Coleus Chatters thru July 27th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Monday Morning Everyone! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/876820/#new

I hope that today finds all of you in a wonderful place and that you're enjoying your gardens to the fullest. After working hard all weekend I need a pick-me-up to get me going... let's have a little JLL this mornin'!!!

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much love drives a man insane
You broke my will, But what a thrill
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire
I laughed at love 'cause I thought it was funny
You came along and moved me honey
I've changed my mind, this Girl is fine
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire
Kiss me baby, ooooh feels good
Hold me baby, I'm gonna love you like a lover should
Your fine, so kind
Got to tell this world that you're mine mine mine mine
I chew my nails and I twiddle my thumbs
I'm real nervous, but it sure is fun
C'mon baby, you're driving me crazy
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!

Coleus Roaring Fire

Thumbnail by Brinda
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Drapeldy,

I overwinter hundreds and in the past, thousands of coleus every winter. It isn't all that hard given the right conditions. I have 4 3 tiered light carts and a heated garage. I do what Dale does and take a bunch of cuttings and stuff them in a 4 inch pot. Get them going and keep them at about 50 to 60 degrees under the lights. I bottom water with peroxide solution and spray them with "The Recipe" (on another thread here somewhere). Watch for pests and pinch. About every 8 weeks I take more cuttings and keep going. If the mother plant is good I keep it, if not I take the cuttings and ditch the Mother. I have some varieties that I have kept for 2 winters now and will bring in again this year. Dale is right, some do better than others. It sure makes for a brighter winter!

My Rose Mallow is kicking butt right now too. Have 5 varieties budded and waiting to bloom, but Kopper King is the first.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Morning all - love that song Brinda! Hope everyone has a great week. Happy Monday!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning Ems and welcome! How is everyone? I was slow moving this morning and didn't want to get out of bed. Sure needed that pick me up song Brinda.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Morning all. What a beautiful day. Juanita, thankyou so much for the winter info.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Brilnda Great balls of fire. LOL
Melted chocolate kisses. LOL
Hope the Coleus cuttings did OK
Juanita I do the same also. Keep a close eye for mealy bugs and white flies.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning, I hope that today finds every one with a nice COOL breeze, Lord knows we need one, Heat index has been around 105 for 3 days , Help Georgia's melting..lol

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Good morning!

Things don't seem to working right on Dave's this morning. I'm trying to post one of these to the marketplace. I was cleaning out yesterday and found 3 of these. One is brand new. Was playing and made this up with a Finger Paint cutting. I had forgotten how cool this is.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Every winter when I am up to my eyeballs in fungus gnats and they are floating in my coffee, I ask myself, "why am I doing this?" Then I see mornings like this and remember. My love affair with coleus may suffer from lack of faith sometimes, but this renews it for sure.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

another...

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Checking in here to send good wishes to all in the path of Dolly! Please take great care and be safe!

Love to all...

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Juanita those do look lovely. Grouped togather close. Wish I had done mine that way.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Ted,

Good to hear from you. The pics are a couple of shots along my front walkway. When I planted everything was puny and straggly from being in all winter and then BINGO! They found their stride and really filled in. The one end that is completely in shade is a little less dense.

Hope you are doing well dear,
Juanita

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hell o, the weather is hot today.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Las Vegas Sharon here. All the photos are beautiful. I want to fly to Tampa and visit Dale_a_gardner's garden after dark. If you see a flashlight in the middle of the night Dale, don't shoot. Juanita, yours are so beautiful and look so healthy. I went in the courtyard yesterday morning and had baby snails all over mine. I try to organic garden so got some "D" earth and spread it this afternoon. Wish me luck. The snails come in with the plants from California. I seem to be the only one in the neighborhood with them but I am also the only one that uses mulch.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a pic for ya..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

another

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Last one

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

zz please tell me the name of your beautiful red coleus that is circled

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

That was purchased as Miacanopy
Sugarweed says it's the same as Watermelon, and I agree... I will put them side by side and take a pic....

