Coleus Chatters thru July 6th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/867324/

Finally things seem to be settling down around here. My daughter and her family have gone home and now maybe I can get some serious work done. And since I feel as if I've climbed a mountain or two the last few weeks... sing with me...

If you need me, call me. No matter where you are, no matter how far. Just call my name. I'll be there in a hurry. On that you can depend and never worry.

No wind, (No wind) no rain, (no rain)
Nor winter's cold
Can stop me, babe (oh, babe) baby (baby)
If you're my goal

No wind, no rain,
Can stop me, babe
If you wanna go

I know, I know you must follow the sun
Wherever it leads
But remember
If you should fall short of your desires
Remember life holds for you one guarantee
You'll always have me

And if you should miss my love
One of these old days
If you should ever miss the arms
That used to hold you so close, or the lips
That used to touch you so tenderly
Just remember what I told you
The day I set you free

Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough (Say it again)
Ain't no river wild enough
To keep me from you

Ain't no valley low enough (Say it again)
Ain't no river wild enough
To keep me from you

Nothing can keep me
To keep me from you

Ain't no valley low enough (One more time)
Ain't no river wild enough (Say it again)
To keep me from you

Nothing can keep me
To keep me from you

Coleus Cranberry Sun

Thumbnail by Brinda
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning..... Its RAINING>>>>>>>>>.....!!!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Please send some my way . . . .

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Well Dale must be doing the rain dance for "we" Floridians. I'm not just sure how MUCH he's wiggling, as we have had some nasty wind and lightening.
:)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I need rain also .

Love the pictures Kell, I will go to his site and look.

Lavina

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm watching for that rain. I actually love to garden in a slow rain, but when they come with light shows I come in the house.
I have seen a transformer blow up on the far side of my park.(500')
I sure don't want to tempt fate.
I planted alot yesterday,
Yesterday I heard a RUMBLE outside and grabbed my camera.
Here they come

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And here they go. In the background is a brick house for Joyce to buy.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Great Georgia! We got a big storm last night. Glad I didnt have to water with the hose this morning. Wish my Cranberry Sun would look like crans instead of blueberries :-) Too much heat and sun lately.

Before i started growing coleus outdoors I always wished the storms would pass by to some other area and now, I always hope they linger over my garden. Crazy huh?

Sidney, we cross posted.

Yea, storms are great except for the light shows. Couldnt really see the house in that pic but if it comes complete with my own motorcycle club, how could I refuse :-)

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Sidney, I have question. DH is considering coming in early for the 4th celebration they have at the Landing. Have you ever been, how are the Fireworks? I haven't had the chance to see a good display in a few years and I would love for that to be a deciding factor....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Dancing, dancing my life away....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Dale,

I sure wouldn't want to accidentally brush against that guy. Beautiful plants!

Well folks, I've been working most of the day on a collage for Jennifer's 26th birthday, which is tomorrow. I finally got it printed and will put it into a frame for her. I thought it turned out rather well. Printed good too. I was worried I'd have to take it some place to get it printed.

My eyeballs are so tired from looking through thousands of photos over the past 26 years.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Great collage! My daughter did 3 large ones for my last birthday [80th] She really put a lot of work into them! They are hanging on my wall. I am so proud of them!!! Lorine

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you! I had a lot of fun, though it was rather time consuming filling in as much space and resizing all of the photos to fit.

My youngest daughter, who's now 20, had some pretty wild hair throughout high school. First it was cobalt blue (it was really pretty, but I had a really hard time admitting it to her at the time), then grassy green. For Christmas one year, she was about 16 at the time, I made her a collage. It was the first collage I made where I "cut out" the photos. It took me almost a week to get that one finished.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

As you can see, she's quite a character. She was always writing in notebooks, using them like a journal, like most young girls will do. I printed that one on a full size label sheet and then put it on a journal for her to write in. She still has the journal.

