Coleus Chatters thru July 20th...

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

When Fast Frank and I lived in the Sandia Mts back in the 70s we had a friend who was a vegetarian and he also ate loads of raw garlic.
When he drove his old truck you could hear him coming and when he wasn't you could smell him about 75 feet away.
Juanita please feel better. You do so much I am always in awe at how industrious you are. (((Hugs)))
Sidney

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

This has made it a better day. A Luna hibiscus. Very shrubby. Wal Mart of all places. Go figure.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Just lovely Juanita!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Someone, besides myself, has had their 'Swiss Sunshine' develop a sport. We discussed whether it was stable, here is mine, after 2 yrs. Top of photo green/burgundy>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My Swiss Sunshine is as washed out as if I'd watered it with bleach.
I got one from each place except Chele.
Ms Patti sent me some Beckwiths that is just glowing.
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Heck, my Beckwith's will never glow!!!!!! :( And it just makes me crazy. Everytime I get one, it has such beautiful color and then it starts turning green & black. Icky for sure. Maybe it's my water?

Juanita... chin up Sweet Lady! Beautiful hibiscus!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

dale_a_gardener. This is Sharon in Las Vegas. I have just spent about twenty minutes just enjoying your 'Swiss Sunshine' and her friends. What a wonderful display. Thank you for sharing. I have seen many of your delightful displays and just wanted to say thank you.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for all the info from some very knowledgeable and wonderfully kind folks to share with me. It is really appreciated.

That does sound like an idea on taking cuttings sending them on to then receive some back the next year. I'll keep that in mind for next year and will most certainly get some when we go down for their late evening dinner and plant buying trip to Bakers Acres.

thanks again yall.

Janet

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Just a real quick question. How do you overwinter your coleus. I didn't know you could. Do I just take cuttings from each one and bring them in?

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

kinda. it's not quite that simple, but you're on the right track.

I have looked in several places for the info, but I'm sure I'll find out at some point. Thanks dp. And for us, that's a long time from now before I have to worry about it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus root best in good quality potting soil, when the temps are warm, in a pot, in the shade, mist the leaves 1-10 times a day. Takes about 3-4 weeks to develop a good root system. After planting out all coleus can take (and need) some sun. Protecting them from mid day sun is best, unless you know they are sun coleus. Hot dry climates, like the Nevada desert, they need lots of extra care.

Some Coleus will overwinter with no problems, some don't. I have had mixed results. If you take cuttings late in the year, when the weather starts to cool, crowd 5-6 in a 4 inch pot, keep them outside as much as you can, not too much sun, bring them in on cold nights, that will give you starter plants for spring. Keeping cuttings in the house is a problem because the temps are warm and the light levels are low, even in a sunny window. They will get leggy and are prone to pests and disease when kept inside for weeks.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

dale a gardener

Thanks for the info.

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

New week... new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/879883/

Dale thankyou so much for the info.

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.