It is so very pretty. I will see if I can order some or at least put it on my list for next year. Thankyou so much for the info.

Debbie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

SK,

My coleus photos are at a nursery and someone has already visited the place after dark. They took about $200 worth, but, you would be welcomed there, as long as you only bring a pair of snips and a small bucket. If you bring a truck and trailer I will turn over the security camera footage to the local sheriff. lol

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Debbie,

I have some Watermelon. I think there may be some out in the Marketplace collections that I have now. Are you sure there wasn't one in that other lot?

Bad storm last night and more on the way. The power has been out since 1:30 AM and not supposed to be back until 3PM today. Since we have a well, I don't really have water, it's off to work as is. Fortunately today is weeding day everywhere and with more rain on the radar, I'll be working wet anyway.

Hang in there folks. Talk to you later,
Juanita

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Good morning all. Happy Hump Day!!

Joyce - hey!! :) How's things going?

Hi Ted - good to see you again.

Juanita - love your finger paint cutting

Hope everyone has a great day!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to ALL!

I'm very concerned about our Patty as she looks to be right in the path of Dolly. Janet, what about you? Are you in the path also? Praying here that everyone is safe!!!

It's been on heck of a week so far. My wonderful step son can't seem to keep himself out of trouble and this week is just one more time that it's going on. Good grief... when do they grow up??? LOL

Chase is in Michigan this week so I have Xman most of the week. Actually it feels like he has just moved in for the last couple of weeks. LOL Too bad he isn't old enough for some good manual labor cuz I still have plenty to do before our party this Saturday. But luckily Braden is home and he is always great help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful & FAB day today!

Love to all...

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your concern Brinda. We are okay; storm is south of us. We are getting waves of much needed rain. So far no wind gusts.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Glad to hear that Patty.

Thanks for reporting in Patty. I was thinking of ya'll and praying.

Juanita, I'll go check mktplace again. And no their was no Watermelon in among the ones I got. By the way, what does this one say?

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Inky Fingers! What do I win?? :)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep that's Icky Fingers.
Joyce I love your pictures.
Your place looks so cleaned up and organized.
Hearing some promising thunder. Need some nice rain to perk everything up.
Sidney

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Thank you Sidney.. that's the beauty of cropping pics.. LOL That is the only area that was planted.. or looks good enough to photo.

I will have plenty of cuttings on the marketplace and to share if I ever get my life back in order..

I hope all is good for everyone.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I want to see a photo of icky toes.

Oh Sugar---------

Lavina

thankya'll so much for the id.

Debbie

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Greetings Folks!

We're getting heavy rain even as I type. We're way up the coast (Southeast) from where Dolly came in though. I live about 20 minutes from the coast line. From what I've heard, the rain bands are about 300 miles wide.

Connie and I are going to the Plant Swap and social in Houston this weekend. We'll leave here on Friday. Shop there in Pasadena and Houston. Stay the night and then be at RJ's on Saturday morning.

Much to do before we go.

Love, Janet

I don't know if it has anything to do with Dolly, but about 30 minutes ago we had tremendous winds and hard rain. The winds were from East to West. Weird.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Sorry for the confusion Debbie. My handwriting is getting worse. Especially with a Sharpie on the side of a plastic cup. :0)

Glad the mystery is solved.

Juanita

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Wind gusts have picked up in intensity and we are still having waves of rain. There are tornado warnings around the area, but I don't know of any having touched down. I've been out on the patio piddling. Ran to the $ store with hubbie and bought some more cheap urns and spray painted them. I can tell hubbie is getting a little stir crazy; the Astros are playing now so he's watching baseball.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Stay safe Patty & Janet!

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Stay dry! Hope You all can keep safe.

My Dad lives in McAllen and so he's going to get pretty wet. I hope South Padre doesn't suffer much damage either....my old stomping grounds...I love that beach!

Juanita it's not your handwriting its my iggerance LOL and my eyes. Thankyou so much

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.