Cucumber Juice

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I had some cucks, too big to pickle so I juiced them and put in the rifg.
Had extra space when I was canning some tomatoes and added a couple qts of cucumber juice and this is what I got ???
Has any one done this ?
It is less red that the pic , wounder what it will taste like ?

Thumbnail by rentman
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What's the red one? doesn't look like tomato juice is why I asked.

I've not heard of using cucumber juice, kind of neat, I'm a soap maker and that would work great in soap making LOL

the cucumber juice would , not the tomatoe juice.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

One other question, what does the canning book say about canning cucumber juice? cause I know why cucumbers need a hot water bath and not pressure cooked, because of the vinegar in there. but there's no vinegar in the cucumber juice is there? wonder if it would last just being put through the hot water bath. Wonder if it has enough acid to where you could do that and make it last .

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

Cucumbers have a pH of roughly 5.12-5.78. That's way below the safe level of acidity for a boiling water bath. It would be like canning green bean juice.

Carol

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Rentman, you really need to go to the KY Roundup next month and meet all these crazy people! It will be my first time and I may need some support!

Doug

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Doug , tell us more about the 'KY Roundup'
The green jar is cucumber juice, not processed , the red looking (it's not that red) is cucumber juice processed for 20 min in a pressure canner.
I will process some today in a hot water bath.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2008 2:03 AM

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Rentman here is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881730/

Doug

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

I have to say, though you may not like hearing this, that boiling water bath for cucumber juice is unsafe.

Unless there's additional acid (i.e. pickles with vinegar) cucumbers present a risk for botulism. You have a low-acid product, and a boiling water bath does not reach sufficient temperatures to kill botulism spores. It is an ideal environment for unhealthy organisms - low acid, no oxygen (sealed jars), available moisture and warm temperatures.

Carol

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

You know , the more you learn the more question...Pasteurization came to mind.
I found this from BC (British Columbia) Health Files

If you prepare juices at home, the following steps will help make the juice safe:

1. Make sure you get your unpasteurized juice from an operation which follows the "Code of Practice for the Production and Distribution of Unpasteurized Apple and Other Fruit Juices/Cider in Canada", which is published by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
2. Ascorbic acid may be added to prevent the juice from darkening. Ascorbic acid and instructions for use are available from wine- making shops.
3. Remove pulp, if desired, by adding a pectic enzyme. After settling overnight, siphon the clear juice into another container for heating. Pectic enzymes are also available at wine-making shops.
4. Pasteurize the juice using a double-boiler. Heat the juice to about 80 C (176 F), stirring frequently. Keep it at 80 C for at least 2 minutes. This will make sure that all E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria, as well as other organisms (moulds, etc.) are destroyed.
5. Pour the juice into clean, preheated bottles. Seal with new caps. The bottles must be preheated to prevent them from breaking due to heat shock.
6. This juice should keep a fairly long time if poured into bottles while it is still hot. The heat will destroy airborne yeast and mould. If the juice is bottled after it has cooled down, it will have a limited shelf-life, even if it is refrigerated.

I think I will also dump the juice into the compost along with the tomatoes skins ^_^

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

Sometimes the science of canning is a devil. There's always an exception or another slant to things.

The BC site instructions are fine for fruit juices because they're high-acid and botulism spores don't like acid. But vegetable juices are low-acid and present an entirely different subset of problems. There are some recipes for Tomato and Vegetable juice combinations (think V-8 clones) that are safe for a boiling water bath.

If you have a copy of the current Ball Blue Book, there's a Tomato Garden Juice Blend with tomatoes, carrots, celery, green pepper, onion and parsley on page 23.

I also have a recipe for a Vegetable Juice Cocktail that's pressure canned. It was posted on GardenWeb's Harvest forum several years back.

Carol

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks all for the info.
I also found this in a recipe for Cocktail Juice:
Process in a pressure canner for 35 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

I started this thread because I wanted to use the cucumber juice from very large cucumber, too big to pickle, but cuke juice is not used in any juice blend I have found.

