Lets have a swap-Fall Round Up

Ripley, MS

Ray and Terrye would like to host the fall swap at their building. They have an open date of Oct 11th.
We can start anytime after 9am, but have to be ready to clear out of the building at 3pm. We can still visit, they just have the building booked for another group at 3pm and we need to be sure and have everything cleaned up and ready for that group.
By having the use of their building we will not have to worry about rain or wind or hot sun !!!
We can set the plants outside of our cars like we do at other places and swap outside, have a nice building to go into for our lunch and Terrye's beautiful flower beds to look at.
Judy and I have reserved our empty parsonage for anyone who wants to come in on Friday and spend the night. We are only 35 to 40 minutes from Terrye's. It will also be availabe for Sat night for anyone who wants to stay that night. It has 3 bedrooms with double beds and also some half beds in the enclosed carport room. There are 2 couches in the living room.
So start rooting those plants and making plans for a good week-end.
Sandra

Thumbnail by slcdms
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I am going to try to see what I can do to make it. My fall conference for work is in Fayetteville, AR, the northwest corner of the state, on Oct 9th and 10th, and they really, really wipe me out. Fayetteville is almost 7 hours from Booneville. hhhmmmmmm Booneville is 5 hours from my house. hhhmmmmmm I'll have to see what I can do, maybe spend the night in Little Rock the night of the 10th, which cuts my time down to 4 1/2 hours! I guess it all depends if Dave is working or not. I'll come up with something I'm sure!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I'll be there with bells on Sandra. I was just thinking about trying to root some things yesterday. You know I'm not too good at rooting but will give it my best shot.

Booneville, MS

Thanks for starting the thread, Sandra.
Everyone is invited. I am located about 25 miles northeast of tupelo for those of you who haven't been here before. I'll post more on that later.
We'll have plenty of time for the RU even after 3:00. My house is right there and we will just move over to it.
I've got to get some cuttings started, too. Time to clean out my sunroom...

terrye

Ripley, MS

Cindy, have you had any luck with the Wallflower I liked. My piece I brought home didn't make it.
I think I am going to try some ivy cuttings tomorrow. Everyboday that know something they might want, start making your requests.
Sandra

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

October heh? Contemplating....lol.
Kim

Ripley, MS

You can do it, Kim--lol-we will have so much fun
Sandra

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the invitation, Sandra, I'll talk it over with Jim and go from there. I've been looking forward to visit Terrye's and Ray's place for over a year now....

Ripley, MS

And if you get to come, bring me a small windflower, please.
Sandra

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

No luck with the wallflower. I actually lost one whole plant right after y'all left with no reason that I could find.

Olive Branch, MS

Wish I could make it, but I only set up at 2 bird sales a year now and I will be in Nashville that weekend. I will however have plenty of things potted up that I will get there somehow.

Ripley, MS

Kenny, you are to busy, you are just going to have to take a week end off and drive to everyones house and visit !!!
Sandra

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry Cindy, both you and Mary D. lost the ones that I brought last Sept. The problem with transplanting these plants is that the ideal time would be in early spring, I dug yours up in the heat of summer, they went dormant, and perhaps the firbrous leaves stalks got disturbed and uprooted. Next time we get together, I'll be sure you and Mary will get a good start of them. Carolyn got a start of these, and currently she's doing well with them. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

We will be there and I have a few things started already.

Ruth

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sounds like fun!! I will have to wait until closer to time before I know if I can come. However, I am going to start rooting some things so I'll have something to trade.

Marilyn

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim mine did make it until I pulled the mulch back in the spring. We had a cold night that I did not realize so I think that is why mine was lost. I don't think it was anything you did. I also think they would probably do better if maybe we potted them in the greenhouse until they get over the shock of transplant. Sandra is way more successful at transplants than anyone I know. If anyone could keep it going it would be her. I don't know if it is her talent or her little micro climate where she grows everything. I have rarely ever heard her lose a plant. She and Carolyn both have that mystical connection with plants. If something is said to be difficult to root just give it to them or Ruth. Me I can grow from seed but donot do so well at rooting. I am going to do some cuttings this week and try.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

already going to Florala RU on the 11th so I can't make it

Ripley, MS

Oh Donna we will miss you. Get us some good stuff there--lol

Oh Cindy, I lose plenty of stuff. I just don't tell you about that. I found something you had planted for me in the spring today and the tag said "Wallflower" do you have any idea what kind it might be?

Sandra

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sorry I don't but I am pretty sure it is not the one I have in the bed. I put you a low limb in the ground today but I am going and scratch it and add the rooting hormone to it.

