Thumbnail by todgor
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mingus Phillip II:

Thumbnail by todgor

Mingus Randy:

Thumbnail by todgor

This is not Jim Dandy, which I ordered, it may be Chimacum Troy or something else:

Thumbnail by todgor

Pee Gee:

Thumbnail by todgor

Rhiannon Tammy:

Thumbnail by todgor

Taiheiyo Purple. You can't imagine how glowing purple this is from the pic, I brought one to work and its like a big purple 10" beacon.

Thumbnail by todgor

A sadly diminutive Timona Pastel:

Thumbnail by todgor

Wyn's Conquistador. If I get this again, I would put it where there is more sun! Not too big.

Thumbnail by todgor

Wyn's Eeekk!!:

Thumbnail by todgor

Wyn's Moonlight Sonata:

Thumbnail by todgor
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

i also have "pee gee" and it is definately as keeper.

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

wow todgor your Dahlias are beautiful. I am new to growing these beauts and although moving from Michigan to Tennessee my dahlias grew to 5-6ft tall. The only problem I am having now is what to stake them with, and how to stop this disaster. O yea and when to dig them up here in Tennessee as we really don't get that cold not like Michigan weather. Any advice? Would really appreciate it

Thumbnail by kountrykitten

I bought some 8 ft stakes from A M Leonard online, they aren't too expensive, but if you have a lot of rocks it can be a pain to sink them. That should be tall enough. I was looking at your thread on your problem, I'm not sure what would do that, did you spray them in the day time with any oil-based insecticides, or anything else unusual? It could also be something below eating the roots. Or bacterial wilt, though when I had that they were oozy and wet. As far as digging, if you are in zone 7, you should get down to below freezing? As long as you get a bit below the dew point, say 25-30 degrees at the time, you should have a hard die off. They will turn blackish and shrivel. Wait 1-2 weeks after that and dig. If you don't get that cold, you can cut them off at the base and wait the same and then dig.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You have quite a collection Tod. Mingus Nicole has a beautiful glow to it. What do you think of Eeek? I've seen it live at dahlia shows.

kitten, how much light do your dahlias get? Fewer hours of sun exposure can make for tall plants. All of mine are taller than expected. If you're serious about having dahlias, go with sturdy metal stakes: rebar, fencing posts, or the kind Tod has. They'll last longer than wood and provide good support for taller plants.

Well, Eeekk is different, I'll say that, I think I like the fuller lacinated ones better though. One thing I didn't like is that the blooms don't last long when cut, I think a long-lived bloom is usually a fuller one where the structure can support it when drying. Oddly enough they last real long on the plant.

Is it crazy to want to move to get better light for growing dahlias? LOL! I can't reach any higher.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking stilts might be a holiday gift idea for me this year Tod. Fiesty Frieda, Mazama, and a couple others are at least 8 ft tall. Maybe 9. 6 ft I can handle on my own. Miles of tie tape has been used here this year, especially now that rain has arrived in September.

I'll just go on the record and say Eeek is freaky and probably a large part of its appeal, but I'm with you: I like a fuller dahlias with more petals. I can see how it would dry up faster when cut- less substance to protect petals from air/evaporation etc. To each their own. That they last long on the plant is probably a good attribute.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

todgor,
Alls I can say is WOW I have looked through this thread twice and I must say I cannot pick a favorite, very nice colors, great variety, and just amazing blooms!
Thanks for the great dahlia show, I know where to come for my dahlia fix, I have been told they do not grow in Phoenix, where I will eventually live again.
Thanks so much..I am in awe!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cocoajuno I'm wondering if you could trick a dahlia into blooming in Arizona? I'm thinkin that if you kept it cold and dark and then woke it up in September you could have a winter bloomer? I thought of this because the AZians are just starting to garden with petunias and springish stuff now.

A few more, this is Jewel Huston:

Thumbnail by todgor

Laura's Dream, a big and dark red one:

Thumbnail by todgor

Pennsgift:

Thumbnail by todgor

Shiloh Noelle:

Thumbnail by todgor

Utrecht, an A but this was a bit sub-size:

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 10:02 PM

Thumbnail by todgor

Wildman:

Thumbnail by todgor

A group of Kelvin Floodlight blooms:

Thumbnail by todgor
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want them all. The book of lists is becoming a tome LOL.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

More beauties Tod, but Shilo Noelle gets my immediate thumbs up- such a delicate faint lavender/white.

Laura's Dream looks absolutely velvety too- nice dark one.

You sure do a great job of growing and supporting all those big blooms. My Kelvin kicked out lots of large blooms, but now with rain and gusts of wind they are face down in the dirt more often than not. The party's over..... til next year.

Well, its funny you should say that Annie, because we have a big multiday heavy rain now, and all the monster blooms are upside down, even though I put lots of stretch tie up near the blooms. Ugh. I want to make those umbrella on stake contraptions next year to spare the big boys this indignity. How about a product that is just an umbrella canopy with a hole in the center to push it over a stake? I'd buy that!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's a great idea for h*a*i*l todgor too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's the hat you need for your plants but in a larger size!

Thumbnail by pirl

LOL! That's perfect!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images