It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

9 ft. decorative curtain rod WITHOUT center support bracket?

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

We have a 9 ft wide, 8 ft high triple slider doorwall, presently covered with one-way draw vertical blinds.

On impulse, I bought some PERFECT rod pocket drape panels on sale, thinking to use a decorative rod & rings. Then I discovered most rods over 60" or so need center support brackets to avoid sagging. That blows my idea of being able to slide them by hand one way with a fling rod (like you see in some hotels).

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem & their solution - before I resort to my sewing machine, pleater tape and a traverse rod...LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Try it w/ a single piece of metal pipe.That's what I did w/ the same problem. Brass or copper more $ but works too. I don't know if you could find a wooden dowel that long. Unless you secured 2 pieces of long dowel together w/ brackets the panels could slide over. Or what is it called when you drill a hole in either end of ea dowel and put a little wooden rod in them and push together forming 1 long dowel?

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, anastatia - I think I'll try your suggestion on using pipe. I was worried about sag, but heck - if it doesn't work I'm just out the price of pipe and rings!

Thanks again.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Sag was my issue too. One thing you can do is put the center support bracket to the left of center where the fabric/curtain is gathered when pushed back/open. Maybe 2 panels on one side of the support bracket and 2 on the other so you can pull fabric to the end for privacy. I think I had to cut a hole in one of the panels because the bracket showed between panels.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is an excellent suggestion! I have a large window, and my other rod broke from sagging. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.