Ptilotus "Joey"

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Something new for 2008-09 native to Australia grown from seed. Seeds were planted approx late July 2008 and this photo was taken today (Nov 22, 2008). Plant is approximately 12-18 inches in height. I never pinched the plant and it branched well on its own.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon,

I tried one earlier this year and it did great until the really humidity of summer set in. It flowered constantly from April until it croaked in July. It was getting leggy towards the end but who cares? It didn't set seed so I will have to buy another if I see it in the shops.

When did you plant yours?

I planted the seeds outside in a tiny 2" square plastic seed starting container in July 2008 and re-potted them twice as they grew quite fast. The first blooms appeared in October. Maybe mine survived the heat because I grew them on the inside of screening around the pool??? Perhaps the pool screening filters a percentage of the summer suns intensity???

Jon

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon, you may be right about that plant needing a little shade in summer. Screen, the window or pool cage type is 30% shade. I will have to consider ordering some seed from Park and trying them again this coming year.

Thanks for the information Dale. I figured the screening around the pool filtered some of the sunlight, but I had no idea what the percentage is. It may sound a bit wierd but I always start things from seed inside the pool area for that reason and also because there are fewer potential pest problems on the inside of the screening.

Jon

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't grow many things from seed, I am a lazy gardener. I just pay the nursery industry. My whole garden (the front yard) is 15' X 20'. I have the lawn, 3 large containers of seasonal flowers and a narrow bed around the porch. Since I work in the landscape industry the last thing I need to do when I get home is spend time in the garden.

Here is my half of the duplex, years ago, things have grown>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Nice picture Dale. I figured you must be in the industry based on your knowledge. I just started gardening two years ago and completely redid the outside of the house, by myself, with a more floral theme. I basically either buy stuff online or grow it myself from seed because it seems all the local retailers down here basically carry the same plants/flowers and the selection seems to be a bit uninspiring. Here is a photo I took on Sept 27, 2008 showing a portion of the front yard here in Plantation, FL (10 miles due west of Ft Lauderdale).

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice grouping. Is that a Dahlia (pink) I see growing? I have never been able to grow them here and I can't figure out why. And I have never seen anyone else have any success with them, go figure.

I have had success with other plants, but never with dahlia or echinacea. I am big on the over-planted look and why not? Especially when it someone else's money.

Nice photo Dale. I'm really into Gaillardia and Rudbeckia right now and have about 6 varieties of each at various stages of growing/flowering. Yes that pink flower is a Dahlia. I haven't had any problems with growing Dahlias or Echinacea. The Dahlias have done best as long as I keep deadheading and pruning back the spent stems. Here are a couple of other photos I just took late this afternoon starting with Dahlia "David Howard".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And a few Echinacea starting with Echinacea "Harvest Moon".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Tiki Torch"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Magnus" grown from seed.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly Echinacea "Green Jewel".

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like Echinacea, but, they are expensive as plants go. Too much money for an annual.

I am trying a lot of new seeds this year, Layia (looks like Gaillardia flowers) and hollyhock from seed. Plus some salvia. I love Salvia farinacea, but, the local nurseries only sell the blue. I have 4 colors, plus Salvia coccinea (Forest Fire and Snow Nynmph).

Here is S. farinacea in the colors I am trying>

Yeah I like Salvia also but have only seen the blue colored Salvia available at retailers. Most of my Echinacea are perennials actually. They practically bloom year round. Sometimes they spot blooming for a month or so, but then they start up all over again. The key is/has been to not overwater them and for me they have performed best in partial shade. I tried Hollyhock seeds once before but I struck out. Here's a photo from yesterday of something not typical for success in South Florida. It's Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction". This plant has been good to me the last two years blooming three times last year and yesterday was the third this year.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Another photo of Ptilotus "Joey" with Hibiscus "High Voltage" in the background.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I finally found my photo of Joey>

Yep, that looks like "Joey" to me. It sure is a unique plant.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Jon and Dale, I was excited to see your pictures. I am going to be starting Ptilotus from seed this weekend.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I sowed my seeds this morning, and I was wrong. Its not Ptilotus, but flamingo feather celosia. They do look similiar

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/180416/

The Ptilotus does very well for me pennefeather. It's been in constant bloom since last November with very little maintenance. The plants self branch very well.

Jon

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Jon,

Wow, what an unusual plant this is. I have just placed an order with Summer Hill Seeds for this plant and several others too. lol

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. :-)

Donna

Yes, it is an unusual plant Donna. It's something unique and different and a good choice when you're looking for something midsized in height for your garden.

Jon or Dale, could you please help me in how to pronounce Ptilotus?

Donna

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I've been following this post since it began, having first heard of this plant last year and wanting to see others' experience with it.

Donna, your question made me smile. When my kids were little, they loved Shari Lewis and Lambchop. Someone asked Hush Puppy a question regarding pronunciation of a word, and Hush Puppy replied, "The "p" is silent, as in "Delaware"". My kids still laugh at that when we think of it, and I thought of it here because I'm *assuming* the "p" is silent!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Can't help with the pronunciation, I have never heard anyone say it.

The Online Garden Dictionary says - ty-LOH-tus

It is a succulent from Western Australia and a recent introduction (or more accurately a recent fad).

Thanks Dale, that pronunciation makes sense. lol

lol @ digger

Thanks for the info Dale. Quite a few of my neighbors have asked me how to pronounce it and I've never had a clue. Here's another photo of Ptilotus "Joey" (accompanied by Gaillardia "Goblin") that I took this morning in the front yard. The Ptilotus has been in bloom for about 3 solid months now and each bloom stays open/looks nice for at least a month. I think I've only deadheaded about a dozen, or so, blooms in about 3 months.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon,
Are you going to save seed? - those seeds are expensive. Park calls it Pitlotus exaltatus 'Joey' and 20 seeds are $7.

These are all annuals in a pot by the front walk>

Dale,

I ordered mine yesterday from Summer Hill Seeds. You get 10 seeds for $2.95.
http://summerhillseeds.com/ptilotus-joey-new-for-2009-p-710.html?cPath=21

Donna

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Donna,

They are going to do very well for you. It is a Mediterranean plant and perfect for your climate.

More annuals, from today>

Yes, I didn't pay much for them if I do recall. I can't recall who I ordered them from but it was sometime last summer. At that time I only remember one online retailer had them for sale, but now I see them everywhere.

Jon

Dale, I figured as much as we have similar climate. My climate is just a tad dryer than yours though as we don't have that darned humidity that you have. lol

Donna

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you think it would do in South Texas heat?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Just dandy....it ain't the heat, it is the humidty.

Crotons are not annual, but, I don't care....

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

I just bought one of these yesterday. I have never seen them and wanted to try it. It may not like the humidity here though. We'll see.

I am so bummed. My seeds started to germinate and then they just keeled over and died. I think I should have started them outside when the weather warmed up instead of trying them inside first. I also should have saved a few back incase I had a disaster, which I did.

If anyone has anymore seeds for this, I would reallllllllllly like to have some.

Donna

Just an update on my Ptilotus "Joey". They grew and bloomed well from about October 2008 - late February 2009. At that time the blooms stopped and the foliage turned brown and the plant died. It was a beautiful care free plant for about 4 months here in South Florida. Not sure how it would fare during real summer heat and humidity. I have a feeling it may be a struggle.

Jon

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

what do the seeds look like ? A friend gave me a baggy full of the flower heads that were done and drying up. I was hoping to collect the seed from them.

I don't recall what the seeds looked like as it's been some time. Sorry I can't help some more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images