Snow at last!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And here is Keisha when I opened the door -- looking a little baffled, I think.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

How funny that first pic of Keisha is! Where's the second pic?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And now the photo!

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

OMG, what a great picture, and gorgeous dog!! She is beautiful, and obviously loves the snow, LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

She is such a sweetheart, and yes she is lovely. Keeshonds are beautiful and smart dogs. They can outsmart me more than I like to admit. And she does love snow, but not wind. Very discrimnating dog. Yesterday when it was snowing and the wind was blowing like crazy she stayed end until the end of the day then went outside when the wind had quit. She is the same way about her food. Because she is ill and wasn't eating for a long time, they told me to do give her home cooking. I started her out on chicken livers and rice, but one day the store ran out of chicken livers so I made ground turkey and rice for her and after that she would only eat chicken livers if I left them there a long time and she was starving. I quickly learned that ground turkey and rice is where it's at for this little canine. She is doing much better since she started eating.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

What a sweet face she has! I have have a long-haired dog too & he loves to be out in the snow, just like your Keisha. Cocoa just can't understand why we wouldn't take him for his walk this morning when the temperature was 3 degrees below zero.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I like that first picture pajarito. I used to know a Keeshond.

Santa Fe, NM

I like your pictures of Keisha, Betty. She sure likes the snow. She's looking quite healthy, too. We now have about 5" sticking and more coming down. Kevin might shovel a bit this evening. I couldn't keep up! They closed the state offices at 2:00, same time as they closed the elementary schools. It was a bit of a mess downtown. Kevin was at the state engineer's office. He expects they will be closed tomorrow and he'll be working from home. So you may not hear much from me! I will be laundering my long johns.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, so much for your comments on Keisha. She is a wonderful little dog and I do really enjoy her. She seems healthy, but the truth is that her kidneys are failing. We keep her alive on sub-cutaneous water -- 2 days out of 3. She probably won't live much longer, but we are making her as comfortable as we can. Dr. has her on pain meds. I have her on home cooking. When the time comes we will really miss her.

Gosh, you have more snow than we do, roybird . We only have about 3 inches, but it is coming down pretty hard. I was supposed to go to SF for the hairdresser tomorrow. She just called to see if I was still coming. I didn't realize what things were like in Santa Fe. It is supposed to continue to snow all day tomorrow. But the lab is still open as far as I know. Better call DH.

Santa Fe, NM

Of course, there's no telling what it will be like tomorrow. But, it's a pretty good bet that roads will be icy in the morning. I imagine the main streets will be sanded. Watch the news tonight. Be careful. Four wheel drive is great for snow but ice is something else!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Keisha looks so refreshed in her snowiness and quite perky paj. I showed these pics to the crazy ole cat. He thinks Keisha is nuts and promptly went to hide out in the cupboard in case I was thinking that he would like to be in the refreshing snow.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your cat is a very wise cat. You can't be too careful when the snow is up to the top of the birdbath! Keisha eventually decided it was even to deep for her and she asked to come in. Besides it was dinner time for her.

Santa Fe, NM

Ladybird thinks it might be too cold out for her. She and Spot watch the outside birds chowing down and acting like ruffians. They are quite refined and picky for jail birds.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ladybird is right!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I had to be so careful when I had zebra finches about drafts. Don't even think about it Ladybird and Spot! My outdoor birds have been pretty scarce. Staying in the evergreens to get out of the wind. I thought Chick and Dee were little piglets this summer they stashed so many sunflower seeds but I guess they knew that they would want to stay in the trees this winter. The last few winters they haven't been that diligent. Funny how they know. The wind chill is supposed to let up tomorrow so all will be good.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm looking for a snow picture. Yucca, earlier today.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that's very prettiful roybird.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely snow yucca!

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

We have snow! REAL snow, and it is supposed to snow more tonight and tomorrow from what DH says. :) 4 in here so far.

Thumbnail by LissaD
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Great shot LissaD.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Did the wagon come with the house or did you bring it in? It is obviously an antique.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Just gotta post it to keep perspective here. Just so you all way up North realize the magnitude of Albuquerque Winters. I just finished clearing the snow off my driveway and sidewalk. I don't happen to own a snow shovel. I use a push broom.

:)

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Wagon came with the house, cool, huh? I have been enjoying it, using it as a prop to photograph my kids and my friends kids.

