Nervous Breakdown

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Please send all cards in care of the loon house. I wonder if anyone has ever went nuts trying to find eyes?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

With my glasses on and off, I can't figure out if I finding them or just a dirty spot that got missed, so if ya go I wil go with ya and then we can chat and go nuts together. LOL

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Great I will meet you there. I think I am going to have to get a magnifying glass to look and see it that helps.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

If you both have long stays in your respective facilities, I bet the generous Dg'ers would send you pots and tubers.

If you can't find obvious eyes, instead of going nuts about it, why not just save the good tubers or clumps in the method of your choice and let Mother Nature show you what's what come Spring. Much easier.

Spotting eyes gets easier with time and with cooperative clumps.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL... That sounds like fun. I'll make sure I bring plenty of coffee. : )

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I will bring cookies. That is what I did last year. I did know I should seperate them so I didn't. They were very pretty this year. If I can't find the eyes I guess I will do the same.
Star to bad we don't live closer to each other maybe 4 eyes would be better than 2.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will bring chocolate. I am just coming for the food. No stress here. I divide and save them all and let the dahlias tell me in the spring.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sounds like a party to me. All we need is somebody to bring the tunes and chips.

Makshi... Who knows, if the drought don't let up here soon, I wil be finding myself back up north. Had a good time when I lived in Indiana. Lived in Kendelville and Ft Wayne for quite a few years.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Don't go nuts! I've always had trouble, so I just try to evenly divide the neck amongst the viable tubers. 90-95% of them grow sprouts. The dahlia seems almost heroic in its efforts to survive and reproduce.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well I have been looking at them so much my eyes are crossed. They are going to get wrapped as is and put in a box in the basement until next spring. :)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I was in distress at first. After you start chopping them up, it gets real easy. If in doubt, just leave a chunk of crown on the tuber. More than likely there is an eye or two there.

I made up a thread on cleaning & storing Dahlias.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919059/

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Country I gave up and wrapped them and put them in a box to sleep until next spring. My eyes even with the new glasses for crossing.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I looked and looked and the ones that didn't wink back at me I just wrapped whole. : ) Maybe next year they wil be enough to divide for sure.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Starlight maybe we will bother be able to see eyes next year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We'll have a fun time in the "facility" together! I may have found one eye but only one out of the many tubers I've dug so far.

I went with Todgor's idea and chopped the clump into pieces with my cleaver and a rubber mallet.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Actually, playing around a bit, you can divide the clump without getting the broken tubers.
It will come apart with very little cutting. Cut the old stems off first, right tight to the crown. The crown is the part the tubers are connected to.
Bernie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I carefully quarter the stalk and jiggle the quarters and it usually comes apart quite easily.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ok, now what are quarters? Does anybody have some pics on how to do this cut and crown thing. I am sooooooo lost. LOL

I figure I gonan need to start looking for tubers cuz figure this first year I not only gonna have a mess but have rotten ones too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cut it into 4 pieces like a pie and then jiggle the pieces and the clump will separate. http://www.qedoc.org/en/images/thumb/9/96/PieChartFraction_OneFourth.png/300px-PieChartFraction_OneFourth.png

This was the clump so I tried tugging but, in the end, resorted to the cleaver. Next time I'll quarter the stalk before I wiggle. Thanks for the help.

Thumbnail by pirl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oooo luvly clump pirl. Very tuberlifik.

Too uncomfortably big for me. I like them smaller and less intimidating.

Thumbnail by pirl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Are you sure those aren't your taters? I don't like the really big ones either. Fair to midling are my favs.

The smaller ones are such quick work!

Maybe this photo will help some of us grasp where these elusive eyes come from:

Thumbnail by pirl
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh my!!!!!! Look at that clump. It huge!!!!!!!!

Love that word. Now I got a new Dahlia word ... tuberlifik LOL

Oh ya Pirl. That helps a bunch. great picture ya made. Thanks bunches. : )

Now whre I see like a littl ebit of green, am assuming that a new shoot coming up. With stroign them, that will die right? So next year wil it make another shoot from there or is that eye all done and won't make anymore there?

The AC Accent photo was taken right before I planted it this past spring so it did grow.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

dahlianut, I thought your link would be some wondrous Canadian dahlia guru info site, but was immediately transported back to 3rd grade math when I clicked on it! They make it look so easy..... 1/4, 3/4. There are no worms pleading for their lives or rocks hiding in that nice graphic!

Pirl- that's a superclump. I'm with you on liking the lighter weight, less tuberlific ones especially coming out of sodden ground as we have now. I really like the ones with evenly spaced tubers that only need one little clip to get them off the clump.

If you don't want to ruin possibly good tubers with a cleaver, wash them real well so you can see all tubers, then pick off the obviously good ones to save, cut off no-eyed or weak-necked ones to get them out of your way and work your way through the clumplooking for obvious candidates. Eyed treasures can be found by turning the whole clump upside down too.

I've had several 'clumps' come out with only the mother tuber and a couple spindly tubers- really weird, and a couple little tight knit ones that will have to be stored whole til next spring. They're all different- just like the flowers.

I did turn it upside down and even found the mother tuber but trying to find eyes still eludes me so that's why I went at it with the cleaver (plus it felt really good). Some pieces broke off that look like they may have eyes so I saved all but the chopped up tubers and they went to the compost piles.

Thumbnail by pirl
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Love your cutting tool there Pirl. That little guy does have eyes, but otherwise that's a tight-knit lot to cut into. Nothing jumps out at me as being an easy pick at all, but my eyeballs are so dahlia-fatigued, it isn't funny. I think I have a clump in the garage that would clearly show eyes on the underside and will try to photo that tomorrow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had one clump like her picture. Once I got started on it, it went easy. Sort of fell apart. I lost a couple tubers, but they were ones with very long necks wrapped around everything!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hey Bernie: I cut your last few glads today! Last "autumn color" bouquet to take to work. They are wonderful. Something nibbled off a few stalks and quite a few plants, but I never saw deer hoofprints. Do rabbits eat glads?

I have a really odd L shaped tuber, it may be stored already, but it formed into a perfect 'L' so I saved it that way. Some of them get really curly and gnarled in a big clump, but I hadn't had an L in 15 years.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our helper has been cleaning our glad corms. She is almost done. I didn't miss doing them.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thank heaven for helpers. Wish I had one!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow pirl, a cleaver and a mallet? I have used a fruit secateur for the last 3 years, this year I ordered a lobster cutting thing that Jan of Jan's Country Garden swears by. Its kind of the same tool though.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I say that first pic of pirl and her cleaver and thought wow.. let me stand back, she got some serious dividing going on there. : ) LOL

Can somebody explain to me why the little indentations on the bottom part of the tuber, on the ones that don't have eyes, why would not those little indentations make eyes. Has anybody tried to put them in dirt and see what would happen. They remind me so much of indents on a potato that eventually might make an eye.

Hate to see anythign wasted if it cna be used.

Well, I tried a folding saw but the cleaver was so much easier and less of a chance of tearing the skin of my hands. It couldn't have taken more than a few seconds to get through it.

Starlight - standing back is the best place for anyone else.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Starlight I say try and let me know how it works.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Good idea. : ) Will give it atry. Got some small piece sitting here on the table and will pot em up and see if they do anything.

Solon, IA

Dahlia tubers are unlike potatoes in that they only eye up around the crown, the indentations will never form eyes. If when dividing a clump, you break the eye off at the root, the tuber usually will not grow, it may start another eye but it is iffy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.