Coleus Chatters thru July 20th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Monday Morning to all you Coleus addicts & fanatics! I do hope today and the rest of the week find you in a wonderful place! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873688/

One of my favorites... anyone love Bob Seger?

It seems like yesterday
But it was long ago
Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights
There in the darkness with the radio playing low
And the secrets that we shared
The mountains that we moved
Caught like a wildfire out of control
'Til there was nothing left to burn and nothing left to prove
And I remember what she said to me
How she swore that it never would end
I remember how she held me oh so tight
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Against the wind
We were runnin' against the wind
We were young and strong, we were runnin'
Against the wind

The years rolled slowly past
And I found myself alone
Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends
I found myself further and further from my home
And I guess I lost my way
There were oh so many roads
I was living to run and running to live
Never worryied about paying or even how much I owed
Moving eight miles a minute for months at a time
Breaking all of the rules that would bend
I began to find myself searching
Searching for shelter again and again

Against the wind
A little something against the wind
I found myself seeking shelter against the wind

Well those drifter's days are past me now
I've got so much more to think about
Deadlines and commitments
What to leave in, what to leave out

Against the wind
I'm still runnin' against the wind
I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind
Well I'm older now and still runnin'
Against the wind
Against the wind
Against the wind

Still runnin'
I'm still runnin'
Still runnin'
Runnin' against the wind
Runnin' against the wind
See the young man run
Watch the young man run
Watch the young man runnin'
He'll be runnin' against the wind
Let the cowboys ride
Let the cowboys ride
They'll be ridin' against the wind
Against the wind ...

Center Coleus: Cracklin' Rosie

Thumbnail by Brinda
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i got my keets saturday!

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Kathy, how cute is that? Please tell me... what are keets? Are they guineas?

DP, I was in such a hurry this morning that I didn't say anything about your fabulous and I mean FABULOUS display of caladiums. I could look at that all day long! Question? I have White Wing and Florida Sweetheart, but the FS is much shorter than the WW. How did you do that? Did you just plant a mix? It's just outstanding!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes brinda, they are guinneas. are't they the sweetest?

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

You are killing me Kathy. I want chickens and fowl so badly, but DH won't let me have them here. My grandparents had a chicken farm. I have vague memories of all the fun little chicks. They got out of the business when I was pretty young, but I think it's in my blood.

Oh and yes... those caladiums are to die for.

Have a fab day everyone,
Juanita

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

juanita, my chickens have started to lay. the eggs are so cute! turkeys are stll misbehaving

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Jordan..I'm jealous! I want some and dont even know what they are, or what they do. Ok, throw one of those in my box too :-)

Brinda..why doesnt my cracklin rosie look like that?

Dp.. again..great caladiums! you did a wonderful job on those.

Its been storming since last night and I think my phones are acting up. a neighbor said the telephone people have been working all morning.So long as I have internet I dont care The rain barrels are full!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Things that make you go, hmmmm

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK, I think every time Dale posts one of those ^^^ photos, he ought to have to send every one of us a cutting of them. Anyone else agree with that?

Once again, I'm drooling at your collection Dale!

Janet

Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i agree janet

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow, things that make you go YUM!

I agree Janet!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hmmm, not likely on the cuttings, I am the world's laziest coleus grower, it is too hot down here to safely mail things and it is getting late in the season. I have more reason, but, I am too lazy to write them down.

LOL, I think the heat got to you!

Alright ladies (and gents), new health tip for the day LOL!

Here are a few basic guidelines as to how to evaluate other health products, and we suggest for you to apply these guidelines to any such products that you are taking on a REGULAR basis:

1) Do not take a product that is in TABLET form because the tablets are held together with "binder" minerals that your body cannot absorb. These unabsorbed minerals accumulate in your bloodstream and tissues, and can contribute to blocked arteries, impaired digestion, arthritis, kidney stones, etc.

2) Do not take a product that is in capsule form IF the capsule is topped off with "FILLER" materials such as the commonly used magnesium stearate. Magnesium stearate is another one of those non-digestible minerals that can cause problems such as those mentioned above. The filler is there to make the capsule look full, not to make you healthier!

