Snow at last!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We finally got snow last night. When I woke up this morning we had 3 inches and it is still snowing. It was getting really dry here so the snow was badly needed. I have a feeling that the entire Rocky Mt. region is getting snowed on. Hopefully this is just the first of many such storms.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We had snow this morning too. Not on the ground, but floating down in the air. Temperatures aren't cold enough for it to stay, but its still nice to see.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It got into the 20's here last night and is currently only 30. It will probably melt off pretty soon, but I was delighted to see it. And it is still snowing!

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Floating flakes and nothing more here. I do so hope that we get a little bit more maybe something that would be a little more wet! Everything is so dry.

I have been enjoying my fire in the woodstove though, even though it is not really snowing much.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Its just a warm-up for Winter. Its gently reminding us of what snow is like so we can contemplate it before having to drive on it for real.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh boy, you are right dparsons. One of my most vivid memories of college at UNM is of drivers trying to get up the hill on Grand ( now called MLK) in about 1 inch of snow. It was a zoo. I hope all those Albuquerque drivers are rehearsing in their heads what real snow driving is like. You all just do't get enough to stay in practice.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You know it pajarito. I think its worse than not enough practice, its non-application of brain power. My first year living here after moving from San Diego I could drive better on snow than 75% of the locals, and I was NOT experienced. I keep a set of chains in my car over the Winter now. I haven't really needed them yet, but I have them. They are mostly intended for when I take trips to see the relatives at Christmas or when I go x-country skiing in the mountains. I do not want to get stuck.

Santa Fe, NM

I woke up to a dusting of snow this morning. It has been snowing lightly on and off. I have a fire in the wood stove, too, LissaD. I need to get out for a walk in it before it's gone! I love snow if I don't have to drive in it although I have never had any real problems with the little front wheel drive cars that I like. When I lived in Illinois I had horrendous snow and ice experiences. It has taken me many years to get over them!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The worst snow and ice problem I have ever seen was one New Year's Eve in New Orleans where they almost never get snow. Everybody was sliding into everybody. By 7:00 am they had already reported over 100 accidents. My dad called home and told us not to go out because it was crazy. And that was with closing all the bridges and overpasses of which there are a lot in New Orleans. What a day!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, can't believe I missed this! I loved our snow a few days ago... like all of you, love it as long as I don't have to drive in it! We might be getting more this weekend... stay safe, everyone!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Both my husband and I drive 4-wheel drive vehicles so driving in the snow is not a problem. I love the snow, but I had the frozen soil beneath it.
Proof that rosemary can grow outdoors here -- while shopping in Santa Fe yesterday I saw two sizable Rosemary bushes outside the door of a local Italian restaurant. These bushes were against a south facing wall and were in beautiful condition. I hope to get some in the soil in the spring. My little rosemary Christmas tree from several years ago is looking a little tired these days.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Major blizzard blowing in here this afternoon with temperature to plummet. Sure hope our persnickety furnace hangs in :o

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They are predicting slight chances of snow here starting tonight and going through Tuesday. Let us hope we get some of it. I figure that if I can't garden, we should be getting lots and lots of moisture. I don't think we get the big blizzards you do -- but we do get snow in the winter, enough to support several local ski areas. Town areas are lower and get less.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a baddie. soferdig I hope Mrs soferdig is tucked in snug as a bug? http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=alerts&placecode=caab0049®ion=wwcaab0006

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Pajarito, some rosemary is more cold hardy than others, make sure to get a hardier one. There is one called 'Arp' that is good here.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have heard of ARP and there is another one called Madeleine Hill. I hope to put in both in the spring.

Santa Fe, NM

As with many plants, dry cold seems to bother the rosemary more than snow. Snow insulates. It is cloudy today and from my headache I can tell the barometer is doing something!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yep, I think so, too. Grey sky, warm temperature. The weather bureau says maybe 1/2 inch. I would prefer approximately 10.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Windy and cold here, supposed to be getting snow, (for the next 5 days!) but not much so far. But, a bit of the "biting" cold coming in...

B.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Snowing yet B?

We have rain mixed with freezing rain and a bit of snow this morning. It is kind of going back and forth. Can't decide just to snow! :) I get to get the kiddos all bundled up for church today... I hope I have enough sweaters!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, we got about 5" overnight, still snowing now!

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I am sure it is beautiful. Did I ever mention that I grew up in Durango? We would go to camp out at the lake there. We tried to rent a house to vacation there in Dolores one year. It was on the river, but they didn't want to rent to us because we have 5 children! Ah well, we found something else, but I like Dolores it is such a quaint little town. :)

We never did get any snow on the ground. But we did get a little moisture. That will help.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Durango must have been a lovely place to grow up. We just headed there the other day. Dolores is very quaint... we love it here!

Santa Fe, NM

We woke up to about 2 inches of snow this morning. Streets were slick in spots but not bad. Very cold, tho! I've been in my silk long johns all day and I guess I may have to buy another pair because I don't want to take them off!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think 2 pair is mandatory for Santa Fe Roybird. I certainly make use of mine but its more on weekends and we're not as cold as you are.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I would love to just lazy around for a whole day in my PJs. by the fire.... with my computer. LOL. Things are just so busy for the holidays. It just seems like we have something to do every day! I am fairly social, but still. I think I have reached my limit.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I was home all day today after a very busy Saturday. It was really wonderful just to stay indoors with the dog.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have become one big drift. This should show my herb garden. At least everything is all warm and snuggly under the snow.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, that is one big drift! Lots of snow here, but it's settling. We're expected to get a lot more tonight...

Santa Fe, NM

Snowing this morning! So far about 3 inches. Schools are open and all that. Yesterday was very social for me. Went to a class, had coffee, visited Kevin's parents and went to an open house party! We also made fruit cake later last night. I am looking forward to a quiet day today, but I do want to get out and walk in the snow at some point.

Santa Fe, NM

Good morning, Brenda!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I bundled up like the michelin man to bring the birds a warm bath this morning and waded out. No sign of any birds which is good cuz the the pot froze to my mittens and I dumped it trying to get unstuck. Interesting to try to open the door with just your elbows. Me and the birds are just going to hibernate for the day.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We don't have anywhere near as much snow as you do, dahlia, but it is coming down steadily and is supposed to continue tonight and tomorrow. Still, we only have about an inch or two. The snow keeps blowing it somewhere.

Santa Fe, NM

When I wear my warmest jacket I feel like I'm wearing a sleeping bag. We fed our inside and outside birds this morning but I'm afraid the outside ones will only get ice cubes here. Too cold. Maybe later.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Good morning!!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We finally are getting what looks to be real snow here. It hasn't accumulated on the ground yet, but its coming down for real.

Dahlianut, you must be very motivated to give your birds a hot bath in December. If I were a bird I don't think I'd be getting in the water.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think being clean helps fluff out their feathers and keeps them warmer dparsons. Why else would you jump in a wet bath at -30. eek!!

This message was edited Dec 15, 2008 12:57 PM

Santa Fe, NM

I thought they needed the water to drink. Meanwhile, it is still snowing here. Probably 4" now on the ground. I shoveled the driveway about an hour ago and I think I will do it again before sun set.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wanna do mine roybird? Huh? Wanna? This was shovelled 3 times yesterday.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is my 16 1/2 year old dog, Keisha sleeping in the snow. No, I didn't make her do it. She insisted on going out. She has always loved snow and loves to lie on it on her belly to get maximum snow contact. She has very long hair and I suspect has a tough time getting cool.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.