedate him when it's time and then Chase & Kendall will have to leave the room when they 'fix it'! Oooohhh... my poor Baby! My heart is breaking into pieces just thinking about him. I know he's gonna need his Mimi when this is over and I'm placing a huge bet that this is the first place they come. I just can't wait to see him! Please send good thoughts for him!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Brinda. I am so sorry to hear about Xman and his boo boo. That had to hurt so bad! It hurt just reading about it. Saying a special prayer for the little man and hoping that the plastic surgeon is a great seamstress.

Hugs to you and another one to share when he gets there to have you hold him.

Janet

Poor baby! I know his Mimi will take good care of him and make sure he gets lots of TLC. Standing by with you and praying till you post that he is ok.....

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh goodness, Brinda, sending good thoughts, big hugs and cartons of ice cream for you and your little Xman! Poor little guy. I'm sure the hospital people will take good care of him. My little sister fell off the slide when she was about 5 and had to get stitches, and all she remembers was the cute little finger puppet she got. I wanted one too. Keep us posted!

jadajoyce, I'll take all those oysters, just make sure they're breaded & fried! I've had 'em raw and have to agree with your descriptions. Various colorful words come to mind.....

Janet, your gilded treasures look fantastic! You are an inspiration! I'll be scouring the thrift shops for rescue-able critters that I can breathe new life into, with just a wave from my magic spray gun!

Calif_sue, your pictures are really beautiful! Good score at Target. Our local Target did away with their garden center (the horror- I almost boycotted them) when they went to the Super Target with a grocery store. I can't hardly walk through the frozen foods aisle without shedding a tear for the plant stands that used to be there. :-(

I'm practicing my pictures again, trying to capture the coleus in the best light, sometimes it works, and sometimes, it's just plain bleck. I like this one of Roseo, not liking the weeds so much, though.

Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

Great shot Cathy! your practice is paying off.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Brinda, any news on the Xman? Still praying here for his wittle wips.

Cathy, great shot of Romeo! All that painting does kind of make me feel like a magician. Can't wait until tomorrow when I can get some photos of the last pieces I did today. I surely had a lot of fun!

I was very pleased with this shot this morning. I know Garnet Robe and Strawberry Drop. Can anyone ID those other 2?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi all.. just checking in. Xman just got out of surgery. They called the plastic surgeon in and ended up that he got a little over 30 stitches. His Mom & Dad are now in the room with him and he's sleeping. Not a fun night at all but things do seem much better than they did a few hours ago.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and prayers! I love you all!!!

Oh my Brinda, poor baby!
DH did that when he was a young teen, teeth went right thru bottom lip when someone tripped him while ice skating. His lip was so swollen for days, couldn't eat so it was slushies and milkshakes for a while. I still remember that! He has a small scar, barely visible from the repair the plastic surgeon had to do.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Awww Poor lil guy! It's so hard to go with them... I know.. both my kids have had stitches... It was all I could to to remain standing.. Sending thoughts and prayers of healing and strength. Poor baby.. :-(

Great pics Cathy! I'm trying to learn to photo them too.. too hot out today to do anything.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

30 stitches, wow. Poor little guy. Give him a hug for me! Does he call you Mimi? I think he's your grandson? Not sure of the family tree, we have a regular patchwork quilt here. My youngest half sister called her half brother's grandmother (not her grandmother) Mimi and I always loved that name. How's that for clarity?!

ZZ, the little babies are doing well, I potted them up from the little cells I put them in when I got them, up to 4 inch pots yesterday. We might get some rain today, I'm hoping! Have you ever grown the brug Madeira? I bought a cutting last year and it's got a couple of buds, and they kind of point up, not so droopy like the others. I don't find it in PF.

Janet, that combo in the pot is really pretty. I feel the need for some of those sphagnum planters...

Cathy

Green Fantasy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.