Coleus Chatters thru June 22nd...

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh Brinda, Thats terrible. I am glad that he is ok, He's gonna need his Mimi very soon, So when you go see him, Remember to give him lots of hugs and kisses from us Too!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I am so glad that your little man is OK. It's just as bad for the parents and Gparents to go though. I get pains in my legs when I think about it. Oh my, Oh my.

XXOO

Hap

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Cathy. I love that Ostrich. It's hard to see him though, so I am going to take the coleus out of there soon and move him to another area where he'll get more visibility.

I've got a milk crate that I painted yesterday that I will put moss in and make a container planting from. That crate has been sitting in a boat on the side of my house for years. When I shared my Many Holed Coleus Planter idea with Onewish, she said she'd like to do a milk crate. Sounded great to me. I'm going to try it out.

I've learned to watch the thrift stores for things that could be used with the moss.

Speaking of the MHCP, I wrote an article for Dave's about it and it will be out on Thursday. I figured it was too good of an idea not to pass along to the rest of the DG family. And why not get paid for it! ^_^

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
(Zone 9b)

Joyce, that paint spray gun is what Tom uses when he wants me gold. Works great.

Geez JJJ, I had 4 oysters just last night and not during 1 swallow, did I realize I was eating poo in a membrane. Shoot for sure. Barf time.

I really think you girls have no clue. If you had the best, you would be begging for sea poopoos.

I fixed these for you guys! Come on over!

Thumbnail by Kell
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell,

Great photo for me, but not for those that don't like 'em. I like them fried best. Especially those big fat juicy ones that dribble down your chin! If I've got a choice on a seafood menu, I'll choose the oysters every time. I like oyster stew too, but don't fix it nearly often enough.

I only had them raw once or twice. The first time was at a lunch with 2 of my bosses at a job I'd just started. I was trying to impress them (at 19) and thought I was going to die when it slid down my throat. Felt like a big slimy bugger! HAHAHAHA I looked up and both of them had the silliest grin on their faces. They were much older and wiser than I. I did try them again several months later and they weren't as bad as I remembered, but I still prefer them fried.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yummy!!!

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Janet, love that description of the oyster sliding down your throat- yup! Breaded and fried with some nice horseradish cocktail sauce, now that's good eatin'!

(Zone 9b)

I will admit I love fried too. Years and years ago I used to have the best fried oysters in Boston at Legal Seafood. Also at another place, shoot, my memory is gone. This is going to make me nuts all day long trying to remember. Remember the fried clams with the bodies? So good. Gosh, I am always ready to eat even so early! It is 6:30. I got up thinking of our Brin and her Xman. I wish she would email. I bet she is with him right now giving him lots of love and kisses. I hope his lip is not swollen and hurting.

Here is a pretty coleus I found yesterday, Burnt Sienna.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell, I grew up right outside of New Bedford, MA and I miss fried clams, clam cakes and all that yummy seafood so much! I also miss the wonderful Portuguese food that was available. Linguica and chourico, and the sweet bread and malasadas on Sunday mornings. Thanks for the reminder down memory lane!

Burnt Sienna is really pretty!

(Zone 9b)

Remember the lobster rolls? Oh I may not be able to wait for Tom to get up and cook me breakfast. I am thinking of an English muffin with a Brandywine tomato and a piece of soft Asiago cheese melted over the top. A lobster hunk would be great too but I am fresh out.

I didn't even want to say the L word. My record is eating 3 whole steamed lobsters in one sitting.

Brinda, hope your Xman is feeling better!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Brinda - just read about your Xman - so sorry to hear what happened - will be watching to see how he does. Lots of T&Ps for your little guy. Em

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Quoting:
I really think you girls have no clue. If you had the best, you would be begging for sea poopoos.

The best? Kell, how do they rate them? The ones with the most poo are the best? NO thanks.
Now lobster, I could eat lobster all day long. My platter was so good, I have had my craving satisfied for a while. I wish I knew you liked them I would have sent them to you. They might have been a little slimy but maybe that would have made them 4 star :-)

I'm not a food addict so I dont know, but a lot of the seafood here comes from the Chesapeake Bay which has some pretty good seafood, but what do I know :-)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Sweet Em! Please don't be a stranger around here! I still owe you a lasiocarpella and I have them sitting in water and I need to send it to you! Dmail me your addy please and it will remind me to get things packed up and to you!!!!

Xman left the hospital sometime after midnight. I didn't see him as he slept most of the way home and had a fairly decent night. I talked to him earlier on the phone and he wasn't too happy as he's having a tough time eating anything because his lip & face are swollen. Poor thing! But he is fine and will be OK... they won't let him outside for a week, I'm guessing because they don't want him running and taking a chance on splitting it open??? again. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers everyone!!!

