Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

"let see your gardens & flower beds" Part #3

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

and a cucumber! I saw three cucumbers today and still a ton of blossoms, I wonder how many cucumbers there are that I can't see.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Criisy, now you know I am not from this country, I mispelled the above reply, oops, now you know who I am, HE, he,
BTW, I love cucumbers, way to go crissy send me some here in NY, Clemen

Thanks Clemen! I have onions too but the cucumbers are smothering them out. They're not doing good where they're planted anyway.

And last but not least, Tiga and Dave! He'd kill me if he knew I was putting him on here like this LOL

Thumbnail by crissyr

LOL I didn't even notice it, I just read right through it! LOL I didn't know you weren't from here, how cool! Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Debbie, where is the "address exchange"? Thank you for the nice words about my yard. I don't know what a banana canna is, but I don't think mine is that. My canna came from Kim, and she didn't know the name of it. You know, Debbie, you have done a lot of hard work on your yard, and it must be rewarding. The "before" is uninteresting. The "after" is sooo pretty. It looks like what I imagine you must look like -- pretty.

Sandra, I dug my flowerbeds back in late February. That's why no harm came to my yard when I had surgery (except very droopy plants needing water)! BTW, did you get an id on your bf above?

Clemen, I love your container selections too. They have "style"! My favorite flower above is the variegated blue morning glory. I have never seen cacti blooms in containers with other flowering plants. Very attractive.

Crissy, we must have similar tastes. I love all the plant selections you copied down at Lowe's. I remember telling you that I moved my Don Juan rose because it grew over into my neighbor's yard. I believe, however, that your fence is long and tall enough to handle a Don Juan, and it would be simply stunning there. Do try it. Ohhh, I have never seen a real humming bird nest. You are so lucky. And I didn't realize hb's would flock to sunflowers as you say. I repeat, SF has to be in my repertoire next year. And, yikes, I have a cucumber vine too. Nothing but tiny tiny baby cucumbers yet.

Pat, where did you live before Boise?

Helloooooooooo, Kim. Very glad to see you again. You have a Limelight Hydrangea. Wouldn't you know. You planted it in Eden with all the others!

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Earlier someone asked me if I attached trellises to my fence for effect or what. I attached them to grow vines. I got off to a late start with my vines because of surgery. Here is what I have since planted for the trellises. They will need to grow a lot and fast!

Gold Flame Honesuckle
Moonflower
Tree Morning Glory
Cassia
Red Passion Flower

Oh, and (next posting)

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 6:51 AM

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

~ and Hyacinth Bean.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 6:51 AM

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh, yes, one more:

Rangoon Creepers (Quisqualis Indica 'Double')

See my first bloom in the square outline!!!

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 6:50 AM

Thumbnail by mwperry
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Terrific!!! Congrats on your Rangoon C. bloom Martha. My cuttings are a little bit younger, thus no sign of buds formation yet. But seeing yours that give me hope that mine isn't too far behind since your zone is tad earlier than mine. Love your plantings, everything looks so healthy. I must have missed out on your cannas posting, I'm going back and check and see how far along those has done for you. Several of mine have bloomed, other hasn't. Strange enough, those that I planted on the north side of the house did, and the one on the South side hasn't.
Kim

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Here you go, Kim.

Thumbnail by mwperry
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Look at that lush looking foliage on the cannas, I wished we've a name for it. I'm heading out to do some gardening chores while it's still nice a cool. BBL with more pics. Keep them coming Martha.
Happy gardening.
Kim

Ripley, MS

Marth, I didn't get the butterfly identified, do you know what it is, I am going back and putting the names on the pictures when someone tells me what they are. I am so glad you are feeling like being back in the yard now.
Sandra

Good morning guys, I'm sitting here and loving all of your pictures!
Yeah, I am originaly from Managua, Nicaragua, wasborn ther 45 years ago, have lived here for a long time and I became a US citizen when I was in my 20's, So since Ihave an accent and all, I still say i am a foreigner, did I spell that right! hehe, anyway tha't me in a nutshell!

