Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

"let see your gardens & flower beds" Part #3

Ripley, MS

Debbie, last year I kept it in a 5 gallon pot all summer. Then I took it in the house for the winter in the pot. When we got it adjusted to being outside again I got Jerry to dig a hole for it in the daylily bed. It has done so much better than it did in the pot last year. It is about 6 foot, the phlox is as tall as I am.
I have something I would like for you all to comment on, this is a bloom on a tomato, I have never seen one like this. The plant is a brandywine and it has sevin dust on it is the white stuff you see.
I am glad you had a good time, hope you hugged each other for me.
Sandra

Thumbnail by slcdms
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hummm, tomato bloom? It's huge, then offshoot of more flowers, wow!

Ripley, MS

I know, it is kind of creepy looking. I also posted on tomato forum to see what they have to say about it. We have been watching it for a few days now, I thought it would probably abort, but it is still there.
Sandra

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes Kim, thats the first thing she said she wanted and it was awesome. We got 1 augratin and 1 steak plate and split both. I don't think I've ever eaten a steak that good. And sweet little Ashley was with us. I enjoyed everything, just too short a visit. And yes I hugged Jeri for all of you too.
Sandra, I had planted my MG in my bed too. It's doing great. Maybe with all of the rain we got this afternoon , it will bloom soon.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Sis you know me too well!!! LOL!!!

Sandra that tomato blossom looks like a squash that's gonna be one big tomato!!!!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's some sunflowers for ya'll to enjoy!

Thumbnail by crissyr

I've never seen these kind of sunflowers before...

Thumbnail by crissyr

And this one...

Thumbnail by crissyr

has changed colors since it opened.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Crissy in post 5171105 That looks a lot like Strawberry Blonde Do you remember planting that one?

Crissy, your sunflowers are so pretty, I will just have to plant me some for next year.

Debbie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I am with Debbie, wanting some sunflowers just like yours. lol.
'Morning Debbie, the cannas you've asked about are in the ground.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Crissy, I, too, want a sunflower JUST LIKE YOURS! You are starting a craze.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning Martha. ((((((Hugs)))))), Christine you've done it this time with your beautiful sunflowers, Karen also did a wonderful job with those this year. lol.

Ok, here goes Debbie the Cannas bed, it's not all rosie as you thought. The path run along way this side of the house. The pic. is take North looking South, the way it works out; the southern corner the cannas are over my head, the north end it's barely 8" tall at most. So, cannas need sun, sun, sun, and more water. (the silvery back drop of that a eucalyptus tree behind the truck).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What's new in the garden today? A cardoon in bloom. The flower surprised me with joy this morning. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is a link on the tomato's blooms above:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/857156/

Ripley, MS

Thanks Kim, maybe we can have a whopper from that bloom-lol
Sandra

Kim, no matter which way you take the pictures, yours cannas are beautiful and green. And that's it...........I'm coming to your house and taking your cardoon. What fabulous different kinds of plants you have. That's three that I've seen of yours in the last three days that I must have now. Shhh, don't tell, I'm going plant shopping on the web. I'll let you know what I find and ask you before ordering.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Purchasing trees on the web? I won't do that again. They'd send you sticks, nothing more than a twig to marvel over for. I'd check with Forest Hills, or have them order it for you. That way you'd get big, healthy plant for better prize. The cardoon, if you would wait. I'd save up seeds. :-)

Ok, I don't want sticks. LOL I just looked at 5 different companies, but I'm not impressed, so I will gladly wait for seeds and have a beautiful plant for next year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

^_^

I don't know what they were, my husband bought a package of 4 different types of flowers at Home Depot last spring. One of the types of flower seeds were washed away in a heavy rain, so I have these two in the flowerbed plus the sunflowers.

Oh my! I am harvesting the seeds from all of these flowers, the sunflowers, zenna's (however it's spelled,) and the orange and yellow ones in front, even though I don't know what those are. I'm going to assume I'll have enough to share...

Thumbnail by crissyr
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Those orange and yellow ones in front look like some type of lantana, Crissy. What do you think, Kim? A close-up would help us to tell better.

Here is my only sunflower this morning, Crissy. By the way, did you all get a rain this morning? We had a really nice shower--Hooray!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is what my lantana looked like a few days ago, Crissy. Do your flowers look like these?

Thumbnail by marsue

WOW I love the pictures of the river!!!! That belongs in a painting! Any artists here?

I know I have a close up of one of those yellow and orange things...Ah! Here it is. Anyone know what these are called?

Thumbnail by crissyr
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

No, not lantana--looks more like coreopsis of some type to me.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Click on this link, Crissy and see if this is what you have.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/12746/

Once you get to this link you can keep clicking on "Next Image" and it will take you to more pictures.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 2:30 PM

Thanks marsue! I have a really retarded question, how do you make a link?

They kinda look like that, but the seeds are definitely different. Let me get a picture...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's not a retarded question, Crissy! LOL I had to learn how to make a link when I was new to DG. You just go to the photo or post that you want to link to and put your cursor on the browser at the top of the page and right click on it and then "copy" it. Then you go back to the place where you want to post the link and click on "paste" and voila! -- There's your link. Sometimes if you have already started your post and want to add a link, it is best to open another window so you won't lose your post because anytime you leave a post without sending it, you will lose whatever you have already typed. Is this making any sense to you? If not, you can probably find the answers to most questions you will have about this type of thing in the FAQ's here on DG.

DANG! There was a hummingbird that was staring at my camera at the perfect distance away. The very second the picture took, it flew away.

Man, they've moved the thunderstorm watch to western AR. There's nothing going on, I just don't want my sunflowers destroyed, or knocked over again.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I meant to tell you that you can find the FAQ's at the top of this page in the dark blue bar.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry you missed the picture with the hummer! :o((
Yep, those definitely look like some type of coreopsis to me. You can go to plant files and type in "coreopsis" and you will find several different types to choose from. Maybe you will be able to find what kind you have over there.

LOL I know about losing the message that you are in the middle of typing. Done that quite a few times now LOL Here's another pic of seeds.

Thumbnail by crissyr

I'm going to go look, I'll brb.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57594/

Ok, lets see if this link thing works

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yep, it worked! See how easy that is? and it looks like you found your coreopsis!

Well, it didn't work exactly the way I wanted it to. These are perennials! I have a Flying Saucer!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62935/

Well, it's not linking the picture. Maybe it's not supposed to. So can I deadhead them now and save the seeds in a paper bag to put in a different location next year? I'm going to have to read up on these

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yep, coreopsis are perennials, okay, and you can separate them at the end of the season in the fall and transplant them where ever you want more of them to grow. I did that with one of my plants last year and now I have several of them blooming in different parts of my yard. Sometimes, they can get a bit aggressive so you will need to watch them and make sure they don't take over.

edited to add: I didn't save the seeds--just separated the existing plants. You'll have to ask someone else about saving the seeds. I don't seem to do well with starting plants from seeds although others have great success with it..

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 3:23 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.