double decker coneflower

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Purchased one last year.
I have one bloom that is double decker and the rest are single.
Do I dead head the single ones? All of them, since I read they don't come back true from seed?
Is it necessary to keep all coneflowers apart so they don't cross pollunate?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They are spotty on being double for the first few years. I wouldn't cut them off - it really won't help them to double up.

Thank you, I just didn't know if they were like varigated plants, that if you get a solid leaf or branch it should be removed so it doesn't revert back.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No, I see they sell the seeds of this one now.

I will have to look for them next year or do you know if they should be planted in the fall?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have two double deckers in their second year in my garden. It seems that the "double" part takes forever to develop. I have only a few starting now and they started blooming over a month ago! Leave them on - you might be surprised to find petals from the top. I was getting pretty glum until a week ago when I saw how strongly some of them are starting to double. It is super cool!

Elizabeth

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I bought double deckers last year also. I had only a few blossoms last year cause the buds were eaten and they were all single blooms. This year they started out with just the bottom petals and a few days ago the top petals started blooming. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a new one I bought in a gallon pot. I don't know if it's a year old or not, but it's not "double decking" yet. I can't wait.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I bought one of these. I wasn't impressed with them. Most of the time it just has a few little petals sticking out at the top. They just look like sick coneflowers to me. They aren't good about matching the photos used to sell them.

echinaceamanic, I think I agree with you. Alot of money and not much show. I did buy the orange and I sure like it so far. Bright and pretty....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.