Maple, ON

Rentman Hi

Cucumber juice tends to be a diretic and is used in many fruit/veg juices for people who want to lose weight.The martha's Vineyard Detox diet incorpurrated cucumber juice into every combo they make , personally I like cucumber juice mixed with commercial tomato /celery juice However these juice combo tend to juice the cucumber fresh ,I wonder if all else fails maybe you could water houseplants with it would add nutrients, just a thought

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Good idea Canada, I gave some of the pulp to my rabbits, also give them sliced cucumber. I only have 6 cuke plants and they are really producing.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I always manage to miss some cukes when I pick and they get real large. I used to go ahead and let them go all the way to yellow and used them to make yellow cucumber relish which my kids loved on their hot dogs.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Nature, that 's a wonderful idea, would you care to share the recipe?

I'd love to try that when my fall cukes are ready cause I always have extra I forget and leave onthe vine too. Waste not want not LOL

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Ripe Cucumber Relish

8 large ripe cucumbers
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup salt
2 tblsp. flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tblsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. tumeric
1 pint vinegar

Pare, remove seeds and cut cucumbers in 1-inch squares. Add onion, sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight. Drain and rinse well.

To make sauce, combine flour, sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, dry mustard, tumeric and vinegar. Heat to boiling; stir frequently to make a smooth sauce.

Add vegetables to the sauce. Cook on low heat for 1 hour, or until vegetables are transparent.

Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

From Farm Journal canning book, copyright 1963.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lover, I will start on the Relish today.
May post a pic tomorrow.
Must pick tomatoes today, haven't picked for two days.
I have 60 tomatoes plants, a real jungle. ^_^

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

cool. thanks so much

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I feel for you rentman. I planted 67 tomato plants when I lived in AR. I started with three dozen bare-root plants that didn't look like they were going to make it so I bought more. LOL--the joke was on me--they ALL lived. I put up every kind of recipe you could think of for canned tomatoes that year! That was the year I discovered a tomato relish recipe that was actually very good. But, I've never made the mistake of planting that many tomatoes again. Glad to help with the relish recipe--hope y'all enjoy.

Lancaster, WI

I know this thread is over 11 years old but I am hoping someone will still see my question. Last week I juiced my too big to pickle cucumbers and poured the juice in hot sterile jars abut halfway full when I made my dill pickles. I then filled the jar with my remaining pickle brine and then pressure canned the juice/pickle brine connoction when I canned my pickles. I had about 1/2 a quart of this connoction left over that I put in the fridge and mixed with my veggie juice the next day and it was fantastic! My question is, by using the pickle brine, is this a safe way to can cucumber juice?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The short answer is that unless it follows the guidelines or is a recipe tested by the Nat'l. Center for Food Preservation no one can offer assurances of safety. That said, 90 minutes under pressure is the maximum time to pressure can any low acid meat or vegetable. I can't imagine any health benefits there. I'd think freezing would be best to preserve flavor.

Even big, fat yellow cukes make great fresh refrigerator pickle chips that keep for months. Slice, salt eight hours or over night, rinse and make a brine, vinegar, water solution (most of the big seeds will fall to the bottom of the colander when you rinse). Add fresh dill sprigs, whole peppercorns, onions and slivered garlic. The dill, onions and garlic remaining after picles are eaten are great in slaws, salad dressing or salads. Another option for over the hill cukes is relish.

Chennai, India

Cucumbers are a good sources of fiber, particularly in the skin. They also provide potassium and magnesium. The AHA also recommend reducing sodium and increasing potassium intake to help prevent high blood pressure. The cucurbitacins in cucumber may also help prevent atheroslcerosis .

Cucumbers Are Best For Juicing?

organic regular cucumbers.
conventional regular cucumbers.
organic hot house cucumbers.
conventional hot house cucumbers.

Healthy vegetables like parwal are good for digestion. The vegetable is loaded with good amount of fiber thereby improves digestion. it provides you relief from gastrointestinal and a few problems associated with the liver.

Thumbnail by Ansio
Chennai, India

Cucumbers are a good sources of fiber, particularly in the skin. They also provide potassium and magnesium. The AHA also recommend reducing sodium and increasing potassium intake to help prevent high blood pressure. The cucurbitacins in cucumber may also help prevent atheroslcerosis .

Cucumbers Are Best For Juicing?

organic regular cucumbers.
conventional regular cucumbers.
organic hot house cucumbers.
conventional hot house cucumbers.

Healthy vegetables like parwal are good for digestion. The vegetable is loaded with good amount of fiber thereby improves digestion. it provides you relief from gastrointestinal and a few problems associated with the liver.

Thumbnail by Ansio
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

All good comments, Ansio. kkduck was asking about food preservation safety.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.