pears, pears and more pears.. wonderful pear honey!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i came across the best recipe for pear honey! i have a pear tree that is loaded down with fruit and i dont like pear preserves so i was searching and found this recipe....i have made 35 jars already and plan on making more to give as christmas gifts. this taste so much like honey its unreal.

8 cups of peeled, cored and diced pears
8 cups of sugar
1 cup of unsweetened pineapple juice
yields about 7-8 jelly jars (half pint)

mix all together and bring to a boil stirring frequently to prevent from burning. when the mixture comes to a full rolling boil then turn down to med heat and cook 2-3 hrs. cooking time can vary. i cook until the pears are almost translucent and golden. it needs to be the color and texture (thickness) of honey. i test mine by dropping a few drops on a saucer and letting cool for 5 minutes then see if you like the thickness. then i strain pears from the "honey" . laddle hot honey into warm jars and place into boiling water bath for 10 minutes. this is wonderful on biscuits! oh and the pears that are taken out taste like candy! the kids love them. i froze them to use in fruitcakes this christmas.

kelly

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Fantastic idea! Beautiful pic too!! I'm gonna try it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That sounds wonderful!

I'll bet you could dice a few of the pears and leave them in the "honey" too for a chunky pear preserve... what do you think? (assuming you liked pears -- which I do)

Harford County, MD(Zone 6b)

I love pear honey... I've not made it in years, so this is a reminder to make some more when pears are ripe. You're lucky you don't have to buy yours.
My recipe only differs slightly from yours, in that it calls for crushed pineapple, lemon juice and rind.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This sounds (and looks) wonderful! I may have to buy some pears just to make some...

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

the pears are wonderful and i dont see why you couldnt leave them in the honey.... i just took them out my husband doesnt like the texture of pears. i love pears myself! i made buttered toast this morning and poured some of it on the toast it was to die for! i am ashamed to say but we have lived here for 3 years and i have never made anything from the pears. this is the first year i have canned anything and i enjoy it so much. those pears will never go to waste again : )

kelly

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Kelly! Of course, I also liked your idea of freezing them and using them for winter baking... :-)

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I haven't made pear honey since my kids were little. My recipe called for crushed pineapple too but we liked pear bits in it as well. I ran some of the pears through and old fashioned hand crank meat grinder and they were great in the pear honey.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, that's a great idea... I've got a grinder like that! Did you run them through before or after they were cooked down in the "honey?"

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Before they were cooked. I peeled, cored, cut into quarters and ran them through the grinder, then added them to the pear honey about half way through the cooking process so they would get terribly overcooked. LOL, not too many folks have that kind of grinder anymore. I still use mine to make relish. I have pear trees that should start putting out next year and my kids can't wait for some pear honey.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I think I'll try that... maybe have some diced and some ground... I've got my grandma's grinder, and I love it! I see those old grinders from time to time at the thrift store or at a rummage sale. I should probably pick them up so I can offer them to people here know how to appreciate them! :-)

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

LOL! The fact that I have one that I bought new tells my age! But I wouldn't take anything for it, it's real useful for some things. In my younger "poor" days, I used it to make hash too. BTW, the first time I made pear honey, I didn't put in the ground pears and it seemed too runny. The addition of the pears (plus the crushed pineapple) gave it more body.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Do you cook this covered or uncovered?

If you cook it uncovered, how do you keep from ending up with pear butter?

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I cooked mine uncovered to make the constant stirring easier. The thickness factor was a learning experience for me. When it starts to look right, I just spoon a small amount into a bowl, let it cool for a few minutes (setting the bowl in ice speeds the process), and see if it's the thickness I want. For my kids, it had to be thick enough that it wasn't runny so they could put it on biscuits. The desired thickness seems to be a personal preference.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I am looking forward to more ripe pears and this recipe.

(I decorate with those old grinders...lol...they look great on my deck railing, even if no longer functional, since I won't clean them. I think they're grand!)

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I am out of pears on my trees but have leftover canned pears from last year, probably 8 pints. How do I make pear honey using these pears? They have been quartered and placed in a light sugar water. I opened a jar yesterday and they are still a little firm as I don't usually can soft pears. the recipe looks interesting above and would really like to make it using up the canned pears I already have. Anyone have any suggestions?

(Terri ) South Bosto, VA(Zone 7a)

If you've got a food grinder, run the pears through it, add more sugar and cook them down into the honey consistancy. Instead of pineapple, I use a thumb of grated gingerroot, along with 1 tablespoon of powdered ginger, in my recipe, it's 5 pounds of whole pears, then peel, core and run through the grinder, then add 3 lbs of sugar.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ack! I WANT to make this... and pears in the store are too pricey! It seems like no one locally grows pears. Sigh.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Is it pear season now? I picked up some apples at an orchard this week and I think I saw pears there too. I'm very curious about this recipe! Can it really be like honey? From pears no less? I'm intrigued.

(Terri ) South Bosto, VA(Zone 7a)

It's thick like honey and I guess you could make a case if the seasoning is correct, it tastes like honey I just like it as a change from jam on hot biscuits, plus ginger is good for you.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, I remade my canned pears into pear honey last week. I diced up the pears, then cooked them with the sugar and pineapple juice. Strained the pears and canned the honey. Absolutely delicious. I find more recipes on this forum than I ever thought I would need. And......they are wonderful. I have pear candy now if I can find a use for it. I processed it in separate jars when I processed the honey. We do not eat fruit cake, any suggestions?

