the new greenhouse

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've got my greenhouse assembled, anchored, and operational. Yea! I'll post a couple pictures. The first one is the view from outside. Its 8' x 12' and will definitely help with my seed starts and propagation projects.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Now a shot of the inside. The house came with all the shelving and the shelving system is built into the frame. You can see the auto vent opener up top on the left. I mulched the floor to keep my feet mud-free and to provide a little insulation. The plants on the left are mostly Veronicas that are happily propogating out to new pots in flats. On the right is Agastaches, Penstemons, Sages an Oregano, and Cistus in the back. I'll be taking cuttings of some of these, rooting them inside, and then bringing them back out. That and I have seeds to start too. Should be good for the ones requiring layering.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That is fantastic! Congrats on the new greenhouse, I'm green with envy, LOL!

Brenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Excellente dparsons01. You can starting seeding right now! I'm itching to start seeding.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Me too. Too much to do. Today is for stringing lights and other errands.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Awesome!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice setup. Who is the manufacturer? Are you heating it or no?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Systems Trading Corporation is the company name. Its their EasyGrow Greenhouse. I'm not heating it but can if I need to. For stratifying seeds I want to let it get cold enough.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I bet in your zone if you put down some gravel for heat absorption you won't need a heater. I only have to use one in March and then the heat of the sun pretty well does its.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I guess I'll be experimenting with what makes for enough heat as I'd rather not have to use power to do it. I have bark mulch on the floor now. It may be a matter of a late Spring storm coming after my tomato starts are going.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another thing a tomato guru does here is to fill milk jugs and other containers with water and puts them in his empty spaces. Again the water warms up from the sun and keeps the temperature up on a chilly night. LOL I never have any empty spaces. We'll have to share pics when we get them going. Can you do a good pretzel? That is necessary for working your way in to water once you jam pack it ^_^ ok I'm all excited. I MUST plant a few seeds.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

LOL dahlianut. Your plants will be 4 feet tall by March if you start them now.

The water idea is a good one. There is actually a product called Wall-o-water that is sold locally. Its basically a 2-layer plastic cylinder that you put around your plants and fill with water between the layers. It gets your tomatos in the ground about a month early. It would be longer they just aren't tall enough to cover more growth.

Not quite sure what you mean by a good pretzel unless you're referring to me contorting my body to get through lots of jugs.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That be it dparsons; good contortion skills are required by April. I'm thinking of training with Circe de Soleil. Forget the jugs; just to make your way through the pots.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe I need to put in a track or two along the roof that I can suspend myself with a cable. A little motor can power me back and forth and another can raise and lower me. Actually, by April I will either be planting or desperately preparing the front yard for just that. June is a hard month on newly planted perrenials here.

You inspired me Dahliant. I got started planting the seeds I got tonight. I sorted them into those that need stratification and those that don't, and then the stratification seeds by the amount of time needed. I figure I need to start with the ones that will take longest. For my smaller plants I went with more with the approach of trying lots of them and then replacing the once that aren't happy with ones I like that are happy. There wasn't always good information on growing conditions for plants that were interesting, so I'm going to experiment. I have about 35 perennial seed packets in addition to the Veronicas, Cistus, Oreganos, and such that are in there. I put seed in for a Monardella, a Campanula aucheri, a couple Phlox species, and two of the many Penstemons I have.

Denver, CO

Truly Lovely.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Can't wait to see pics as the seeds get growing!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

This should be a lot of fun.

If you have any room for containers of water for awhile, paint them black. That helps absorb heat. If you look it up, it takes a huge amount of stored water to substantially hold a higher temp through the night in a greenhouse, so I gave up on that plan for my big hoophouse when I figured out how many fifty gallon drums I would need! I forget where I found the equations, somewhere with google.

So pots of plants are better overall than pots of water.

If you can get some power out there, a portable cattle shed heater makes a reasonably safe source of electrical heat. They are designed to shut off when a cow kicks them over and are heavy built, but not expensive. It might be just the thing to get you through an occasional night or two of excessively low temps without breaking the piggybank or losing your precious starts.

I can hardly bear the thought of baby tomato plants freezing...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a cool greenhouse. Did you buy it on line or in Albuquerque. One like that would really tempt me.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the heater tip Mulch. Right now I plan on not heating as I'm seeding plants that need cold for germination and have plants that are supposed to be cold hardy. If I get to Tomato plants this year I will probably need a little heat (or localized water jugs) or possibly if we get a severe cold snap.

I got the greenhouse throught Costco online. I looked at several greenhouses and the EasyGrow looked like one of the better ones. Costco had it at a price below anyone else.

I did find one locally at Harbor Freight. It was cheaper but it was also cheaper. It didn't come with any shelving or vent openers. The add-on shelving attachment system was poor. The door was poor. I found posts here and elsewhere with people having problems with the panels blowing off because the panel attachment system was inadequate.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will check out Costco on line. I know there is a huge difference in greenhouse quality. I don't really need a very big one and sort of hate to give up the space for it. But I really need one. Maybe I can put it in my vacant lot.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I believe they had 2 sizes in the EasyGrow line as well as some fancy ones. Delivery was included in the price.