Ripley, MS

I stuck some hot lips and some of the fern type verbena yesterday, also bumped up the Russian Red Kale. The Big Mountain Parsely I planted is not sprouting yet, maybe in a few days.
Sandra

Ripley, MS

Cindy, I have also beenmeaning to ask you how the red ice plant you got at Forest Hills did?
Any chance of a rooting from that baby?
Sandra

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I will try it is doing really good. When Y'all picked out my crepe myrtle was it a red rocket?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, how do you root the Hot Lips? I could do some of that myself. Do I break off a branch and stick in a pot or stick it down to the ground and let it take root? can I root Black and Blue Salvia or does it have to grow from seed?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll not be able to attend this RU. But I thank you Terrye, Cindy and Sandra for inviting me.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

I shall be there with bells on, The Lord willing . Me and Emily are coming in probably on the Friday.

Ripley, MS

Marilyn, I cut a few stems and stick them in rooting hormone and then put them all in the same pot. When (or if) they take root I will separate them into their own pots.
You could root black and blue the same way.

Kim, I am so sorry you can't make it, boy we are just going to have to come and kidnap you to get you up our way it looks like.

Debbie, so glad you and Em are going to get to come--we have your name on a bed !!!

Cindy, I wished I had my camera with me today. I went to take Pat back to the doc and stopped by Mamma's. the red zinnia I gave her from your seedlings had 8 powder puff size blooms on it and it is the brightest red. She has enjoyed that zinnia so much, they are so big they look like a dahlia from a distance. One little seedling has really brought her so much pleasure. Also the sunflower I took her had a couple of blooms.
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Too far away Iguess to tell if I'm going to be able to come, but if I get to Sandra, you want me to bring all those daylilies to you then? and those salvias and agastaches instead ofyou coming over here? or you want to come here too . I guess I need to see how far it is. I won't even talk to DH about it yet it's just too far away for any decision making. As for rooting stuff, goodness gracious, if I root anything else I don'tknow what i'll do. My whole side yard is FULL and so is my greenhouse. So I'll have plenty to bring.

If I can make it.

Ripley, MS

I think we are going to come and see you if the invite is still good, we are hoping for Sept.
I know it is scary to make long range plans with everything that goes on, but we can hope.
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

are you kidding? Course its still good any time ... Good, cause I don't think i'll fit all those daylilies and other things into the car LOL that will be less I have to bring there if I get to go. That's during the second week of deer hunting season and DH will be likely gone at the deer camp, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I still haven't dug those daylilies that I need to dig now. I've been swamped with alterations and that has kept me inthe house the last couple days. How long do daylilies last otu of the ground with no dirt on them, I have some dug from abou t 2 weeks ago, they look kind of sad but I hear they live along time out of the ground.

Ripley, MS

They will be fine, you can spray the water hose on them and they will will live like that for a long time. The big growers--dig in the fall and dry out to send in the spring sometimes.
I have some ditch lilies that bloomed in the back yard here that were just thrown down on the ground 2 years ago. I haven't dug a hole for them yet and they are thriving, just set the clump there because it was an unknown that someone gave Judy. They are still there and seem to like it fine.
Sandra

Booneville, MS

Kim, we will miss you, Sure wish you could come.
Debbie, I am so glad you and Emily are coming! We will have a great time. I want you guys to see my flowers but if this drought keeps on everything may be burnt up by then.

KA, I so hope you get to come even if we come see you first. I can't wait to see your flowers. You have stuff I have never even heard of!
Ditto what Sandra said about the daylilies. I have had them live for weeks out of the ground just keeping the roots watered. Depending on the variety too. Some are more particular.
sandra, I cannot get Hot Lips to root for me but I haven't tried with the Dip and Grow yet. Maybe that will work.

terrye

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

i've not tried to root my hotlips either, but have successfully rooted lots of other salvias and agastaches.

good on the daylilies, Sandra, I dug 9 diff dayliliy plants today and moved them somewhere else so I could put all my jap iris and lousiiana iris in that one flower garden, Talked Ds into pulling out a bunch of mint for me today, but I promised him a computer game in return for his hard labor LOL he does't get the game till he finishes pulling mint LOL

I didn't dig al l the ones I told you I was, the others are in the front bed I'll probably leave them till you get here LOL

i'll get these in the mail to you monday. 2 are spacecoasts, with SP for spacecoast so you'll know .

i'm pooped, don't even want to think abou t supper.