Here are some that I was blessed with this week. They traveled from Texas, Thanks Ms Patty and from Ohio, Thanks Ms MChele.
They all traveled very well and none had 'fevers'.
They all looked like they had been here for weeks the next morning.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This one makes me weak kneed!
Ceaser

Thumbnail by sugarweed
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Dang, that's a looker!

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful!!!!! Sydney, what is its mame?

If its name is Ceasar its "mame" was probably Cleopatra. lol

LOL, Joy! It's name comes after Julius.
Tomorrow I'm misting everything with my Kick-a-Poo joy juice that's already planted.
I've only 'doctored' once this year and not my coleus then. Everything is in MG potting soil and just all trying to get "Giant" put at the end of their proper names.
Hope everyone sleeps tite.
Kell, I'm sure your yard is stunning with the lime and orange pots. You will post pictures.
;)

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 12:24 AM

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I think it's Caesar. Gorgeous! I love anything with lime green edges.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Sidney, Ceasar is absolutely gorgeous!!! So tell all... what is kick-a-poo juice???? I gotta know!!! LOL

Good Morning everyone!!! I'm tired! Can I whine for a bit? LOL Allan is on vacation this week and he's working me to death. I was so excited for him to be off so we could get bunches done but little did I know that I would have to work so hard. But I can say that at the end of the day yesterday, after working all day long for three days in a row that I felt so good about all the progress. It's shaping up around here and starting to look fabulous! I'm down to my last few coleus to get in containers and then I'll need to place them in their new little spaces on the property and that's THAT! Yeah!

I'm so thrilled!!! I was in dire need for more containers and I've been searching all over town and can't seem to find what I wanted. We have a Statuary World just west of town that normally has the plain terra cotta and the perfect size for one coleus for $0.99. Well... they've been out for almost a month and keep telling me that they're expecting a shipment any day now. Yeah, right.... they apparently don't know what's going on cuz any day now has yet to come. Anyway, I was out there the other day and they had over 20 of these containers sitting outside. I walked over to look at them and they were all broken but only a piece off the lip was broken on most of them. I went inside and asked about them and if I could buy them. The guy told me that they were broken in shipment and he would sell them to me for a nickel a piece. BAM, SOLD! I was thrilled!

Still, I needed more containers. We went to Chase's on Friday night for a family cookout and he had about 30 white buckets (from the place where he works, they make them) that were 1 gallon & 2 gallon. I told him that I wanted all of them. I was soooo happy about this. Allan & I drilled holes in the bottom of all of them and I painted them a copper color and they look great! Now I feel so much better! LOL

I know what Sidney, Pheadra & Kathy are doing for the 4th and I'm pouting every second of the day cuz I wanna go too. LOL What does everyone else have planned?

OK... nuff said... going back outside! Have a beautiful day everyone!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning or should I say afternoon since it's almost noon. All is well and we have some clouds in the distance so somebody find dale and have him put on his loincloth and do his raindance aiming it my way. I NEED RAIN . . . IT'S BEEN SO HOT AND SO DRY FOR SO LONG!!!!!

Got out and watered and planted a few more babies. Brinda, Mariposa looks so good with some others I had in the area like Cranberry Sun and others that I can't even remember the name of em but the colors looked really pretty. Also planted a small section of greens and red combo's so Big Chief went well with some of the ones that ZZ sent and that I had. Thank you all for sharing.

My son is going to dig me some half circles against the outside of my patio so that I can put some vines on the outside of the patio which has wooden trellis on the upper half. I tried to dig into the ground which is covered with Bermuda grass this morning, and had no luck. Getting old and decrepid is the pits. Anyway, he had me water the area to soften it while he went out to work with his dad and when he gets in hopefully he'll go out and do it. I need to run errands and get rock edgers, compost, etc. so I best sign off.

One last question: what coleus have you had luck growing in full sun?

Patty

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad you asked about the kick-a-poo juice; I was wondering that myself.

Brinda, why do you plant a lot of your stuff in pots instead of in the ground? I noticed your tropical garden was done in pots. I figured maybe so that you could move em in for the winter since tropicals require warmer temps. Are you setting pots of coleus in and around your swimming pool? Just curious. . . .

