Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sweet Autumn Virgin's Bower, Japanese Clematis (Clematis

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sweet Autumn Virgin's Bower, Japanese Clematis
Clematis terniflora

Fall Clematis - 20' stretch...has Cypress Vine mixed in (red flowered).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I just have to say that this is one of the most beautiful presentations I've seen. It looks like a snowbank! Well done!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you.

Montreal, Canada

I was just wondering: is this one plant or many?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The Fall Clematis I featured above is around 9 or10 years old. I think it is basically one plant. Further up the north leg are 3 more much smaller clematis vines. There used to be another about as large as the big one that every year climbed high up into a tree. Unfortunately. a storm in early August blew the whole tree over.
I'd estimate the vine runs 40 to 50' in the east-west axis and 25' on the south-north run.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

This is an awsome picture.. I am glad to see the red mixed in with the white.. I started my cypress vine last year in my sweet autumn and it was great! Gorgeous Picture, by the way!

Greensburg, PA

How large across are the flowers on your vine. I have seen plants locally that have about 1 to 1 1/4 inch blooms. I am looking to get a few plants to cover a fence. I noticed some plants growing in the wild, with similar blooms but the flowers do not have much scent. Do you know the exact variety of your plant?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I know not the variety, it was here when we purchased the property. It has a wonderful fragrance. It has been fairly containable in years past but this past year has seen a great profusion of self seeding that is proving hard to eradicate. Around September the 1st every year it makes a fantastic presentation. The individual flowers are probably around an inch across, maybe a little less.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Mine are trimmed away from my potted plants along the hedge on the south fence, they are about to bloom and will look like a wave of snow on top of the tall Spirea. Very scented and fragrant, and then I catch as many seeds as possible or pull up the volunteers.The more I snip, the more it makes buds.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2010 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.