(Zone 9b)

Is anyone else having post menopausal brain slack? I swear I am on the verge of being put in the padded room. When I say it is so hard to me, I am not kidding.

I got up this morning, tired and in pain, so after fooling around on the computer for an hour I go back to bed to elevate my leg, feeling so sorry for myself. Then I decide to get up and get my act, as sad as it is lately, together. I am going to straighten up since I have done nothing for over a week, except be a royal pain to my ever loving husband. I even redo a wash that as been wet in the washer all week. I even put in a second load.

I decide to do the few dirty glasses and dishes. I put them all in the sink and add soap then decided to water a few houseplants in the second sink first. I get them all watered and draining in the 1 sink and I start the water in the other sink to do the dishes. As the sink fills I decide to run out front to get some of that spray fertilizer so I can spray all my backyard (as I have sworn to do for 2 weeks) before I go to the store to buy dinner for I am going to be Susie Homemaker for a huge change and actually cook Tom a decent dinner. I am thinking roasted chicken with sausage stuffing and mash potatoes. He will be so surprised. So with sugar plums dancing in my head I dash out front and as I gather up the sprayer and fertilizer, I look around at how gorgeous everything is and decide I should fertilizer the front first to really make a stellar display. I hook it up and go all around foliar and pot feeding. I even go out front and do the roses and all my potted brugs, and my mess in my driveway. All those 4 inch pots I bought weeks ago that are dying from not be planted up, I breath new life into by giving them some food. I finish 3 bottles of fertilizer and am all proud of myself. I have 1 bottle left for the back so I think I should stop and get some more on my way to the grocery store.

I come back inside with the sprayer and my 1 bottle that is left; inside my cat is all upset. I hear the water going, run into the kitchen to turn it off and floor is flooded. And shoot I tell you, the water is overflowing from one sink to the other but not spilling out over the floor. It is leeking from below the sink!! Somehow I broke it down under. So I quick move the plants out of the one sink so I can start to bail the overflowing sink. I am standing on towels in the middle of the flood. 1 flower pot flips and all the dirt lands right down the garbage disposal. I turn it on and of course the disposal breaks. It must not like dirt. How many times has Tom told me not water plants in the sink?

All I can say is Tom is going to be so thrilled with his Susie Homemaker when he gets home. See it IS so hard to be me. I may go back to bed.

Sue, find a pill for me. Dale, you need to send me some coleus because I am so pathetic.

I can see him standing in the kitchen doorway saying:

"LUCY! You got sum 'splaining to do!"

Oh man Kell, the whole I was reading your being so good getting the fertilizing done, I am thinking, 'what about the running water in the sink? Kell, go back inside, Kell, the water, go, NOW!".

I am afraid to go shopping with you now, there seems to be a high probability of something crazy/scary/painful happening! ^_^

Stockholm, Sweden

kell,
you're such a wonderful storyteller! You really are! I was living this with you when I read it, I caught myself being on the brink of running into the house and stop the water for you. See how well you tell? For some seconds, I thought I was there with you !!! I could HEAR the water running full power inside the house, and you couldn't....? LOL

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Gosh Kell.. I'm so sorry.. like you really needed more stress. Hey wait.. when you mop it all up, you could say you spent the whole day cleaning the kitchen floor! Well, I tried..

I'm having a bad day too.. seems I can't do anything right today.. or this weekend for that matter.. (I rented the rec hall to 2 different families for a party on the same day) One is really upset with me.

I could go on.. but you got the picture.. it's one of "those" Mondays.

Pearl River, LA

Brinda I wandered when or if you would get around to Bob Seger. I kid you not a cassette of his songs including that one is in our car and is played everytime we take a ride. Sandy wants to know "do you not get tired of that" and the PP says noooooo. We love Like a Rock... and.... In your Time. The Like A Rock song could have been written with him in mind...... Dale is such a tease. lol I love this Galadium. I took the blooms off today. I needed to do that right....shirleyt Kell like I said....knock it off and take care of yourself or you will never get well. Pain distracts you. I have to be really careful of what I do... one thing at a time... you know one track mind and all... That is what I hate most about growing old.. When I work its do this and then do that. Mu lti tasking is a thing of the past.... take care...shirleyt
i

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 4:40 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

my dogs love his song-still the same

(Zone 9b)

LOL Shirley, forget multitasking...I would be happy with just tasking. Your garden is a beautiful sight!!