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

To heck with the kick-a-poo I want Ceasar, that is one cool looking coleus.
I need some reds in my garden.

Lavina

My Kick-a-Poo is what ever hits my hand that day. I more or less let this chorus of Garden Guardian Angels guide me.
Spray N Grow, and Fish Emulsion, maybe some epsom salt just walked around the base especially of Brugs. I also have Bayers and some 'Green' systemic that I use on the plants that have been too holey lately.
This year I let a lot of Live Oak leaves stay on the beds. They have kept a good deal of weeds out.
Just want all the kids to shine for this week end.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Patty, there are many reasons why I use containers. First I only have two different gardens in the back yard, the one I'm posting here runs along the north side of the house and even though you can't tell in this pic it is full of coleus, but right now the oxalis and caladiums are so big that you can barely see the coleus. I also have another long bed that runs along the east side of the garage and it's planted with coleus, oxalis, alocasia, colocasia and brugmansia. Picture the same as this pic but with added brugs.

Many moons ago Allan had a three legged German Shorthair Pointer that was a menace to my gardens. He dug into everything and laid on all my plants. It was maddening and it just didn't matter to him what was planted where... but I can guarantee you he would pick out my most favorite plant to dig up and lay in the cool soil. We had a horrible love/hate relationship. It was very sad, but he no longer lives here for many reasons, but gardening is at the bottom of the list. He was a big dog and needed lots of space to roam. He barked constantly and I can't tell you how many times people called the police because he was so annoying. He knew many hours before a storm would hit and he was just so petrified of thunder & lightening that he went nuts. I don't know how a three legged dog could get over a 6' stockade fence but he could do it. And if he wasn't able to do it he would chew a large enough hole in the fence that he could escape. He was crazy and I mean the dog was CRAZY!!!! I'll tell you a really crazy story about him in another post, when he jumped out of the back of a truck on I-40 and lived. I swear... he had more than 9 lives!

Anyway... Duke no longer lives here because he was getting so old that if you walked upon him while he was sleeping he would bolt at you and try to rip you to shreds. Allan and I were scared that he would do that to Braden or Xander so he lives far... and I mean far to the north of us. He left here back in 2003 and I'm guessing that he might even be dead by now because if he were alive today he would be more than 15 years old and that's pretty old for a big dog. Something funny is that I have nighmares of him running towards me (picture the movie with Bo Derek running in slow motion on the beach), he's coming home in my dream and I'm screaming NOOOOOOO!!! Allan thinks that is so funny.

So that is one reason that I had to do containers. And luckily it was his back left leg that was missing so he wasn't that great of a shot when he would try to pee on my containers.

Another reason is the bermuda grass. The thought of tackling that sounds like a nightmare to me!!! The tropical bed that I posted the pic of no longer has bermuda in it but it's so full of huge roots from the trumpet creeper vines that probably nothing would live in there anyway. So that fact that most of the stuff you see in the containers comes in for the winter, it just makes it much easier to lug all those containers in and not have to dig everything up.

Is that more info than you wanted? LOL

Here's a pic of the long garden on the north side of the house that I was talking about.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the kick-a-poo info Sidney! I did Bill's Perfect and Spray&Grow last night and Allan was griping because it smells so bad. I told him just wait til I get out the FE! LOL

Patty, we put containers around part of the pool. Here's a pic. Sorry if I already posted this one...

Thumbnail by Brinda

Oh yeah, Judith had the right spelling. He came from Gebhards.
He will go under the Knife today.
Here's a picture of another I'll keep out of direct sun.
Ducky Royal
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Good Lord Brinda your yard is pristine!
Just Beautiful.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Sidney!!!! I didn't show you the messy part!

Get a flight out here! C'mon! You really need to spend a few days by the pool. We'll have cold drinks... anything you want! C'mon! You really need to experience this hot, sultry heat with me. Catch a flight... I'll pick you up. You won't need a car! We'll lay in the pool all day and get FAT! What is that airline you use with cheap tickets?