Nasty, Oh So Nasty! LOL All this talk about poopie oysters. I'm getting an education and keep remembering why I don't like them. LOL Actually, I have never tried raw oysters and have plans to never try them in my lifetime. I've had fried and they were just the nastiest thing I think I've ever had in my mouth. Almost like a piece of tread off a tire and tasted just as bad!

I just skimmed over posts. I'll be back later as Allan has me moving stuff around so he can mow. Man, I bet he wishes that I'd hurry up and get my mess cleaned up! LOL

Have a beautiful day everyone....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good News, Brinda!!

(Zone 9b)

First and most important they must be so fresh, JJJ. I mean right out of the water that day or the next. Freshness makes all the difference. Also just opened! The longer they stand opened, the deader they are. The best we have are at Hog Island where we eat them minutes out of the water. I prefer small, chunky bodies.

Before I knew better, I used to think they were slimy too. One of my biggest regrets in life was when my brother got married years ago and his FIL had a rowboat full of oysters sent to the wedding party from his oyster farms in Rhode Island. My husband among others, stood next this rowboat the entire celebration feeding their face with free oysters. LOL! At the time I thought, ICK!!!

Fresh are not slimy. But they have a firm texture with the taste of the sea. They should be at a cool temp too, not warm. Also you do not want to eat them when they are close to spawning for they get too soft and mushy.

There are so many different kinds of oysters and all have a different flavor and even look. The Chesapeake Bay native oyster is the Atlantic oyster which sadly is dying out. They have been so over harvested and also many have died from a couple of aquatic diseases prevalent in the Bay there. So sad. My favorites are the Sweet Water oyster from Tomales Bay here and the Kumamoto originally from Kumamoto Bay in Japan but now farmed also in Tomales Bay.

This is my favorite sauce for them taken from Hog Island. http://www.hogislandoysters.com/template1.php?pageId=11

Hog Wash
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup natural rice vinegar
1 large shallot, peeled and finely diced
1 large Jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning everybody!

So sorry to hear about the Xman's injury. Sounds like you better have plenty of ice cream and a blender handy. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Kell loved your new coleus you found. Very colorful just like I like em. I was outside watering and planting more coleus as well as taking a few cuttings. It was hot, hot, hot.

You gals have been talking about food and though I'm not a big oyster fan, I am going to say "Adios" so I can find me some lunch.

Got the family coming over to celebrate my son's birthday later today. We are grilling burgers. His actual birthday is the 25th and he'll be 15. Hard to believe.

Take care and stay cool,

Patty

(Zone 9b)

Oh Brin, if the Xman is stuck inside all week he will go nuts! I am so glad to hear he is already rebounding. Too be so young again! I bet he heals up fast.

You have never had good oysters, Brin! I promise you, if you had Tom's fried oysters you would be heaven. Also the smaller they are, the easier to down them. I also think they are sweeter too when not huge. I buy the extra small ones.

Does anyone else see that some letters are green on these posts? Gosh I hope my eyes are not getting bizarre.

I need to get going to the Farmer's Market to get a huge bouquet to bring to dinner tonight. Someone is going to cook for us so I need to really show my appreciation. I love anyone who cooks for me. I was going to go back to bed for a while but too late now. I so need to be pushed out the door.

Thumbnail by Kell
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Brinda. They ought to out law teeter totters!
I got dropped so many times and remeber getting a goose egg from one such.
Bless little Xander's heart.
So glad the Plastic Surgeon was available. I can't imagine dealing with that as a toddler or GM of one.
Just hold him peacefully for a minute and I will send him all healing hugs.
Yep the Chesapeake's Crabs and Oysters are yummy.
Oysters are a matter of taste and I have eaten them every way I've heard of.
I've even had Oysters Sidney... open faced oyster with crumbs, butter and Parmesan cheese broiled and served with butter.
I think they are best steamed and dipped in butter.
I'll take all oysters you don't want.
You can have all my eel.
Hug

(Zone 9b)

Oh Sidney, I have never heard of eating oysters like steamers. I can't quite picture it. Interesting. Oysters Sidney sounds so good.

Hi Patty! I hope you have a great celebration today. Lucky you to have your son still home and still beholden to you. Happy Birthday to him!

My kid has not talked to me since last Sunday night when I expressed my unhappiness with his behavior with hussy girl. I didn't take or return his call that night and then later in the week, he didn't return my call or his Father's. Teach me! Plus he was offline so I couldn't even IM him. He is never offline. Then last night I got an email saying his phone is broken. LOL. And he is in Indiana. Kind of far to go to get away from me. I guess when your son is 26, you need to shut your mouth. But I never learn, I have a lecture ready to give.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Brinda, so sorry about your grandson. I know what it's like to stand by helpless while a child is undergoing treatment for a serious injury. My sympathies.