Thank you Perry and Kim about the comments on my containers. I have a nice collection of Talavera pottery made in Puebla Mexico, the colors are so brilliant and beautiful. The mexicans learned this glazing technique from the Spaniards many moons ago and they perfectioned it! They are to die for, I have a collection of all sorts of fish, frogs, etc., and hang them on the walls and fences in my backyard! Here is another one of those pots with a nasturtium in bloom.

Have a nice day everyone, Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I love that! Clemen, did you not mention, you pot up nasturium all year round? I'm learning new info....yippie!

Well Kim, all summer long, they die here in the winter! Clemen

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here too, lol....I meant all growing season long. Thank you. :-) Guess what I'm going to do today? LOL.
Oh BTW, those 'babiez' you've posted earlier...they look good, here are some of mine....I see that I will have to repot some of the smaller one soon. I've found the more room I give the particular plant....the bigger the pot, the larger the plant grows. Also, these dats. behave like brugs. They both are fertilizer hogs! Just to be sure follow your fertilizer instruction. Just give them more often than the recommended label, they'll do great. Best of lucks...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Clemen, gorgeous yellow pot. I envy those who do ceramics. Clemen, have you ever heard a song that starts out like this:

♫ Managua, Nicaragua is a wonderful spot ❤ ♪
♪ ♬ There's coffee and bananas and the temperature's hot. ☀
Do da da da do dah do dah, ecetera

(Song from my childhood, years before unrest broke out. Forgot the rest of it!)

Martha

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow! Do you think you have enough, Kim? LOL Kim, can you tell if my pot is large enough for the brug.

Thumbnail by mwperry
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I grew up in Kennewick, WA, that is the South East corner of the state of Washington. It might be called the "Evergreen State" but trust me, ONLY the West side is green. I lived in a desert. I also lived 2 years in Walla Walla WA, just minutes from the Oregon border. I've been in Boise for 2 years next month.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Martha, that was me asking about the trellises on the fence. It looks like you have a great collection of vines to climb on those trellises--good job! The hyacinth bean bloom looks rather like a sweet pea.
Kim: wow! what a lot of "babies" you have!
Clemen, I too love those pots--so colorful! I bought a big pot in Mexico several years ago and my corn plant is growing happily in another pot which I placed inside the Mexican pot. I wish I had a dozen more pots like it in varying sizes!

Debbie, this is your thread so I guess we should ask you if we are getting too far off the subject of posting just photos of flower beds/gardens?

Thumbnail by marsue
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

psychw2; love to see more of your posting....and get to know more about your gardening and learn more of your zone.

Martha! Look at you go! That 'BBB' is healthy. By the look of it, it's happy as can be. That particular brug. It grows so vigorously the size of the pot may not matter much as long as we give it enough water and nutrient. 'BBB' siblings (cuttings the same time as yours, but potted sooner), they're 7-8 feet tall and wide. I sunk those into the ground to help keep them from toppled over.

As far as those seedlings above. Those are volunteer-seedlings. I can't cull them away. So I've to nuture them all to adulthood. lol.lol.
Kim

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 9:32 AM

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I have not taken pictures of the landscaping & work at this house. These are pics from a previous house. It pretty much sums up the style I like: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/779605/

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pat (May I call you Pat--it's easier to type than psychw2-LOL) I just loved your thread about the flower beds at your former home. It's sad to put so much of yourself into something and then find out that the new owners aren't taking care of your beloved flowers. I'm with you about peaceful green walls, too. Our master bedroom and bath are a lovely shade of a light mint green--it's so soothing and refreshing to me!
We'll be looking forward to seeing the photos of your new flower beds as they progress.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Pat, what a charming garden you had at your old house. In particular, I loved the bed with the grape plant and tubs of flowers. The way you arranged the climbers is so neat. Sorry the new owners took no pride. So much for the old house. Move right on in the wide wide West.

