"let see your gardens & flower beds" Part #3

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL the only way I've been able to get seeds to grow is buy a bucket of the wildflower seeds and spread them everywhere! My hubby planted these.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Christine, your hubby did a fine job. Isn't it more fun when your partner joins in and enjoys the gardening project with you? I'm planning on having some sunflowers next year, you really have inspired me there.

Ah thanks! I'm going to harvest the seeds from these and plant more next year. My hubby Dave uses egg shells and used coffee grounds to give the plants iron (I think it's iron anyway LOL)

Oh Bum! One of my sunflowers fell over in yesterday mornings storm, I went out almost immediately after it fell and I propped it up, but now it's all wilted :( :( :( :(
I wonder if the seeds will be any good if it dies.

Ripley, MS

Balloon flowers are "popping open"

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

More balloons

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Even Shorty enjoys the secret garden, he is laying and looking at it. Some mornings I have my coffee in that chair. He is a big cat now, but still my baby--lol
Sandra

Thumbnail by slcdms
Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Crissy, I've been watching your sunflowers for several days now and when I read your post about one falling over , I said out loud, Awwww. My guys think I'm nuts talking to my computer. LOL When I grow mine, I am indeed going to get those stakes at walmart before they get too tall.

And Sandra , I'll have some of the pretty balloon flowers too! Your yard must be so pretty with all of your blooms.

Ripley, MS

I don't know about how pretty it is but I surely enjoy it. I also enjoy sharing things from it too. I will have to say though, I don't have much luck with trying to share balloon plants. If you catch them in the very early spring when they have just poked out of the ground it seems they will survive a trasnplant. I do save seeds from them and will be glad to save some of those for you. I have dug into them a lot and tried to transplant but they just don't like to be moved. Kim might have some idea how to do it that she would share, or anyone if they know the secret--lol
Mine are the tall kind. I do have one dwarf blue, but I like the tall ones best.
Sandra

I'm only kidding about wanting yours. But you are so sweet to offer. I do enjoy seeing all these blooms so I can figure out what I'd like to add to my garden.

Ripley, MS

I am not kidding-I do love to share things from my garden, I will save you some seeds and you will have pretty balloons too !!!
Sandra

That's a deal. Thankyou so much.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I grew Sandra's seeds this year and gave them away at the RU at Jeri's. They are very easy to grow from seed.

From the looks of your beautiful seedlings you gave me, you can grow anything. I hope I have as much success.

I love the balloon flowers, those are really pretty. I've never even heard of balloon flowers before.

Next time the sunflowers are going against the fence, instead of against the house, so I can tie them up. That one is looking better, and it's standing up on it's own. I think I lost a wheel bug though, that's one of the plants that one of them was on.

Has anyone ever seen bumble bees "sleeping" on flowers like this? I have seen 4 bumble bees sleeping on these flowers this evening.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I saw a bee asleep on one of my passionflowers the other day. I had never seen that before.

It's the strangest thing! I wonder if this wacky weather has anything to do with it. I thought it was dead until I blew on it and it started breathing a little, then it stopped moving again. I'm trying to cut the seeds off but with the bees on them all the time I don't want to. I thought they had all left until I saw this guy.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Crissyr Those seeds need to dry on the plant to be viable. It sounds to me if the bees are still there they are no ready to be harvested.

Some are dry, some are full blooms, some are budding. Apparently these bloom all summer long :) They are Flying Saucer Coreopsis. Really cool but I didn't know they would start going to seed so soon LOL. Actually, I didn't know anything about anything I planted, we own a one man lawn maintenance "company" (we have a business license so I guess we can call it a company) and he seems to know a lot more than I do, but he knows California plants, so he plants them and does all of the fertilizing, I take care of them and learn as I go.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 9:18 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We decided to "de-construct" our rose arbor yesterday. Actually, DH decided to do it yesterday. I had casually remarked that we probably should take it down come the autumn when things go dormant and move the roses because the arbor and fence obstruct the view of the other beds when you are sitting on the porch. Also, the climbing Don Juans haven't done well this year. Our yard slopes slightly from the North to the South (which is from side-to-side on our lot) and there seemed to be a path the water would take when it rained--which was right through this arbor bed. I have defoliated the Don Juans twice this season already due to black spot. So- - - DH took me at my word and promptly got his screw gun and took the arbor apart and stowed it behind the shed. Here's a "before the de-constructon" shot. This was taken at 6:40 a.m.

edit to add: see those poor, leafless Don Juans and the yellow Sunsprites, too, to some degree.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the "after de-constructing" photo. See how it opend up the view of the entire yard. I have already moved one of the knock-out roses and I will move the rest of the plants later this week. This will make it easier for DH to mow because he won't have to mow around the arbor--he can just mow right over the garden path.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is a closer view of the rose bed and the h/b bed.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and here is an even closer view--some of you have seen this view of my h/b bed before but hopefully you can tell from this photo I took yesterday how the plants are growing and starting to fill in. It just takes patience--which is not my strong suit--LOL.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Marsue, your pics are beautiful, thanks for sharing them! Normally I would think "oh leave the arbor" but you certainly made the right decision, VERY NICE!!! What a lucky lady to have such a Sweetie for a husband!