Mostly you need a spot that is flat.

The only thing I did different on the installation was I used concrete anchors and lag bolts instead of hammering in the rods that were supplied. Much more maintainable and I think easier.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok that does it. I'm seeding. Just a few trays of perennials and mystery seeds. I opened my seed fridge last night to put in just a few more that I ordered and there was a cascade. What can you do? No more room so must seed. Penstamon seeds hate me sigh dparsons.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok that does it. I'm seeding. Just a few trays of perennials and mystery seeds. I opened my seed fridge last night to put in just a few more that I ordered and there was a cascade. What can you do? No more room so must seed. Penstamon seeds hate me sigh dparsons.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You see how excited I am? I said it twice (snort)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL! You ARE excited!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Penstemons don't like you dahlianut? Why not? If you do have any success/failure wisdom to pass on I'd appreciate it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is hard to imagine why dahlianut's penstemons won't germinate. I haven't ever attempted to germinate them, but they spread themselves in my non-irrigated vacant lot. I always thought they would be a piece of cake to germinate them. Here is a link to Rocky Mt. Penstemon description at Plants of the South. She says they are very easy to grow.

http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/cgi-bin/plantview.cgi?_recordnum=1183

Have you tried planting them in the fall, and cold stratifying them, Dahlia?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Penstemons hate me. It's a know fact. I've tried everything for many years. They just hate me. I'm ok with that now. I've had penstomen therapy and have learned to accept this and move on. I'm sure you will have no trouble with them dparsons. It's a personal thing. Obviously I ticked them off in a previous life.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We'll find out. This is my first attempt at stratification. Most things are easy when you know just what to do.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have had good luck with stratification. I don't do a lot of it, but it often happens by accident in my yard. I have a massive amount of parsley and I let it go to seed. I never could grow it from seed until I started letting it seed naturally. Now the seeds freeze and thaw all winter and make a huge bed of parsley and it spreads around the yard as well -- among stepping stones, etc. It has been years since I planted parsley yet my crop keeps growing and I don't hinder it because it is nice to be able to go out and cut some whenever I want. No sacks for store bought parsley moldering in the refrigerator any more.
And then there is escarole, a green which is popular among Italians and my family. One year I planted some in 6 packs in late summer and put it out on my patio to germinate. Nothing happened and I was discouraged. But the following spring after a winter of freezing and thawing, I had escarole in every cell. I have learned to plant it outside when it is still freezing at night.
I should probably try penstemons, but I think I will be doing mostly veggies in the spring. Maybe I could get a few penstemons in now, while it is snowing. This would probably be a good time.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Simply Beautiful , awesome greenhouse.I want one so bad I can almost taste it.

Thumbnail by synda
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

My Grandmother always made escarole salad (with hot bacon dressing)... for holidays, so did my Mom, and Sister, and Aunt, and Me, until the last couple of years... it seemed I was the only one enjoying it. That could have something to do with just too much food!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome synda. Glad you popped in with your cute cats with devil eyes LOL

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I just love my kitty's

Thumbnail by synda
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great picture synda.

There is a solution to your desire to have a greenhouse. :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love the cross-eyed cat! I have never seen one do that. The lit up cats are eerily beautiful, too.

Escarole salad is wonderful. I use it in my salads in the winter and sometimes cook it quickly in olive oil and sprinkle it with a little vinegar for a warm green -- a trick I learned from Alice Waters, who definitely knows what she is doing with veggies. My picky DH eats it happily -- as happily as he eats any veggie. He has now learned that his body really needs veggies and manfully eats enough to keep from dying from scurvy or beri-beri.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So I have a question on greenhouses... DH Tony is very concerned about the glass not supporting the weight of the snow here or cracking (a valid concern as we have over a foot and a half of snow hanging on one of our metal roof edges, and our newly replaced picture window has cracked)...any thoughts? I know when I was a florist in Buffalo, NY, I worked for a shop that had two large glass greenhouses that never suffered damage while I was there, and these were old greenhouses... just curious if anyone in really snowy climates knows anything about this. Thanks in advance...

Brenda

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Check with the manufacturer to see what they say it can hold. In the meantime, I would remove some of the snow. Just my two cents worth.

All sorts of structures can give way under too much snow. I have seen a huge steel building out Island Park way that was utterly destroyed by snow. Up by Hebgen Lake the roofs have such dangerous accumulations it can be dangerous going in and out of a home that was left unheated until Christmas, because then massive sheets of snow and ice come crashing down as the roof warms. And by Henry's Lake last winter a large house trailer, single wide, had the roof completely collapse under snow, leaving the walls splatted outward.

Caution is a perfectly good idea.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Mulch... that sounds like good advice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images