Snow at last!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that is a toughie paj. It's sooo hard to choose when you want to take them all home. I too believe that a puppy is a great thing for an aging dog. One of my buddys got Zowie when dear Rufus was failing. Ruffie assumed responsibility for training Zowie in dog ways and I think it really make his last years happier.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, good luck with the puppy search! You will find the one (or two) that are perfect for you, or rather, they will find you! Have fun and be careful out there!

Brenda

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Another way to get a good used dog is to call your veterinary clinics and they know the dogs they are finding homes for and can tell you their personalities. Also purebred rescue has had all of their dogs fostered and they can tell you a lot about them. Just some other ideas. You are good to find a needy dog a home. Oh yes and Greyhound rescue is the best!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

If you make it to Albuquerque on your search, the city's animal control facility is a better bet than the humane association's. Its cleaner and the animals are better cared for.

Santa Fe, NM

Sofer, I love your song lyrics! Paja, I didn't know you were puppy shopping. How exciting! Long ago, when I discovered that Kevin really is allergic to cats, we asked our vet to help find a home for the kitten I had rescued. He hooked us up with a Super nice woman who was looking for a kitten as her cat was getting quite old. It was a great match and I even got to come visit. I would run into this woman over the years and hear how my kitten was doing until finally she ( the cat ) got old and died. It was a really neat relationship.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well that is just a lovely open adoption story roybird. Sidling back over to the snow topic (sidle, sidle) I heard today that this will be the first time since 1971 that all of Canada will have a white Christmas. Happy White Christmas Canada ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

We had 8" of new snow this morning! Happy Christmas New Mexico! The snow last night.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that is so prettiful. I luv when the snow stays on the branches. I'm still trying to get a good pic of the big ash up the street with its Christmasy lights and snow.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So much for global warming - at least for this Winter so far.

Santa Fe, NM

I was wondering about that. Maybe the far north is getting warmer and sliding south. So it is colder in the south and warmer at the north pole. Obviously, Not a scientist. Another thought is that global warming isn't so much about warming but more about unpredictable storms. I think that may be true. But, I also believe in Druids, so don't take my word for it!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

What is the matter with believing in Druids?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, that seems like a lot of snow for New Mexico... is it? I have to say that one thing I missed living in Arizona was snow and winter weather at Christmas. I'm loving it here, as I keep saying, as long as I don't have to drive in it! Happy White Christmas Canada!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I believe in Druids and I'm a Rocket Scientist and I too think the tragically freaky storms and bad conditions are a result of global warming. I bet your garden is luving all that snow roybird

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I'm exhausted and we still have a few more last minute Christmas orders to fill tomorrow, plus I am fixing a big dinner for company tomorrow night.

But I thought paj would appreciate a quick doggie story since she is puppy hunting.

