North Central Texas Fall Roundup Trade Thread #2

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Mornin Glories!!

Wow... we are busy lil bees this morning..lol I like to see it too!!

Kim!! Horray for the break..huh??!!

Ty Jennifer!..I know you are a good lil plant momma.. and they will be big and strong by time of the A RU!

Josephine..The one Phyllis is talking about is as tall as me..lol I told off on myself on the T RU thread that it is in a flowerbed I haven't tended to all year!! I am digging it up.. BUT do you think one that large would transplant and live? I'll definitely pot it and any others around here.. we have millions of them too!!

James!!.. are you going to be able to come to the RU's??? It will be good to see you again! PLEASE!! Let me dig you sassafras!!

Pattie.. yeah you listed some coleus'..lol.. that's where I got the info to ask for some..wow..you listed a lot.. BUT I will be happy for any of them!! I have that "greedygut piggy oink oink" in my blood...hehehehe

Longview, TX

Beck5711
I'm hoping to come and I really would like some sassafras trees. I'm hoping that MiBus2 will get me a couple, but I always want a few more as they are butterfly host plants. Besides, it not often I get to see people from your neck of the woods. I went to Stephen F. Austin University back in 1965 and 1966 and knew someone from there but I don't remember who it was.
Jameso

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

I just updated my list with more stuff. wow! it's actually getting quite lengthy - I can't believe it!! :)

Please everyone take a look & let me know if you see anything else you might want.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

"greedy gut oink, oink?" I thought it was just a mass outbreak of RU fever. I can just hear it: "The Center for Disease Control has just announced a new outbreak of RU fever in Texas. This is highly contagious and, so far, there is no cure."

Jennifer, I'm with you, is it October yet??

Frostweed, for us newbies, do we need to bring tables, chairs or anything that we might not think of? Also, thanks for the hint on my list, I'm trying to keep it straight. :)) Peg

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Pattie, no problem with the DLs, I'll have plenty of room. I think most of my co-ops and orders should be in before the RU, so I'll put down a stargazer too.

I hope you'll be able to make it, James. If not, have fun on your trip South:0)

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

jameso which Thursday?

I'll go find some more starts and dig them up ...and put them in a pot for ya ...I've found keeping them a lil moist helps through the shock of diggin and I'll try to make sure I get alot of root with them.

I just can't get it all together this morning lol..

Pattie.. the Stargazer bulbs I have are the orientals already have you don't for some

Jennifer... pleaseeeee... 1 each of your hostas?? BTW... we always have more than we thing we do... some of our stuff is soo common to us that we don't think anyone would want any.. right??

James.. I'll dig some too for you.. maybe we'll (me and Phyllis)get you some that finally live

Peg... hehehe yeah.. and I hope there never will be a cure.. I can get "high" just from digging in the dirt.. TG I never tried drugs.. I was a goody two shoes..LOL.. but I don't see how they could be any better... been meaning to say.. that I hope to ask everyone I get plants from.. where they like to live.. and how much water etc... that way ..maybe I'll plant them right the first time!

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Opps, I'll take the stargazer off mine/Pattie's list. I never could figure out how they came part of the conversation :0) It must have been because of you, Beck.lol sorry

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Jennifer, I lost my 'Strawberry Candy' daylily and would love to have one of yours. How about a 'Raspberry Pixie' daylily in exchange? I dug that one last night and have an extra fan to share.

No Lynea.. give her some of yours too cause mine are bulbs.. no.. let's blamePattie..

Pattie.. hope you can read between the lines.. I have you "down"..lol not "don't"

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

James, thank you very much, you always find unusual plants, I will treasure those too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peg, I don't think it will be necessary to bring tables, I think there are 18 picnic tables at the place plus 6 large tables for the plants, but if you want to bring a chair or two to set it at a place you like, that might be a good idea.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Becky, if the tree is too big and it doesn't look like it would work please don't go to all the trouble, you are such a sweetheart.
Josephine.

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

the reading I have done says they don't like transplanting real well ...But some I have had luck with and some not.
right now I have some real small ones in the back room in water and out of the 6 of them 2 are still alive and looking okay the rest are dried up and go figure the 2 alive don't have much of a root to them.

I would say Beck wet it down good before diggin it up if you really are going to try and pot it then keep it moist and not in direct sun until it gets over its pouting.
I am going to go and dig up some more small ones ...even some that I thought were dead came back so who knows.

Josephine.. doesn't hurt to try

Ty Phyllis for the info

O.K. but please don't go to a lot of trouble for me.

Pat - I'll mark you down for a Strawberry Candy daylily. And I'd love to trade for your Raspberry Pixie. Also, can I get one of your Beefsteak plants? Those look gorgeous!

Becky - I've got you down for 1 of each hosta!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Jennifer! I'll put you down for perilla magilla (beefsteak plant) and 'Raspberry Pixie.'

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pat..... I have loads of EEs and will bring you several pots.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

blue_eyes, I'll take one of the passionvine incarnatas if you have any extra. I can put it where I pulled up some Japanese honeysuckle... it can't be worse than that! :)

Does anyone else feel like a kid in a candystore right before one of these swaps?

Dennis

Esther - Can I get your Canna 'Tropicanna'? I think those are just gorgeous! Check out my list & see if there's anything I can set aside for you...

Thanks!
Jennifer

Yes I do Dennis, if Kim doesn't have the Passiflora incarnata, I ca give you one.
Josephine.

Josephine.. even if it's a little trouble.. you are worth it!!

