Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I am about to take on a project at my Church in cleaning out POISON IVY out of a Perennial Garden and would like to know what I should use to kill the Poison Ivy, and save the Perennials?

If anyone can gave me any advise on how to go about this without getting Poison Ivy I would be very thankful for your help?

This Project is going to take the rest of the Summer to get done.

Any ideals from Jerry Bakers tonics? Any ideal from anyone? Yes even the Lord is willing to help out here.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I can't think of the name of it but there are products that you apply before exposure to poison ivy that are supposed to work quite well. Ask your pharmacist. I know they carried it at Kroger here a couple of years ago because we bought some for hubby but I haven't checked since then. It did work for him though. Sorry, don't know what you could use on the poison ivy that won't also kill the flowers.

(Zone 9a)

There is a product called Vine-X that has a tiny little brush on the top of the bottle. You "paint" the bottom 6" of the vine and that is it. It works slowly but it does work and as long as you are careful and only apply the product to the vine, nothing else is harmed. I do not rmember the ingredients but I believe it is some sort of strong soap like product that disolves the chambers that carry water and nutrients up to the plant. I have had great success using this with poison ivy.

Just Google Vine-X for more specific info.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I use Ortho Brush-B-Gone Poison Ivy Killer. It comes in a premixed spray bottle. If it is around my perennials, I try to cover them or use a large cardboard to protect them when spraying. If I can isolate the plant, I use plastic bags & wearing gloves & long sleeves, I carefully put the bag around the poison ivy plant & then loosen the soil around it & pull it out carefully so not to break off the roots. If the plant is fairly large, I use a shovel, if it is smaller, I use my dandelion digger to loosen the roots. Remember the whole plant is poison, leaves,stems & roots.
I use TecNu for poison ivy. You can apply it before working in the PI or use it afterwards. I've even used it on the blisters when they have popped up, just be careful & don't break them. I swear by it.
Jan in Central Illinois

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Bleach will neutralize the urishol which is the chemical that causes the rash. If you have to work around poison ivy, spray it with a half water half bleach solution and it will render it inert. Also wipe off any tools that have been in contact with poison ivy/oak with the bleach solution .. for clothes that cannot be bleached, use 1 cup of sudsy ammonia in your wash water (actually I use ammonia with every wash .. neutralizes odors and gets rid of body oil) it will also render the urishol inert.

You can even use bleach on your skin .. 1 tbs to 1 cup of water of the concentrated bleach, dab it on with a cotton ball or spritz it on.


Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I was getiing poison ivy every year and had to have shots. Now the doc gives me a cream from the rx but to keep from getting it or keep it out of my flowers I take a gallon plastic milk jug and cut the bottom out and the top lips off and put it arround the PI plant if it is small enough and just Round Up the heck out of it. BEV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.