the new greenhouse

Santa Fe, NM

I was kicked out of junior high chorus! So that tells you something. I play c.d.'s for my plants indoors because my parakeets are in to it. I favor Afro-Cuban and jazz piano. Outside in the summer all manner of music wafts through the air.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Most herbs like jazz.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My Queen Siam basil likes 'I'm a Little Tea Pot'. Too funky weird. The rest of the basils aren't persnickety. The herbs in the herb garden like 70s R&R. The thymes and feverfew like C&W (eeeww). The lovage is pouting about being moved around so won't respond to anything. I sang "Thank Heavens for Little Girls" in my best Maurice Chevellier voice to my new french tarragon when I put it in last summer. We shall see how 'Gigi' feels about it in the spring. Paj what does chervil like? (I will have paj's chervil this summer in the herb garden) Will it like 70s R&R?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That's weird dahlianut. I wonder if some of these preferences are geographical or if they are more culturally driven.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

ROFL!
Your French tarragon is named Gigi?
Hey, do any of your dahlias have names?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think it's very geographical, environmental and cultural. The neighbour across the lane cranks great 70s R&R in the summer and as he's close to the herb garden they do a lean toward it. They should lean straight south if they lean at all as leaning goes but they lean southeast. I think the thymes and feverfew are into C&W cuz they are in the Sante Fe Rockery and that bed gets my DHs C&W (eeew) through the screen. They definitely perk up when he has it on. I'm sure Gigi will be culturally driven. I better bone up on my french songs. 'Frera Jaqua' can get tiresome. Picante do you know any good easy french tunes? Goldie my dwarf forsythia is definitely environmentally driven. He almost died the first winter and when he came back I sang 'Happy Days are Here Again' and now that's his favorite.

Picante I usually use a shortened version of the hybrid name for my dahlis. Like Mango Sunset is 'Mango' but there are some with special names.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dahlia, there is a HOT French Canadian band called "Le Vent du Nord". If you like, d-mail me and I can e-mail you a sample tune that will have you and your tarragon dancing.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool. I've heard of them but I haven't heard their music yet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

In high school we were required to take 1 year of art and one year of music our freshman years, then choose one or the other for the next 3 years. The music teacher had us sing be-be bo-bo in unison as she went down the line listening to each person individually. When she did that she always told me not to sing any more. I was mortified, but she had a fantastic choir. I contributed by being silent for a year, then taking art for the next 3 years.
Then I made the mistake of joining a church choir and was reduced to tears ( in my 40s) by the choir director so I decided to stick with the cd player, too.
Don't know how one learns to sing, but apparently I missed out on it. Oh, I do sing in the privacy of my car, but not to my plants. I don't want to kill them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You don't have to be talented to be tuneful IMHO. I think the plants appreciate the bonding part of the singing too or at least I sure hope they do.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think its important to recognize what gifting you have and go with that - at least for public and professional application. In your own home make all the noise you want and be happy. And I think dahlianut is right that plants like happiness expressed.

Santa Fe, NM

Plants do prefer a happy environment. Pajarito, singing in the shower is fun, if you're by yourself!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

OK. I can't resist.

Singing in the shower is fun with someone else too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

True, dparsons, so true.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

snicker

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I love having a good rousing howl with Piper, but I can't seem to get her into the shower. She runs away.

Thumbnail by picante
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dogs are very good singers IMHO. Dogs seem to either totally luv or totally hate water. I helped de-skunk a malamut once. We had to tie him to the fence in order to restrain him for the rinsing part. I don't know whether he was more stressed about the skunkiness or the water.

Santa Fe, NM

O.K. very funny. Singing in the shower with someone else can be fun. Altho it can be hard to get the shampoo out of your hair if your shower is as small as mine. Depends on your intent. ( snicker. )

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.