Is It Spring Yet?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just wanted to remind everyone only 11 more sleeps til spring. Also the first crocus has been spotted in CA.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Who spotted a crocus in California???? Were they hallucinating?

Since it was ten degrees here yesterday, with snow, I am feeling more frigid than springlike at the moment. However, we all know a lot can change in 11 sleeps...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

From the bulbous forum. He says its a 'winter'crocus but I think he is confused and it is the earliest of the 'spring crocus' http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5878975

Santa Fe, NM

We haven't even had winter yet where I live! Just getting started.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, dahlia, I so hope it is a spring crocus. Only 11 more sleeps -- such a joy! Winter only just arrived here in the last week or so. On Sunday night we had a tiny bit of snow when I went to bed but when I awoke we had about 3 inches and it was still snowing. It wasn't any more than that, but a lot of it melted and soaked into the soil which is where it was badly needed.
Still, I am out of the planting business for, probably, 3 months. I think I will plant the martagon lilies in big flower pots. Lilies are okay in pots, at least for a while. I still have 2 more foxtail lilies to plant. Maybe I will put them in a flower bed and pour a whole lot of compost on top so they will think they are in heavenly soil. All I know is that the books say foxtail lilies don't like to be in pots. I can see why when I look at them. With their thick roots they look like octopuses ( octupi?). So I guess they will go some where, where I can pour compost all over them.
Time for winter sowing now. But in 11 days, I will be nourished by the lengthening days. DH, who knows a bit about astronomy, told me that today was the latest sunrise. Yahoo! Unfortunately the sunset will continue to get earlier for a while. Right after the solstice, the total length of the day will begin to lengthen ( amen!) though the sunset will continue to be earlier for a couple of weeks.
I am so ready for spring!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately, that is the way the winter works. The winter solstice is just the beginning of the coldest weather, even though the days are getting longer. The summer solstice is in June, but it gets a whole lot hotter after that. But the days do start to get shorter in June. It is all about inertia. It takes a while for the warming or the cooling going on to affect such a giant mass as the Earth.

Santa Fe, NM

I can understand that. I'm a little slow myself.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is why we need to do dances, feasting and refreshing cocktails dear paj to celebrate. I have been battling the dark and gloomys this far north for a while now. Roybird wouldn't it be ok if you just didn't get winter? I've been practising my krumping so I think it will be part of my celebratory dancing although I'm a little worried about how to do the steps in my trusty gum boots. I may have to switch to duck boots after the opening ceremonial parade around the herb garden. I also have a new interpretive dance 'The Emergence of the Bulbous Things' which I'm anxious to share. I'm sooooo pumped. 11 MORE SLEEPS WHOOOO HOOOO! I sooooo want to start seeding ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dahlia, I am with you. But what is krumping? I don't think we have that in New Mexico. Gum boots vs. duck boots -- since we have very little water most of us don't know what they are! But I can't wait to see the ceremonial parade and the interpretive dance. I wonder if one can post video on DG. If not email will work great.
As for where to see fabulous iris start here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/907311/
That was the first one and it is now on thread 6 after getting up to 250 or so on each previous thread. The iris are incredible. And I will look at the SW gardening thread for the rebloomers as well. I did have a fair amount of rebloom here this year, but no where near as much as those people in Arizona and the San Diego have.
Dahlia, I can see you have learned how to triumph over winter. I will follow in your footsteps!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Dancing and feasting and refreshing cocktails, Hooray!!! I have got to find my ingredients for that special drink...

I have been wishing for my friends in AZ that they have a winter without frost. Never happened while I was there, but ya never know...

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, Brenda, I am willing to dance for no frost for people in AZ. Having lived in New Orleans, I remember how destructive a frost can be in a place that isn't used to it. I remember the banana trees, which contain no wood, freezing into a squishy pile on people's patios. The trees came back but you had to clean up the mess in order to enjoy your patio again. Yetch!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yep, that's exactly what happens to those that have banana trees in AZ... but they do come back beautifully!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The freezing does benefit other trees. I've been looking at fruit trees. Apples, peaches, plums, etc. need a number of cold hours to produce next season. I'll take the cold as an investment in good peaches.

Santa Fe, NM

Freezing and snow are essential to many native plants, too. Of course, in areas where it does that! l.o.l. Have not had my coffee yet.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, please, do not wish for a no frost winter for Arizona! I used to live there. A good freeze is needed to kill fleas and ticks. My poor dog nearly got eaten alive even with massive sprays and baths one summer after a no frost winter. Frost is good for some things, really!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'll let them know that some good comes of it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.