Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sweet Autumn Virgin's Bower, Japanese Clematis (Clematis

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sweet Autumn Virgin's Bower, Japanese Clematis
Clematis terniflora

Fall Clematis - 20' stretch...has Cypress Vine mixed in (red flowered).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I just have to say that this is one of the most beautiful presentations I've seen. It looks like a snowbank! Well done!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you.

Montreal, Canada

I was just wondering: is this one plant or many?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The Fall Clematis I featured above is around 9 or10 years old. I think it is basically one plant. Further up the north leg are 3 more much smaller clematis vines. There used to be another about as large as the big one that every year climbed high up into a tree. Unfortunately. a storm in early August blew the whole tree over.
I'd estimate the vine runs 40 to 50' in the east-west axis and 25' on the south-north run.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

This is an awsome picture.. I am glad to see the red mixed in with the white.. I started my cypress vine last year in my sweet autumn and it was great! Gorgeous Picture, by the way!

Greensburg, PA

How large across are the flowers on your vine. I have seen plants locally that have about 1 to 1 1/4 inch blooms. I am looking to get a few plants to cover a fence. I noticed some plants growing in the wild, with similar blooms but the flowers do not have much scent. Do you know the exact variety of your plant?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I know not the variety, it was here when we purchased the property. It has a wonderful fragrance. It has been fairly containable in years past but this past year has seen a great profusion of self seeding that is proving hard to eradicate. Around September the 1st every year it makes a fantastic presentation. The individual flowers are probably around an inch across, maybe a little less.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Mine are trimmed away from my potted plants along the hedge on the south fence, they are about to bloom and will look like a wave of snow on top of the tall Spirea. Very scented and fragrant, and then I catch as many seeds as possible or pull up the volunteers.The more I snip, the more it makes buds.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2010 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.