What's eating my rose mallow leaves?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I have 2 rose mallow which have beautiful blooms but something has munched the leaves! Does anyone know what I can do to prevent it?

I do have caterpillars eating kale and swiss chard in the garden and learned over on the beginner veggie forum that I can use BT powder against them. Might the caterpillars be the culprit here, too? Nothing else in my flower beds have holes in the leaves - just the rose mallow!

Can post a picture on the weekend, if it helps.

Thanks.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

A picture would help.It could be caterpillars,but it could also be Japanese beetles or another pest.
Lynn

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

We don't have many japanese beetles - only seen a few. I'll try to post a picture on the weekend.

Thanks.

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 5a)

sawfly larva, try to hand pick the little green worms, good luck, hard to see them

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

We have sawflies too, all over the area. Several people in the surrounding area have them. I notice that they tend to affect roses that are in areas with less wind. I have five roses on my parkway that are untouched, but several others, closer together in other places, in which sawflies are having a party.

By the way, if you cut off the damaged portions the plants grow back well. And they respond to treatments like spinosad, but be careful to use it in the evening when bees aren't around (for me that mean 8 p.m.!) and use it for about three days in a row.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.