When it got to twenty below, our old Aussie mix had to go outdoors to pee. She has thick fur, but apparently she hated the feel of that much cold on her poor feet. She immediately flipped over on her back in the snow and laid there with her feet sticking up in the air!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is a great dog story! Sounds like the result was messy! I just got home with the new puppy -- about 7 months old and very sweet. They said it was malamute and laborador retriever. I say probably not. It is a medium size dog the color of a golden retriever but not as big and lanky. It is a sweety and seems amazed at getting petted so much. She apparently just discovered snow today. There is none in Peralta -- probably melted right away when it touched the ground -- it is 100 miles south of us. The new puppy, Raja, ran out in the snow as soon as I pointed where our outdoors was. She was entranced, running through it. She is young and didn't worry a bit about the cold. She is already learning to sit on command.
I got her from a lovely dog rescue lady who got her from the City of Albuquerque in November. We thought about actually buying another keeshond -- they are wonderful dogs, but decided to try a rescue dog this time.
Keisha and the new dog are each pretending that the other doesn't exist, but there has been no growling or worse. I think they will be friends before long.
And something else wonderful -- maybe it is a sign. This lady lives in a farming area with lots of hay fields around her house. Standing in the hay fields were a whole bunch of wild Sandhill Cranes -- so beautiful. It was great to see them again. There are jillions of them on this western fly way, but they don't usually stop in Los Alamos.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I love you PJ. You are a gift to society and dogdom.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Aw shucks, Sof. She is truly a sweet and lovable dog, I am so glad we chose a rescue dog. I saw her picture on the internet and realized that it was love at first sight. I went down today and discovered that she was just as happy a girl as she appeared in her picture. Right now she is in the back yard eating snow. Our keeshond likes to do that, too.
It is great to have another dog in the house.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Congratulations, PJ! Although I (very carefully and responsibly) breed my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, I truly love all dogs and am an advocate of adoption of rescue dogs. There are so many that need loving homes. Here's the thing, dogs are dogs, and offer amazing unconditional love... doesn't really matter what they are, their spirit always shines through. Let's see some pictures!!!!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Pictures tomorrow. I am too lazy to get the camera out of the car. I have had a run of pure bred dogs. Time to take in a mutt.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well done, Pajaritomt!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A lot of snow for NM, bsavage? Maybe up North in the mountains. Albuquerque got zero. We got some moisture but that let up by this morning. Of course, we can look at our local mountain and see snow all over it down to 6500 or 7000 feet.

The latest is we're now in a Global Cooling phase:
http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Widescale+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm
These rocket scientists just can't figure this out. Perhaps they were more focused on continued funding than on understanding. From what I hear about climate variance over long periods of time, were not currently hitting the extremes on either the hot or cold side and that variations from year to year is normal. Long term outlook is that the weather is supposed to be decent tomorrow and nice this weekend which will be good for traveling.

Pajarito, congrats on the dog and I'm glad you adopted. I've adopted every dog and cat I've had in my life (7 dogs, 9 cats) and really like giving an animal a home that would otherwise have had its life end. I hope Raja enjoys her new home and that Keisha adopts her soon too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A new puppy!!!! That is so exciting!!! I can't wait for the pics.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Northern New Mexico has a lot of snow right now and usually gets a fair amount this time of year. We have numerous ski areas some of which don't even have snow making equipment -- but make do with what nature gives them. Los Alamos is one of those. The elevation has everything to do with how much snow the area gets. We are at 7300 ft. Albuquerque is about 5200. I drove 100 miles south yesterday and found the snow ended in Santa Fe which is also 7300 ft. Raja the new dog seemed to think snow was definitely weird, I get the feeling this was her first experience with an accumulation of it.
We are supposed to get snow on Christmas day and Christmas night.
As one moves north in New Mexico the land gets higher and more mountainous and at Chama, up near the Colorado border, snow gets many feet deep. Same up around Pagosa Springs where there is a huge amount of snow.
Most of the world thinks of New Mexico as a hot desert, which the southern part largely is, but there is even a popular ski area in Ruidoso in the south called Ski Apache after the Mescalero Apaches who own it.
You need to come visit one of these days. We will give you quite a tour and you aren't so far away, nowadays.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I did ski once at Taos and also Angel Fire... but you're right, most of us tend to think of New Mexico as more desert than anything. Happy Christmas Eve everyone... have a lovely day!

Santa Fe, NM

Congratulations on the new puppy! How fun. You must send pictures when you can. We got plenty of snow at my house. Now we have snow and ice, too! A lot of people can't believe New Mexico has snow. At least most people now know that we are in the United States, altho I'm not sure if that is entirely a good thing! Mulch, I hope you will take some time to relax. Glad, though, that your business is doing well. Tonight we are supposed to be several places at once and do many things, all requiring driving on ice-packed, unpaved roads. ( I'm not terribly enthusiastic. ) Wishing you all a beautiful, peaceful day!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Stay safe, Roybird!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes drive safe roybird.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Merry Christmas to all my DG buddies. You have definitely made my life more fun and interesting this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Merry Christmas paj and all. It's a very magical night. There is sparkly Christmas snow too ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.