Dennis.. yes that is a good description of us.. even after the RU!!

Thank you Becky, you haven't asked for anything from my list yet, you better, before it is all gone.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I've got plenty of the incarnata, I'll put you down Dennis.

:) Kim

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Kim, I would also like a start of your white passion vine and some pink tall ruellia. I am pleased to see that you are still with us after this day of testing! Hope you can relax a bit this week-end and then sail through the orals next week.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

You guys are just a hoot!

Becky & Cocoa, doesn't matter to me who brings Stargazer. I'll appreciate it whoever brings it. It will get planted at my mom's house, which for me is the same as planting it here. They adore flowers but can't get around too well any more, so I'm their gardener, and I am VERY possessive of "my" beds over there (LOL). So, if there's an extra, I'll plant it here. If not, I'll wait for hers to multiply and move one here later. I hope my own Oriental/Asiatics will multiply enough to share by next spring.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Sheila, you are very generous and have very nice 'ears'!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

ROFL, Dennis!

I was just sitting out in my back yard looking at all the new things blooming out there, and I had to comment about it One year ago, due to a contractor mishap, a lot of my back yard was covered at least a foot deep in really bad caliche clods that were also full of garbage. Whatever the contractors didn't take out was damaged by a watering mishap. It looked really, really awful. Did I say awful? It looked like a nuclear wasteland.

Today, that same area is beautiful. It's now covered with new plants from DG friends who were willing to share. The contrast is really amazing. I mean, I have gorgeous things blooming out there that I didn't even get until June. I can't wait to get out to my back yard every evening. I can't believe that just one year could make such a difference.

So, I definitely know just what you mean about candy stores. And it's not even the end of August yet--we haven't yet hit our "second growing season." LOL--we are hopeless. But what we all gain from it is just amazing.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Pat....I'll mark you down. I've got my last written due tomorrow, and my brain is already fried. But at least I get a few days to recoop before Wed.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

jenepat, I am drooling for DL Pammeke. Do you still have one to trade. Look at my list.If nothing interests you, I have some other DL that might be looking better once it cools a little.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

charlenesplants, if you have a red, purple or white nice bloomer, I 'd be interested.
Yes, I love this trading....like shopping without spending $.

Patty... my story isn't the same as yours.. but this year I decided to live for ME for a change.. and went wild getting plants.. joined Daves in March.. gone to 2 RU's already, and am truly amazed by all the sweet people I have met, and totally in awe of all the plants I have received!! I was showing Lyle the obedient plant and how you could move the lil flowers, and as we were talking.. looked down and they had moved back to the way they were.. NOW how amazing is that??..lol

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello Beck! I had a great BD today! We woke up this morning to Shelly having pulled an all-nighter in my Computer / junk room. It is awesome! She is the best organizer ever! Man, I didn't know there was a floor in this room! The shelves actually have stuff on them that I forgot I had. The cabinets are neat and tidy. It is too good to be true. She is a saint!

Then I had a BD dinner and Shelly baked my fav cake (choc w/ 7 min frosting).

Lastly we went on a long drive to look at a tractor in Sante fe. We found a good deal on Craig's list and went to check it out. It was definetly a good find and we will be going back with a trailer for it. It is too big for our low boy. We are going to have to rent a float to haul it.

Charlene

Charlene.. so you made it home huh?? Happy Birthday to you again!! I am soo glad you have Shelly there.. for more reasons than one.. BUT how nice to organize your computer room!! So you got the tractor.. great!! Must be a BIG one to NOT fit on the lowboy!! Tell John congrats!!

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

It is an '87 case international 70 hp w/ 4wd. It is just what DH has been needing. The sugar sand eats 2wd tractors. LOL Anything less than 45 struggles under a round bale. The price was right and the extras with it all made it a good deal.

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm thinking Trois lives in Sante fe. I guess I'll look him up for when we go to pick the tractor up. I don't remember him coming to the Jacksonville ru, but he will likely be at the North Texas one.

I am getting anxious to get everything potted for this event. I have some done already! I traded things that I had just dug at most of the other ru's and I think they will have a much better chance if I dig them and get them potted up in advance. Your plants always look nice, as though they weren't suffering from being recently potted up. That is my goal for this RU. Nice looking and already over the shock of being potted up. I am getting a little confused between the two so close together though. I hope next year that will change.

Charlene

Sheila... I thought I saw where you wanted the yellow cannas.. but I can't find it.. did I dream it?? LOL

Josephine... I also forgot to tell you that I had you down for a dogwood sorry.. Could I have a salvia guaranitica?? That sounds pretty!! Does it need to go in full shade like plant files said?

Charlene.. yeah.. that is a big boy tractor for sure!! If you are talking about my plants looking good...huh.. not all of them.. but maybe I can keep on trying till I get it right..lol

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I've also found that things dug and potted up in advance look a lot better by the time the RU comes. The other advantage is that, if you're doing small cuttings, they have more time to get a little size to them. That's always a help, but especially for a fall RU. They get a much bigger head start before winter comes.

Becky, Thank you for the Dogwood, the Salvia can take some sun semi shade is best.
Josephine.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Pbtx....could I get some of those coneflowers? The ones I have are doing well and I want to have nice patch for next year.

melva....could I get some monarda? And does anyone know why our red ones died back? Is this normal? My mom thinks hers died.

banana....I'd love a couple columbines if you still have some.

charlene...I'd love some hardy purple verbena.

Ok...enough stalling, back to the test.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.