Anybody have pictures of holiday decor?

Santa Fe, NM

Such as Christmas trees or Solstice costumes? I will post some pic's soon. I have not had a tree or much decoration in the past 8 years but, now, I am feeling more festive. Not quite jolly, but at least not "riding the bi-polar express". Let's see! Neighbor's displays count, too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I was just thinking about that. We got started decorating tonight. We got a tree and decorated it. Not the best picture as I don't have good light. We'll be putting up lights this weekend.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nothing yet sigh.

Santa Fe, NM

That's very nice, Dparson! Pretty tree. I took some pictures yesterday and discovered half the lights were out on my tree. It is a little thrift store tree and it came lighted. Found out the lights are actually tied in knots to the branches and it took an hour to get the dead string off. Plus, I had to take off decorations, too. So, I'm a bit disheartened. Hopefully, I'll have something to post tonight.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I hope I'm not boring those of you (like me) that forum hop... I have posted these on other forums, so sorry if you've seen them before. Here's our outside decorations...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Our upstairs Christmas tree...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I need to take a better pic of our downstairs tree...will post when I do. P.S. Downstairs is a public "Lodge Room" for use by our guests (we have a small RV park here)... Tony has it all decked out in true "Lodge Room" style. I can't wait to see everyone else's pics! Come on, share!

Brenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No boredom here and I saw one already on the SW forum. Willing to see these pics many many more times cuz still as prettiful as the first time ^_^ I am hoping that the matrix will shift and send the fridgity north so we can do outside lights. I personally will be festively adorned for the first day of spring no matter water happens. I have itchy dancing feets ^_^

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Dahlia, my DH is stil looking at me like "What?"... and I haven't even filled him in on the dancing in the solstice thing, all he knows so far is that we are having some new and exciting cocktail. I figure if I give him a couple of those, he'll be dancing with me (and that takes some doing, let me tell you!). Guess I better tell him the rest... and invite some friends over to help!

Brenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brenda. I have learned that my true luv needs to be sloooooowly indocrinated.Perhaps yours could be the offical photographer this year? I also believe in the magic of the refreshing beverages theory too so perhaps his foot tapping will turn into dancing ^_^ I just work with the flow. Right now of course the flannel experiment has caused a teensyweensy setback in my solistice bonding plan oops :x

edit: sorry I forgot how to type for a bit sigh

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 6:21 PM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL, Dahlia... see my new post on "Happy Thanksgiving"... sorry, not meaning to hijack... where is everyone's Christmas decorations???? (Or Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate)... come on, share with us!

Santa Fe, NM

Well, I started it. Beautiful lights and tree, Brenda. We just got our outside lights up and no pic's yet. But, here is the tree. It is in an umbrella stand.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Here is another one. The lovely butterfly on the right is an original art work by my brother's 5 year old!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

My pictures are kind of fuzzy. Here is a close-up of the butterfly.

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Roybird! Love the butterfly!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I adore kid art!!!! Luvly pics roybird.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, you guys are so ahead of me! I haven't done a tree in years -- ever since DSS left home. I am not sure I will do one this year -- but I can photograph my neighbors' houses and the farolitos on Christmas eve.
Brenda, your house is a winter wonderland. Roybird, your tree in an umbrella stand is an inspiration and the butterfly picture is adorable.
I have done my Christmas shopping and am debating what to do about Christmas dinner right now. Perhaps a smoked turkey -- purchased of course, now that I know turkey smoking does not work at 7,300 ft unless one uses hard wood which is hard to get around here.
I have done my Christmas shopping though. I hate the last minute rushes so I do it early.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that's too funky weird about the smoking thing paj. How come it doesn't work? Not enough oxygen to make smoke?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It makes smoke but the temperature is to low to cook the meat. Yes, it is the lack of oxygen at this altitude. And if you saw the Accidental Tourist, you know that cooking a turkey at low temperature can permit the growth of all kinds of bad bacteria. The trick, apparently, is to burn actual hardwood to smoke the turkey, but we don't have much in the way of hardwood trees here, though you can order it by mail. I decided just to buy the smoked turkey instead.
I learned this the hard way one Christmas by smoking a turkey for about 24 hours but it never got done. The whole family stood around tapping its feet while I said, "Any minute now.". Finally I put it in the oven to finish it. It was delicious but very late. And no one got bad bacteria because of the final cooking at a more reasonable temperature. I only learned this year what the problem was.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I usually go overboard putting lights on my house, but this year I have just not felt like it. Here's my tree.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o I luv your angel topper and I spot a cute little hand silohette too! I love looking a tree ornaments.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

My husband's ancient Nativity set. Some of the pieces have teethmarks from his childhood dog - which makes him love it all the more.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

When we lived close enough to have Thanksgiving at my parents' every year, one thing we did on the day after was to make Christmas ornaments with the kids.