(Zone 7a)

lovdaylilies, Do you have to put them in water bath, do you think you could just seal them like jelly? I don't have a water bath, I made some pear perserves a few years back. Those sound soo good. Thanks Katherine

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

You can make a water bath with any good-sized pot. Just put something in the bottom to insulate the jars so they don't break. A cake rack, wire some jar rings together, a pressure cooker rack or even a towel will work.

As long as the pot is tall enough that you can have an inch of boiling water over the jars, you're good to go. If you're canning 8-oz. jars, there are a lot of stockpots that will work.

There's no health risk in not canning full-sugar high-acid foods like pear honey or preserves, but you do risk a shorter shelf life and mold because the honey hasn't been vacuum-sealed. A boiling water bath is a more certain method for maintaining the original goodness.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm loaded down wiht pears too. Have you opened your pear honey yet? how thick is it? i'd love to know if it has the consistancy of honey.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

i just got a bunch of pears from a neighbor . They are green and very firm . The others are redish yellowish and really good but the skin is yukky.
Dumb question " how do i know when the pears are ripe ? " i was under the impression they are yellowish when ripe and a bit soft. These are rock hard. Can i use them now ? for canning ?
i was excited seeing this thread. ! oh pear honey sounds wonderful !!
thanks
taynors

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I use the rock hard ones for making pear preserves, they need to be hard to make pear preserves with, Ijust got done this very minute peeling , slices and coring a 5 gallon bucket of hard pears, and Have 2 more to go LOL goin g to make pear preserves.

with them

Oh good kathy_ann
thanks
i just might go back and get more pears LOL .
Yes i guess if the pears are ripe then they get mushy ? got it .
Ok good to know
thanks again
sue

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Really -- rock hard? That's good news! I thought I had to wait until they ripened (in the fridge -- if you ripen pears at room temp or on the tree they get grainy) to a firm-but-sweet state (no longer crunchy). This will let me free up some fridge space... :-)

yeah
I m going to see if the guy has more today. He had some huge ones, duh why didn't i take them too LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the "pear candy" part would be good spooned onto vanilla ice cream or yogurt or mixed into pancake batter...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, not rock hard, LOL but hard, someone told me the harder the better, but if they shake off the trees, that's ok to use them also. their not too soft, I've even used soft ones, they just turn to mush when youcook them down and don't keep their shape like hard pears do, and you want them to keep their shape and turn translusent like onions do when cook ing for pear preserves.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK... Kathy, are you talking "ripe but firm" then, or are you talking about making preserves from pears that are still downright crunchy (crisp like an apple)?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Both really, Pears i've been using are crispy like an apple. almost crunchier LOL

I've got them cooking now, they stay their shape better than the soft kind, you can use the softer ones too but not the "yellow" ones, their probably too ripe to make pear preserves out of. I'm going to make some cinnamon pears using the red hots, someone told me they do that with the ripe ones, and they are wonderful. Just shook the trees, picked up a couple more 5 gallon buckets and gave them to a friend, still have lots left on the 5 trees out there. so i'm gonna make cinn pears too. first time doin gthat.

yo ucan use ripe but firm and the extra crispy one sfor pear preserves. I bet the pear honey was made out of ripe pears too. sounds wondrful

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Got it. Thanks for your patience, KathyAnn!

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

I use ripe yellow pears. Not mushy but firm-ripe as I would for regular canned pears. I've even used Bartlett windfalls. Day one I macerate the pears with the sugar and lemon, folding occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Day two I cook just until the pear pieces are translucent. Then I cover with a cloth and let sit overnight. That equalizes the weight of the fruit pieces and the syrup so the fruit doesn't float to the top of the jar. Final day I strain out the fruit and cook the syrup down to the jell point then add the pear chunks back in and bring back to the jell point. Pull off the burner, let sit 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally to distribute fruit. Jar up and can.

They're true pear preserves with wonderful flavor. Like pears to the 10th power.

Carol

My neighbor says he has more pears !!! yeah on that
good to know on the pears and the firmness. Oh i can't wait !!! giggleing :)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Not a problem critter.

We just got back from taking the cow to the slaughter house, I had to turn my pears off, and now i'll be up the rest of the night putting up pear preserves. eye yi yi!!

someone needs to make me some biskits LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Since we're on the subject of pears, anybody got a recipe for canning pears with cinnamon candies? I'd like to do that, but can't find a recipe for it.

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

Kelly, I made pear honey last night using your recipe, and it was fabulous!!! I got 8 half-pints and a little extra. I put the extra in the fridge and the consistancy is more like honey than the 8 jars I ran through the bath canner. I must not have gotten the temperature high enough or cooked the pot down enough, regardless, the stuff taste just like honey and I'm thrilled!

I froze the pear chunks I strained out of the honey. I'm thinking now if I put them in the dehydrator, I wonder if it would make them more like glace' fruit for cakes?

Thank you so much for the recipe!!

Bev

Bev that sounds so good putting them in a dehydrator. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.