Out of business!
LOL
';)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Crap! They should have charged more money! LOL

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

As if I didn't have enough plates spinning, I decided to list some groups of coleus plants on the Marketplace. These are rooted cuttings that are getting quite large already. 5 plants to a set. All have Zap Gnarly and Twist n' Twirl in them. (Sorry DP) A couple have Trailers and then they are filled out with some other varieties. Just thought I'd see what happens with these. There could be lots more if anyone is interested.

Back to work,
Juanita

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Janet, would you give me some advice on spray paints? Big Lots has a neat "cart" with a handle kind of like a Red Ryder except it has BIG Wheels. The wheels turn, but it's mainly for displaying plants. Anyway, the bed part is wood. It was made in China. I'm not crazy about the stain they used, but more importantly, it needs to be sealed since it will be outside and we DO get rain 2 or 3 times a year. The wheels and hardware are black. Do you think your Rustoleum hammered paints would be crazy looking on it? I could go by and take a picture of it if that would help. It comes unassembled, so spray painting wouldn't be too big a job if done before it's put together. No masking off and stuff like that. If you think that no one else would be interested in this, you might just reply with a DMail. TKS!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

DP, I think that hammered paint would work to spruce up and seal just about anything that isn't living! I love the copper and bronze colors. I'm "so so" on the silver and the gold, but I use them because I still have some of them. Sounds like it's made of wood. I painted a picture frame this morning for Jennifer's collage. I used the green and the copper. It was REALLY green. I painted the green first, then spritzed it with copper. The copper really toned it down some and the combination looks great!

I did find that the handle Sidney suggested works FANTASTIC! I got the one with the comfort grip. I could paint all day long! I do believe I've been called a painting fool. A handle I'm proud to wear, considering the money I've saved.

Kaylee and I are working on some cup cakes and a small cake for Jen's birthday. The mix had confetti looking stuff in it. We had to go to the store to pick up some frosting. She'll put some sprinkly stuff on her cup cakes and I'll put pecans and fruit on my small cake.

We all went to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch today. The cost was outrageous for a lunch. 2 adult and 2 kids was $48.00. YIKES! Her hubby doesn't like seafood and she begged me to take her. I caved! What can I say? Her birthday only comes around once a year.

Janet

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Brinda back yard is beautiful, but I'm confused cause I could have sworn you said your back yard looked like Kell's hubbie's driveway and that sure isn't the case. hahahahaha

Janet I spray painted a bench that someone gave my hubbie. Used what looks like a brown metallic on it. It was very easy and dries so quickly. Bench is not study enough for someone to sit on but I thought it would be a great plant stand and it looks better all one color.

Thumbnail by phughes

Brinda your backyard is gorgoeus as ever! You are such a good arranger..now when can you come make mine look professional :-)

Juanita ..your ads are great! I know you will get some takers.

Today was a blessed day. I got a box of 16 long stem roses as a belated birthday present from a childhood friend. The only thing that would have made them better was if they were from a man friend :-)

Patty, Oh Patty! I went to my post office box which I check once a month and saw a yellow notice for a box. This was last week. I didnt get a chance to go back since then and after telling Sidney about it she demanded that I go right away.

Well, If I had known it was coleus I would have headed it off at the pass! But guess what? After eight days they are still moist and ALIVE! Thank you so much! The wrapping worked great and I'm geting ready to grow them into trees!

I know it was supposed to be a surprise but as anyone in my family can tell you, I ALWAYS screw up a surprise ( unintentionally).

Thanks Patty girl!

Thumbnail by jadajoy

Okay
I need an explanation for this gynormous Roseo. I put some of it a pot I dragged out the shed and didnt bother to change the dirt or anything. I just stuck it in there, I thought temporarily till it went into the garden bed. But it has grown megacoleus! Here is a pic with a plant marker on the leaf to show size.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 5:36 PM

Thumbnail by jadajoy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.