Here are a couple of my favorites. This is my son's handprint when he was 6, it's cut out of dough made from bread.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The dough cutouts were really popular & my son made lots - this is one my dad helped him paint - every Christmas tree needs a rattlesnake right?

Thumbnail by lisabees
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the closeups lisabees. Of course a rattlesnake is a perfectly logical Christmas choice. I like the diamonds.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are right. Rattlesnakes belong on Christmas trees just like alligators (which I have one of for my tree, if I ever put it up.) I also have a Streetcar Named Desire for it. You have really done a wonderful job getting ready for Christmas. The angel on your tree top is tres chic.

Santa Fe, NM

Very pretty tree and rattle snake! I like the story about the teeth marks on the nativity set. My husband's parents have Tons of ornaments, ones the kids made as well as ones they inherited from their parents. They always have a big tree and it generally doesn't go up until the 23rd. Usually one of the male relatives has his back go out carrying it in to the house. ( Just Saying... )This is a very fuzzy photo, but I like it!

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like it too! It is obvious I need a tripod in my life cuz this is as good as it gets for outside night.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a winter fairy and um a bear. There are 3 lifesize bears. I think we got a little confused about the story. We have 'The Winter Fairy and the 3 Bears'.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Are they the 3 wise bears?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

AHA that makes more sense. Thanks lisabees. Correction: 'The Winter Fairy and the 3 Wise Bears'.

Santa Fe, NM

Very funny! Nice lights, Dahlia.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Adorable. I loved that story the winter fairy and the tree wise bears when I was a kid. LOL!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

lisabees, that is the same nativity set I grew up with! Same ceramic pieces and same construction on the barn.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I love seeing everyone's Christmas decorations! Love them all! Wow about the smoking the turkey thing, as we are new to the 7000 ft. thing, and I love to smoke meats, I had no idea! I have a gas smoker, does that make a difference? (I use hickory usually in foil packs for flavor). I am definitely noticing that everything takes longer to bake/cook. But 24 hours on a turkey, uh oh, I got a lot to learn! More Christmas pics, please!!!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, Brenda, the problem with smoking at this altitude is getting the temperature up to the required temperature -- somewhere over 200, as I recall. It is not possible with charcoal at this altitude -- at least on a cold day. Your gas grill, though should work just fine. Hardwood also works fine, just not charcoal. Just watch the temperature to achieve the one called for.
Yes, 7,000 ft. does cause a few cooking problems. Brown rice and beans generally have to be pressure cooked. To cook pinto beans at this altitude, it takes 8 hours of simmering or cooking under pressure, which is what I do. It's funny when I go to Mississippi, I love to cook beans because you just put them in a pot and cook them an hour or two at most.
I have totally given up baking anything that doesn't use yeast for leavening. It is possible to adjust for the altitude, though. I a just too lazy. A fabulous book on the subject, Pie in the Sky by Susan G. Purdy is a great book on cooking at altitude. She has tested at several altitudes including testing Christmas cookies in Santa Fe. It is the best book on high altitude cooking I have seen and would be handy for even those of you at lower High altitudes, if that makes any sense. She tells what to do at 3,000 ft. , 5,000ft, 7,000 ft., and even at 10,000 ft. in some cases. If you have trouble baking, this book is what the doctor ordered.
I also discovered that all of us at 7,000 ft. are somewhat oxygen deprived. I have 90% oxygen saturation of my blood here in Los Alamos and recently had my oxygen saturation taken in Albuquerque and it was 97% -- only about 2,500 ft. difference in altitude. It doesn't seem to really hurt most people, though.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, a friend of mine who is in health care here said that most people in the area have about 90 - 92 percent blood oxygen level, whereas at lower elevations it is much higher.

Thanks for the info on the cookbook, I am making Christmas cookies today, so we will see... I may have to do a little internet research first.

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will be interested in seeing how your cookies turn out. Mine were good but much flatter than usual. It could have been as bad as my German Chocolate Cake which looked like a roller coaster.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I often end up with one giant cookie. Still yummy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Size doesn't matter in cookies -- that is if you can have as many little ones as you like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.