Dparsons01 is right, we had a big snow two years ago and every store in town was out of snow shovels! It was crazy. We were lucky we had a hand-me down one. ;)

(my boys on the wagon, just had to share)

Thumbnail by LissaD
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Great pics of the wagon and especially your boys! So cute! Well, now our snow is deeper than our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are tall, LOL! They had to leap through the snow to go out this morning!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

LissaD,
Nice of the former owner to leave you the wagon. I bet it would cost a bunch to buy. Your little boys are clearly having a wonderful time on it. They are so cute. That is a picture you will treasure forever.
Well, this storm turned out to be a doozie. My little Keisha, who loves snow, was so intimidated by the depth of it that she barely could be made to go out this morning and was back in a jiffy. The lab is closed and the schools are closed and that is a rarity. The lab management would rather die than close down the lab, it seems. DH is enjoying a day off. But the lab didn't change its web site. Only people who called the lab snow phone or looked at KOAT's web site found out that LANL was closed. So when my husband went out to get the newspapers this morning he found all our neighbors thinking they would have to go to work at 10:00. They were delighted to get the news.

Santa Fe, NM

About 7 or 8 inches here and still falling. Kevin is working at home so I'll be scarce at D.G. The state workers are on a 2 hour delay, as are the public schools. In Santa Fe the powers that be like to keep everyone on pins and needles by making last minute decisions. It is really difficult for people with school age children. Nice picture LissaD! I am going to eat lunch at the little restaurant across the street from us today. Yesterday one of the waitresses was digging her car out and she was dreading how slow it might be. so, I promised.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would say we have a foot or more of snow now. Thank goodness! We desperately needed the moisture, and, I hate to say it, the cold. Now my entire garden will be wet. It really needed it. Off to shovel snow!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, that is a LOT for Los Alamos, isn't it?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Checking in from Montana. We are in the deep freeze, but still alive and kicking. My dog thinks she wants to go for a walk, but she's wrong. It's minus 13F. The pet stores had a run on dog booties, and I can't find hers anywhere.

Birdlet, your first pic of Keisha made me laugh so hard! That's not even identifiable as a dog!

Sunday we had a fiesta. I was making grape juice ice stars in one of those special rubber ice trays. All I had to do was set them on the porch for an hour. It was colder than the freezer.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think its a good day to go out to lunch. The restaurants won't be crowded and they'll be glad to see you.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I had an email in my work inbox informing me we were on a 2 hour delay this morning. Nice.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! Montana is cold! Glad you liked the Keisha pictures. She made me laugh to which is why I had to pass them along.
The amount of snow we have is a lot for Los Alamos, but we usually have storms like this about once a year. One year I remember getting 3 ft. of snow just before Christmas. It was a huge amount of fun.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea about going out to lunch. Snow makes me hungry. But in Los Alamos, the restaurants may be closed -- I'll have to check. The restaurants love it when they can take a day off here.

Santa Fe, NM

Went across the street and had a delicious home-made veggie burger and fries! There was a fair lunch crowd. After shoveling a whole lot of snow; worked up an appetite. By this afternoon much snow had melted on the street. We're supposed to get more snow Thursday. It's great to have this! I'm a little worried about getting in to teach my class Thursday. But, if it is too much snow I'll have to call people and cancel. I spent the afternoon in my studio since I finally had the time to heat it up properly. Very fun. Dparsons, it occurs to me that now that we have the train going between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, it would be easy for us to have a visit sometime! Without much driving. How cool is that?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It is cool. Just makes us that much closer. I think it would be great to do.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like the idea, too. If you make a plan let me know and I will tag along!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We drifted in again last night. We've tossed in the shovel as we can't keep it cleared in this wind. I wonder how I will dance on Sunday when it's this deep?

Santa Fe, NM

You may have to dance indoors by a yule log. Then you would need to drink "Grog". Which is What? We are having an interim melt off between storms. Today may be the day to go out! Maybe we should do train stuff when Dahlia is here in January! Everybody, come on down.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That would be great! Dahlia and the rest of us can catch the new train and go visit dparsons. That new train is going to be very popular with lots of people! Hooray for public transportation for New Mexico -- which has had precious little over the years.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

January would be great - after the holidays. LissaD may want in on this party too. A Saturday or Sunday would work best for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.