I'll try my best to make it to the round up.

Ripley, MS

I would imagine tonight would be a bologna sandwich, we are hot here today, went this morning and picked 16 quarts of blueberries.
Jerry helped or I would have never gotten that many. It is really hot outside now.
Kathy Ann-thanks
Sandra

Booneville, MS

KA, I bet your DS will feel like he has never worked so hard for a computer game by the time he gets through pulling mint! lol

It was hot here today too. I watered early this morning but it got too hot before I got through. Spent the rest of the day covering shelves in my sunroom and cleaning up. With my DGD and DGS help so I didn't get a whole lot done. lol But we had fun.

Sandra, that's a lot a berries to be picking in this heat but I bet Jerry will appreciate them in that good cake you make.
I cooked peas and okra for dinner today so it will be a sandwich for supper for us. Well for Ray anyway, I am back on full liquids for a couple of days.

Terrye

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

we did pizza tonight, Ds is a hard worker. but he didn't get far on the mint today LOL I don't have weeds to pull around here, I have mint, it kills out all the weeds LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Speaking of mint, KA, that African Yerba Buena Mint that Sheila gave me was growing like crazy and putting out all kinds of runners. I cut off all the runners this morning and cut the plant way back. Will that help contain it or should I move it to the back of the bed? Does it bloom at all? What's it good for if it doesn't bloom?
Lots of questions, I know.
If Terrye and Sandra come over to your house, do you think you can keep me away???!!! LOL I wouldn't miss that for anything so I am inviting myself! LOL I need to come see you anyway but it is too hot right now.
Peas and okra! Yummm, Terrye! as long as the okra was fried, that is. No boiled okra for me--I use to gag on that stuff when I was kid. Thank goodness, Mother didn't boil it very often. There was a rule in our house that we had to eat 3 bites of everything on our plate. I never made my kids eat anything that made them gag--especially liver or boiled okra!! Yuck! (Sorry--I got off the subject)
I am going to try rooting some of my Hot Lips and Black and Blue Salvia. Also, I started four cuttings of Sunsprite yesterday. I hope they take. I have a cutting which I started some time ago and it is doing very well but I forgot which rose it came from! It has to be from either Sunsprite, Don Juan or Velvet Toreador. Whoever gets it will have to tell me what color it is when it blooms and then I can tell them what it is! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Don't worry, I was going to invite you too, and a couple other local folks in case they wanted to see Sandra and Terrye too. Judy will be there too. (that's Sandra's friend.) I think terrye's hubby .

As for that african buena, sheila and I have discussed that plant, and it's not african buena. I have since found the "real " african buena plant and it's nothing like sheila's. she tried to find her source for that plant so we could talk to them about it, but she can't remember who gave it to her. Believe it or not, Mine died, (I cut it back to root the cuttings) before I found out it wasn't african buena) and the mother plant died off on me, I think the geese ate it down ) Want to borrow my geese? LOL. but you'll want to call it something else, and not trade it off as african buena. and watch it, it will take over, as mints do have a tendency to run rapid. it will put off a bloom and it will take over,

OH just so youknow, your always welcome here, no invite necessary, any time,

Speeking of geese, I was out in the garden a while ago, and heard a bunch of comotion, a goose was dangling from the new electric fence we put around the garden, was being zapped by the fence, and lifeless, I pushed her /him off and he went hobbling off, so it's ok, but gosh that scared me to death. now I don't plug in the fence during the day NO MORE> Poor baby, I felt so bad for it. glad I didn't kill it and glad I was out there so I could know what was going on. don't want to think of the results if I hadn't been there to push her /him off the fence wire.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, poor goose! glad you were out there to rescue it before it "fried"! We have a flock of geese that stay around this area year-round but they haven't volunteered to come by my place to eat the mint! LOL
I know I am welcome at your place anytime, KA, and you and any of our Mid-South friends are welcome at my place anytime, too. I'll just be glad when I have enough plants and/or seeds to trade with the rest of the gals and guys! I'm working on it--slowly but surely!

Ripley, MS

The crew we are working on coming will be all of the above, but we won't let Ray come-we will bring Cindy in his place-lol--we are hoping we can work it all out.
Sandra

Booneville, MS

marilyn, the okra was fried but I do love it boiled. hated it as a kid but have developed a taste for it over the last couple of years. We ate the left overs for dinner today.

I'd have to do some major begging to get Ray to go on a gardening trip. he loves it when you guys come here but looking at plants is not his thing. Cindy will be much better company. lol

terrye

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.