Poochella's Second Batch 08

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I know I've been grousing about a rotten summer. All of it is true. There are trees turning, Geese are flying south (back home from my yard to the neighbor's, but still southerly.) Despite that the dahlias are slower and smaller by half than they should be, I will start a new thread to show the ones that do get a chance to bloom in our un-summery summer. We have no hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, or spouting volcanoes, so I'll just pawn this off as an off season and thank my lucky stars I saw any blooms at all.

Here's one from Todgor I've been cheering along for for days hoping it would open:
Jocondo, which is a contender for the brightest purple/pink/magenta glowing petal I've ever seen. It's not open by half yet but should be this week.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jocondo a bit open; the camera cannot capture the velvet glow here. Like Babylon Rose, Al. Or Jax Char to follow. Or Fiesty Frieda. All are in the same ranks of hilariously bright colors somewhere between purple and pink.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jax Char was new in 07 and a big winner. It's still bright and wonderful but smaller this year.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Purple Mist: BB kind of a dusty purple with white tips. I almost want to say muted purple because the color here isn't bright, but still pleasant enough. Lots of petals make a full bloom.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A new pink lovely from Lenjo! Sweet Dreams, just open for the first or second day. It is a medium true pink with some white inside. Lots of stems, and I suspect it will open up further from here.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wyn's Peach Sorbet is fuller, more dry, peachier, and cactussed up. Only a side view tonight.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Back to purple for the last one tonight: Irene Ellen is in bloom! Another rich purple that is hard to get digitally. Lovely bloom.

More coming up in the days ahead....

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Good to see you with some flowers Annie, I seem to always recall the NW having some heatwaves in the fall so maybe...

I like the color on Sweet Dreams, the other bright magenta ones are sharp too.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice to see ol' Jocondo is up and running! I like the Purple Mist too! I'm sure you'll like my Regina, what a purple monster bloom (coming soon here). Getting warm again in this area, for awhile. Think warm thoughts! Indian Summer and all.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gorgeous all!!

Joanne

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

just beautiful poochella,just beautiful.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Warm thoughts to you, Annie! Purple Mist is really pretty.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Jocondo is gorgeous!!! I need that colour.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jocondo is the reason I am putting Todgor in my will. LOL! Thanks Tod! It's fabulous in color and size both. I took a vase of dahlias into work today and the ooh's and ahhh's over that dahlia alone were worth the trip. For a large dahlia to be blooming now here, this cool year, really says a lot for it too.

A couple more- some repeats, but better photos (hopefully :)
Clearview David is back in 08: one of those 'outlined' petals I just love. This one in a nice medium lavender on lav. or white. The size of this bloom is easily half what it was in 06, like a lot of blooms this year.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Right up there with Ken's Flame for fiery colors: Salsa Picante survived the winter and is still bright in those orangey/red/gold colors but half the size of last year. Everything is late, small, or nonexistent this year.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Coral Frills, which really intrigued me last year, but I never got a clear photo of it. And still haven't! Here, it is a mix of medium pink/gold/orange that all blend to a pinky/coral at a distance. It was a hugely robust plant last year, and half of that, but still 6 ft tall in 08. Lots of flowers.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Little dahlias: the pompons:
Frank Holmes was an impulse buy at our dahlia association sale: Nice lavendery blend with the usual mass of petals in a neat little round package.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Aurwen's Violet is a punchy bright violet pom with lots of blooms.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sweet Dreams is more open: nice pink SC with lots of stems. Thanks Lenjo! This makes up for me killing off a lot of my pinks this year.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ahhhhhhhhh droooooooooool

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Poochella, Thanks for the DLs
Have new fetish now, OH so Love them. Happy camper now.
Coca introduce me to them. never new how cool they are. LOL

This is "Duet"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

"Pink Attraction"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Ohh why did you not tell how fascinating they are. Have a new tread on the Love I just found, Thanks from Carla.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898884/
Tills

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 7:08 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mmmm Salsa Picante...

I adore the pompoms too....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Still a little new to this, What is, No which is pom poms?

" Pink Cactus"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hey Tills! Every time I've seen a DL bloom, I wonder if yours came through for you. I didn't tell you about dahlias because you've only got so much time on your hands, but from your link, I can see that you work wonders, so perhaps you should have hubby till up 1/4 acre or so and get ready to plant. You converted that space into a feat of tidiness! If only it was so easy as clicking a photo...

Cocoajuno can take all the blame for your dahlia urges from now on~! They rank right up there with daylilies, roses, irises...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome tillysrat to Dahlaholics Anonymous ^_^. It seems you already have sponsors ^_^ Please post all and many pics of your dahlias. That's part of our aversion therapy treatment ^_^

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O so hooked, and lovein it.
"River Dance"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

"Eveline"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

"Orion"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o I like Eveline. I lost my whites (mostly cactus) to DBCS (death by catsitter-long story) so I need whites. Do you like the blends? white/lavender is my new passion and 'Orion' sure seems to fit that bill. Does the colour hold on that one or does it fade to white after its been open a couple of days? Inquiring addicts need to know these details LOL.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Annie. they did well, But the sad part is "Miss Mary Mary" is not who she is suppose to be, Either miss taking tags or ? don't know but all like her color, and want it. But I know I have her, have to wait till spring.
She is all yellow in 2 stages. LOL

" Kelvin Floodlight"
Do I win and fit in? Have 4 not ready yet. LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I like Eveline too- beautiful white. You are sunk Tills. It's clear! Tee hee! Cats just love lounging underneath the cover of a well grown dahlia on a hot summer day..... I think you need more!

I love your Riverdance. Look at those petals! Riverdance is one of those reliable dahlias: good grower, lots of flowers in a lovely bright red, good tubermaker and stores well on top of all else. Well done Mary!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Opps for got Pic. I have 2 Dinner plates.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Two stages of yellow! That's not right. She should be a peachy/barely yellow blend. I have much more of that one, so keep a spot open, even though there are 100 dahlias more beautiful than that..... LOL!

You win and fit in. Welcome aboard the dahlia express. Hold onto your hat and your shovel.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Fell in to a new trap, LOL

Stewart, TN

The Jocondo is absolutely gorgeous. Breaks my heart.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

According to DG She is yellow with a single bloom, then comes back with a double. Have know clue, But you know how many want the pink. LOL to many.
This is her.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Clearview David and Orion are my favorites! With Ferncliff Sensation I have gained a new appreciation for light dahlias with dark petal edges.

Wow, Annie, are you leaving me your tubers? LOL! Perhaps you will name a pet after me if I give you some Regina tubers, I took a 9 inch monster high-depth bloom to work today, and I had neglected to remove the side buds (a thousand aaaaarghs!) Such a nice purple.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

But my parting shot for the night, and yes I'am hooked, LOL thanks for welcome me. all my babies.( or most of them)
Tills

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.