Well, the brainless idiot followed me out back. I so carefully watered EVERYTHING and hit all the foliage too, merrily fertilizing everything in my path as I went along. Took me a while too. I get all done and go to turn the water off and look down and THE FERTILIZER BOTTLE attached to the hose IS FULL! I had it turned to water not to fertilize. I am so cheerful too, you would think I would be a grouch but a second after disaster strikes, I am back to humming along, singing a song and shuffling my day away. I wonder if those are symptoms of a known mental illness.

Oh Joyce, you must feel terrible. What did the other family do? Could you find another place for them? I swear I could no longer hold a job. I could be the poster old lady for taking hormone therapy. Are you going to get into trouble?

Gee whiz Sue, thanks. Being my good friend, you think you would offer to take me out and about to make sure I do not get lost. Though I bet Tom would pay you to take me out and lose me.

Thank you Jada, Shirley, Sue, Alice and Joyce for all for commiserating with me. Now that I am soaking wet and a mud hen, time to go out and buy dinner. I am too tired now to cook though. Tom will never know what he missed. And this is odd too. I have run the kitchen sink water and it has not leaked out the bottom onto the floor again so I cannot figure out where all that water came from. It must have come from the top of the sink but I swear I did not see any spill over. So now I guess I have to confess to Tom that I left the water running yet again when I explain what is wrong with the cabinet under the sink and the floor and get one of those dreaded "Shoot, she is all mine looks."

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

NOOOOOOOOO Kell... LOL Well, by now you gotta laugh.. When I have days like that.. I get to a point it's just too crazy to be upsetting.. it's just funny..

I couldn't get in enough trouble to feel any worse than I already do.. They had to have the party the next day... I felt like such a heel... I wanna crawl in bed till tomorrow and start over.... This day just wasn't what it should have been! Now I cant get motivated to do anything for fear I'll screw that up too.. LOL

Menopause is brutal..

But it could be worse.. so I am counting my blessings

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

rvnsbrk- forget chickens and turkeys and other fowl and get a big flock of guineas! Your neighbors will love you. And you won't have a grasshopper problem.
Brinda and you and others have been so nice about my often-posted caladium display. Brinda, are you ever right about White Wing being taller than FL Sweetheart! Not only that, it takes forever for FL to sprout and develop. I was beginning to think the bulbs (tubers?) had gone bad. It's just their nature, though. If they were all together in a flat bed, I doubt the combination would be good, but since they are laddered, the red are more visible, although the white stand out from them.
I was thinking about putting in more red next year, but someone on the bulb forum (I think) says she just stacks the pots in the garage and puts them out again in the spring. I have the room- only 9 pots, 8 inch I think, and if that works, I save $ and work, and if it doesn't, I dump them then instead of in October. I tried digging up and saving the bulbs one year, but I didn't enjoy it and was willing to just pay for new ones. The story is that they aren't as vigorous the second year and so on. I don't have any way of knowing if that's true or not. One man near me grew white ones in huge beds and dug and saved the bulbs for years and years.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Dp, have you tried leaving the bulbs in the ground? I leave ours inground during the winter ,We mulch heavily, But they do fine, Maybe a week or 2 late growing, but We haven't lost any so far.
Being that close to the brick foundation, I would think yours would do great. (just my 2 cents)lol