I agree with Pat, I think. I just love arbors. What are you going to do with yours. Maybe you can put it up in another place in your yard or....... sell it to me. :) Please don't get rid of it. I sure did like it up, but I love being able to see your others beds too, so , Yes , I think it looks great.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

So guys, this stranger from Long Island made it again to your surroundings, how beatiful everything is, thanks Riverland Cind , nice thread, you guys are going to make me move to your area of the country WOW, Clemen

P.S.If my friends at the Northeastern Forum know I am here i will be in a lot of trouble, LOL

No, they wouldn't mind. I've visited with them before and they are a great bunch of folks. I love it when they are posting their winters scenes. I've never seen snow before, so I'm always amazed at their photos.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's too late to save the arbor for you, Debbie. DH no sooner had it out of the ground than he offered it to the neighbor without asking me first, naturally --typical male thinking: "if she wants me to take down the arbor, then she doesn't want to use it ever again" --LOL. That's okay, though. The same neighbor is putting up a wooden fence 6 feet tall between our yards (to fence in his dogs) so I will still have a place to transplant the Don Juan climbers to. See--it is all working out just fine.

Clem--you are welcome here anytime--"come on down"!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Marilyn everything is filling in and looking good. I am so glad you have a husband who seems to enjoy your hobby as well. I wish mine did but he doesn't. He does like a nice looking yard and is very complimentary about things I do, just don't involve him.

Crissyr I thought you was talking about seeds on your sunflower that the bees wouldn't let you at them. Sorry stepped on my own tongue there. Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Yes, Marilyn it really does look so pretty.

Cindy, next time we get together, please let me see you step on your tongue. But you must wear your hat when you do. LOL

Nite everyone.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Cindy. My DH does enjoy the flower gardening as much as I do. He has said many times that he would like to have been a landscape designer/architect. However, his back won't allow him to do as much as he would like to do in the yard. If he does any heavy lifting or manual labor, he pays for it for several days with back pain. :o((

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We cross-posted, Debbie. It's nite-nite time for me, too. Talk to y'all tomorrow. No, wait. I won't be here tomorrow--I'm driving down to Janie's to take her to the doctor. She has two appointments--one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. I'll be gone all day. It might be Wed. before I check in with y'all. Have a good Tuesday, everybody!

I hope you have a safe trip Marilyn and I hope your husband doesn't disassemble anything else while your gone. LOL

LOL Cindy I apologize, I do that to my husband all the time, he gets sooooooo mad! He says, "You change topics all the time and I never know what you are talking about!" When I went back and read it, for the 10,000th time, a few minutes ago I thought to myself, "Oh, I didn't say what I was talking about, Again!" I'm so sorry for the confusion, I just rattle on and on. But you're right, any help, comments, or advise is always welcome, I don't know what I am doing, just middling through it all LOL

Ok ya'll, Hubby Dave's uncle Roy is here for a week from California and I knew he was hard of hearing, but the man's almost deaf now, so you have to literally yell at him for him to hear you. Anyway, UG I'm out of my element LOL He wanted to go out to a nice steak dinner at 11:00pm on a Monday night in Malvern, and couldn't figure out why I kept telling him it was too late to go anywhere that wasn't 24hr. He said, "Well, I know I grew up in Malvern and all but why is everything closed?" Because you're not in San Jose, which has a billion people in it LOL! Anyway, I'm going nuts.

Nice yard Marilyn! Very pretty! Gives me yet another idea for my fence my neighbors have for their dogs!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Marsue, I belong with you guys alright! How does a Don Juan vine looked like, funny name, never heard of it?

Psychw2, I see that you live in Boise ID, I had a good friend in highschool that came from there, from the Symms Family, they own wineries there, Do you know them by any chance? I would love to reconnect with my friend again, her name is Mary.

Clemen

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Crissy, your yard is absolutely beautiful. Umm, not a blade of grass out of place. Somebody knows how to mow.

Here are some pix of my butterfly garden this week. Incidentally, I had my first butterfly visit yesterday. Didn't have my camera handy. I've got to put my strap back on the camera so I can carry it around and be prepared for the flittering. Problem: How to garden with a camera swinging at my side. I guess I'll get it all figured out eventually!

No. 1

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

No. 2

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

No. 3

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

No. 4 Final

Thumbnail by mwperry

Martha what a beautiful beautiful yard. Is that a banana canna in the back? I got one at the RU and I love it. Course,it's not as big as yours, but the leaves look like that.
Thanks so much for posting the pics. Just awesome.

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.