Kell, posting that picture was downright mean! I'm with Joyce! UGH and double YUK!!! My son's a chef and he and DH love to just slide 'em on down while I'm grossing out. Gives me the creeps just thinking about them. My dad taught DS to LOVE oysters. He sure didn't get it from me. LOL

Janet, is that Garnet Robe and Strawberry Drop from the cuttings I sent? How do you like them? I planted all the cuttings I saved over winter and my balcony is loaded with them and a few others I bought from Rosy Dawn. Our weather has been weird, so nothing but the lilies are growing very aggressively. I can't wait to see my Shocking Pink and Chocolate Mint grow up!!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My SIL has a rule I've tried to adopt ever since I heard it. Door open, mouth shut. By the time they're adults they have to do it themselves. It's hard to stand by and watch them without putting in your two cents. I don't succeed all the time, but I try. Now DS is 44 with a daughter of his own, and beginning to thank me for the way I raised him. I never thought I'd live to see the day!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

yes, those are the cuttings you sent me. Unbelievable how they've just gone bezerk. They are really beautiful and I love them side by side. That photo was AFTER I'd taken cuttings for the Patty Pot.

Oh Kell
To each his own. Its all a matter of taste. We are each free to post our likes and dislikes and no matter what anyone says I dont and wont like OYSTERS! thats just me.

Quoting:
Does anyone else see that some letters are green on these posts? Gosh I hope my eyes are not getting bizarre

BTW, I dont see green on my posts but the word hog is pretty outstanding. Bizarro!

Adios amigos :-) Off to the nursery.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I am still sad for lil Xander.. I hope he is feeling better. Thank you for letting us know Brinda.. Hugs to you both.

No Cathy, I've never even heard of that one.. but I'd love to see pics! I hope the babiez take off and get big fast for you.

Oh wow Kell... Burnt Sienna is sooo pretty! Yummy! I love it.
I had oysters once... yeah.. I had to fight the urge to spit it all the way across the porch.. LOL I'm weird.. I don't like lobster either.. looks too much like a big bug.. can't get passed that.

Quoting:
Just hold him peacefully for a minute and I will send him all healing hugs.

Sidney, that has to be the sweetest thing I've ever heard.. I got a twinge like I wanted to get tears. Bless your heart.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I had oysters once... yeah.. I had to fight the urge to spit it all the way across the porch..

ROTFLMBO

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Love all the work you all are doing. Took me a while to read all the back threads.
Just got back from the Fort Worth Botanical Garden. Great place to visit. Not many coleus there at all. Got this one shot of all they had. Sorry about the little one Brinda.
Going to the East Texas Round up this week end to do a little trading and visit

Thumbnail by TARogers5
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Garden Ted. How did your coleus fare?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Lost more then half of them trying to winter over. Have enough to keep me busy.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Glad to hear little X is improving Brinda. I sure do feel for all of you. I sent you a D and will get back to you later down the road.

Hey good for you Ted! It sounds like you had a pretty successful winter (I lost 3/4 of mine, LOL!)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How do you overwinter them? In pots?

Good Morning Coleus Friends!

Its a beautiful day and I'm spending it in my garden. Here is a bouquet from my garden to yours!

Have a good one!

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful bouquet Joyce! Enjoy your morning in the garden!!!

Patty

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Click the link to go to new coleus photos on Flickr. It takes too long to load them individually on Dave's and I don't want to clutter up this thread too much. Some of us are still on dial up and these pages take forever to load.

Have a fun evening,
Juanita

This message was edited Jun 22, 2008 7:22 PM

Thanks Patty!

Juanita
Great shots! Are you in love with Peter Wonder? :-)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes Bluegrassmom, in pots.on my back porch. I am going to do better this winter.
However about 40 survived and I worked so I got several from Gebhardts and Rosy Dawn. I also found a great vendor on ebay.
It's coleus paradise time.
Several of us strive to overwinter them.
;)

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Juanita I like your coleus creations

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Juanita,

What a lovely collection you have. I really enjoyed watching your slide show. Cool looking bugs too!

Jada, Wonderful bouquet of flowers. I ought to pick some of mine to put on the table. Nah.... I'll just enjoy them in the yard!

The Grandkids pick enough of them when they are here. I don't mind when they go after the portulaca, but leave my hibiscus alone! HAHAHAHA

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Boo!

Hi All... busy weekend. Xman is much better and has a HUGE fat lower lip. He can't play or go outside, no swimming or even sweating for 3 weeks. Ugh... that's gonna be tough. He stayed with us last night and he is just so cute. That lip makes him talk so funny. It ended up that he got 8 stitches on the outside of his lower lip and 22 on the inside lower & upper. He goes back to the plastic surgeon on Monday, Wednesday & Friday of this week.

I do hope everyone is doing great! This has been one whirlwind of a weekend. I got tons done yesterday and actually completed my tropical garden and I feel like I climed a mountain. I'm smiling ear to ear just typing this. LOL

DH has now lit the tiki torches and stuck his head in to yell at me so I'm on my way outside to sit by the pool. Wish you all were here....

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful pics Juanita!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.