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

odd- There is a bed of Tabasco or Mississippi [something] over by Camille's. All the plants are the same thing because they're the same height, the leaves are the same size and shape, color of stem, thickness of stem, and so on. But only about 1/3 of them have developed the red coloration. The rest are solid burgandy. They are in identical conditions, all in full sun. We all know that light affects how coleus color up, but it's odd that some of these turned solid burgandy because of so much blistering sun (?) and others didn't.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, georgiag. These are in pots, sitting on supports to ladder them. A few people here have tried leaving bulbs in the ground. Maybe one year out of 10 we have a mild enough winter. Mulching would probably help, but it can get down in single digits here, although it's not common. Sometimes out of a bed of 100, 2 or 3 will come back the next spring.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My new Caladiums and my old Caladiums all seem to be about the same rate. The new ones are more dense in spots as my planter of the 50 matched bulbs was a tad impatient and only 10 years old.
So far mine come back every year. I have some in the back yard that are on their 5th sprouting.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Pheadra not everyone can garden in Paradise.
;)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

hmmm....caladiums

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Is anyone else having post menopausal brain slack?

Most definately . . The other day I was working in one of my husband's customers flower beds and thought to myself that I wished I had brought my cap with me; kept thinking how my face is probably getting sunburned and almost called husband to bring it to me. Then it dawned on me that I was wearing it. . . . brain fart . . . these things happen all the time. DH has asked me if I am getting dementia and I tell him i'm premenopausal and this is characteristic and only going to get worse.

He says he's going to convert the shop and move into it until this passes.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

sugarweed, i looked up the weather records for jacksonville- is it correct that some winters it doesn't get below 40 degrees there? and you get 50 or 60 inches of rain? no wonder you call it a gardener's heaven. we've had about 16 inches of rain THIS YEAR- the high temps can be 112, the lows below zero. leaving caladium bulbs in the ground here is an invitation for them to freeze.

(Zone 9b)

Gosh, all these caladiums pics make me so wish I could grow them. So pretty! How long do they last giving a good display?

Patty, your husband is such an optimist. Tom has been waiting years for it to pass but it just gets worse. When I get a particularly are you for real look from him, I always say back that I am the best I am ever going to be this minute so get used to it! LOL What worries me is what I do and never catch on. I wonder if I leave people in my wake shaking their heads. LOL

Joyce, you are so right, it could be so much worse. I could not be married to my Tom! I hope things are going much better for you this week.

Well, one look at the kitchen and Tom said, you let the water run over again? I said yes and he moved on with what is for dinner. LOL. I am married to a prince. I will tell him about the garbage disposal later on.

I wish I could have those fancy chickens with such cool head and tail feathers. You are so lucky Kathy to have a yard that can have them. It could be fun to have them running around eating all my snails and slugs!

I can't believe Sidney gets 60 inches of rain. We have had 13.8 inches so far this year. DP, sounds like you have the worst of all worlds. Very hot and very cold! And very dry!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW, yall sure know how to carry on conversations..... no one lacking for conversation here...LOL

Dale what an incredible collection, what are ya a grower??? Of course I don't know history here yet.

Janet glad your trip was so enjoyable for you and your family.

I'm so loving everyone plants....

Now since I'm up in the north pole will these plants be ok or are they more of an annual for me???

Janet

be back in awhile got to feed the collies..

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, Janet, Glasshouse Works is in Stewart, OHIO, and they have a catalog listing a large number of coleus- but all is indoors much of the year. I don't know how they afford to heat their place. There has been a lot of discussion lately about wintering over plants. It depends on your situation. For ME, they have to be annuals. And it's costly, and you never know if you're going to be able to get what you want the next year.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

got side track with ordering come clematis'.

Well when I do finally get to go to Bakers Acres I'm be checking with Chris to see. This might limit me on how many I purchase.... 8 ~ (

Janet

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd guess you have two months left to enjoy your coleus. You might want to wait until next year and start much earlier.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

kell, i can't wait till their big enough to eat the ticks and kill the snakes

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

PHughes,

Had to laugh at your pre menopausal story. It's happening here several times a day. Don't know how often I've been looking for things, only to find them stashed on my person somewhere. Maybe your husband and mine can move in together for a while. He' not too happy that this is going to get worse before it gets better if it ever does. :0) Time will tell. As I always say getting older isn't for sissies.

Juanita

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.