Yikes, Kim! My BBB will grow to 7-8 feet! That's about the size of my yard -- LOL. Exaggeration, but only a wee amount! Indeed you do love your flora. Me too. Can't throw any plant away. Maybe you can take the Datura to the next RU.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

RU; one of the many options. ^_^ FYI; this particular MG 'Milky Way' does reseed and will come back true to its name. This is one of the many seedlings that volunteered back from last year. Pix was taken earlier in the day, it's now closed up during day light. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Martha, of course I have, you can hear the song and see a video of it on you tube also, i believe and american man wrote it, they also made the Spanish version.
Kim those babies are looking marveloous!
Marsue, thank you, I will take more pictures of my collections later and post, see ya later guys! Clemen

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Hello everybody, sorry I've been missing in action. I am loving all of your blooms and taking notes. LOL Kim, my datura are getting very big, very quickly. Just a few weeks ago they were about 4" tall. Now they are about 2 1/2 feet tall. I planted them about 6 inces apart. Bad move. And I planted them in front of my hibiscus. Long story short, I need to move them. Is it alright to dig them and move them and when should I do it? I'm so glad you are back. :)

And this is OUR thread. Post whatever you like and I love the visits with all of my friends. Thanks for all of the photos. I'm kinda like Kim, I've run out of new yard pics , so blooms are great too.

Clemen and Marilyn. You can just mail me those pots. How beautiful. What great detail.

Sure Debbie, Fedex delivery to you, haha, Clemen

I'm sorry Martha, I didn't answer your question about the address exchange. Go to home page. In the tabs in green (located right under Communities) click on Extras. Look to the left and about the 5th selection says "address exchange". I don't think you can view other peoples addresses, unless you have already put yours in there, but I'm not sure about that.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Debbie, I'm glad you're back with us. If you need to transplant any type of plant during the heat of summer.
1. choose a cloudly, non-windy day to do so.
2. provide temporarily shading while the plant tries to reestablish.
3. water is critical, never let dried out.
4. humidity. Misting them often to keep them from drooping
5. avoid liquid fertlize immediately after transplanting (that would/could burn the roots).
6. use vitamin B-1 one tablet crushed/1 gallon of water to water the new planting - helps the root reestablish themselves -- faster than without this extra step.
Happy gardening,
Kim

Clemen, you indeed do not want me to come up to NY, cause I will take your pots home with me.LOL Do you know if I can get any that look similar to yours. They are so pretty. Or Marilyn, where did you get yours?

And Martha, evidently you haven't seen my photo. I am alot of things, but pretty is certainly not one of them. I'm just happy that the Lord gave me all of my parts. Unfortunately, I have added to the parts that He gave me just a little too much. LOL

Thankyou Kim so much. What would we do without you?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Don't mention it, Debbie, I'm glad to share my experience. Wanna see something cute? Calladium's flower or spath, or calyx ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kim, you mean to tell me that caladiums flower?!!!! None of mine ever have!! sniff, sniff, whine, whine
Debbie, I bought my flower pot at a place in Puerto Penasco, Mexico(about 4 hours from Phoenix--one hour over the border) that not only sells flower pots but also bathroom sinks and toilets that are as pretty as the flower pots. IMHO, they are much too pretty to use for the intended purpose--LOL---
BTW, I have added to my original parts, too. I think it is one of the "privileges" of getting older!!!! :o)))

Kim, I know, I love those little things. I have a couple of spaths coming up today.

My husband told me just this morning that I was getting fluffier. I guess I need to move the silver bells away from my computer. LOL

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 2:30 PM

Houma, LA

This is today of my favorite bed.

Thumbnail by dobra1629

dobra that is beauiful.

Debbie

Houma, LA

I am really proud of my rose canna seedlings. They are my favorite!

Dorothy

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Thank you Debbie for the address exchange info. Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dorothy, marvelous garden, I love the setting. Ah hah, I see a golden blooming trumpet in the background too. Nicely done!
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.