misfits, throw-away's and blessings

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Seems like I have a knack for finding special pets..I have a tri- pod kitty, a duck with a serious deformed bill..and now...

The latest arrived yesterday afternoon. She is a 1-1/2 year old Chihuahua-Weenie Dog mix. She only has two back legs and is amazing. She has captivated the whole family. She walks like a person, sometimes she hops. She is a little dog with a big heart.

Meet "Bunny"

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello Bunny.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

You're a very lucky pup there Bunny to have found Lisa - she's got a heart of gold :)

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I agree, both of are very lucky. What an amazing little dog. I would love to see a picture of her "walking."

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Congratulations, Lisa. I have the same kind of household, and it's a wonderful thing :). Isn't it amazing that these FurKids called "Special Needs" turn out to be just plain "Special"? They have an uncanny wisdom.....

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Dea!

redchic, if you do a search for "Faith, the two-legged dog" (I did this last night) You will see how Bunny walks..they both walk alike.

Bunny has a very special story. She was born as she is.

Her owner is dying...very soon... He is wheel chair bound and loved Bunny very much. He took excellent care of her. His dying wish was to find Bunny a loving home. He was so worried about her being mistreated. They have been trying to find her a home for 2 months with no luck...they were told they should euthanize the dog..but the dog was fine and thriving...

I heard about her 2 days ago..I knew she would be mine! My most AWESOME and always patient husband agreed to take her in...

It was a very emotional meeting yesterday when I had to take Bunny away with us. It broke my heart..as a pet owner, I can share his grief. The elderly man will be going in a nursing home today. I promised him I would take Bunny to see him....I'll keep my word.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Now I am in tears. Thank you for taking her. I took my neighbor's Maine Coon Cat when he died and although I had misgivings about bringing a dominate male cat into my household with my own dominate male - things have worked out just fine and the two boys are buddies.

Lyndonville, NY

Lisa, I have always known what a loving and special peson you are. I know the weight you took off that dear mans shoulders. When Mom was so ill and passing, she needed the peace of knowing her bird, fish...and Uncle Fritz would be cared for.

Bunny is an Angel! What an awesome gift for all of you.

Yes, I have tears too!

Hugs,
Debbie

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

A double gift :). A wonderful home for Bunny, and peace for the man who loves her just as she is. What a relief it will be for him to know she is safe, and will be loved and cared for until they meet again at The Bridge....

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

JML, what a precious pup and what a bitter-sweet story. Thank you so much for sharing! I will be thinking of all of you and will wish Bunny's beloved owner a peaceful transition.

xoxo
w

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Lisa, this is why we love your family so much. :) Bunny is so fortunate to have you guys, so is her previous owner. (((hugs)))

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Lisa you are such a special person. I think you were that man's angel sent to him so he would know his Bunny would be cared for. I know they will enjoy their visits.

Such a wonderful story!
Susan
=^..^=

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

huge tears here.......i lurk more than anything lately, but sometimes i just have to write. you've made my whole holiday season a lot brighter. thank you.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Lurking here, too. Lisa, you are one awesome woman, and I just love you!!!!!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

What a wonderful gift you gave that man, Lisa. I hope you and Bunny have a long and happy relationship.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Lisa, your posting of Bunny made me think of one of our cats which we had to have put to sleep a few months ago due to a badly mangled rear left leg. At the time we made the decision, we thought it was a quality of life decision but after seeing Bunny, I wonder now, if we made a terrible mistake. But there is no going back now. Should anything like that happen, I'll think of Bunny and how he is thriving. Lee

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Bunny is so very healthy. Did you notice how shiny her coat is. Knowing how my chihuahua can walk and dance on her back legs,Bunny may not consider herself handicapped. LOL. You're a very special person Lisa.Hugs and love to both of you.
Lee, you did what you thought was best at the time, so it was the best thing for you to do. Please don't doubt your decision.
Vickie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Bless your heart Lisa, you are a great critter mommy!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Oh my, what a wonderful thing. Bunny's previous owner can rest knowing that Bunny will be forever cared for and loved. I've got huge tears too, for everyone that has either loved or been loved by Bunny. She's truly a special girl to touch so many lives as she has.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Lisa, that is such a wrenching story. It's great that bunny has you and that her prior person must be so much more at ease knowing that Bunny has went to a good family. I'm sure that the visits will be very appreciated. Thanks for the info leading to Faith. It just amazes me how these dogs more or less teach themselves to walk like that.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Here is a link to the video about the dog named Faith.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1110968/4058186

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wouldn't it be great to get Bunny and Faith together for some playtime? I bet they'd be instant buddies. :)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Kimberly,
I'm actually hoping that Bunny and Pinky Pye(my tri pod kitty) learn to be nub-buddies!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

How incredible! I just watched the video. Thank you for sharing Bunny with us. Please keep us updated on her. Bless you for adding her to your family. Have to go and wipe the tears.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

check out Dominic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPJJeISuXo

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I remember seeing Dominic. That really blew me away the first time I saw him running around like that. Still does!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

These kind of ending always renew my faith in man(womankind), lol...I also take in unwanted's..But pet owner's that have to give them up becauase of old age or illness, just about does me in.. It breaks my heart.. I guess I can see it happening to me down the road.. I worry about all my fu-babies.. From chickens, fish, dogs, goat, cats, and others.. I hope someone will be kind when that times come... Great deed Lisa...

Larkie

Lisa, bless your heart. You are so special to take Bunny in and give his owner some peace of mind. Lucky you and lucky Bunny.

I was thinking about you the other day when I saw it was snowing in LA. I still remember your unusual headwear. :)

Ripley, MS

It is surely a Christmas Miracle as the owner had been searching for 2 months.
What a wonderful story.
God Bless you and your family and all you misfit pets too.
Sandra

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

in case you just can't get enough of that sweet little face :)

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Lyndonville, NY

Lisa she really is just precious. I don't think she could be any cuter.

How is she settling in at your house?

Debbie

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Those big, fringed ears just tickle me. I bet they help her balance!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Debbie,
She is settling in just fine. She thinks all of our job is to adore and hold her for most of the day. :0)

GW, her tail is her best balance. She uses it like a tri-pod.

Shepherd, MT

There is a strap on little cart that they use for handicap animals that people use and it allows them to take there dogs out on walks or allows there animals to go outside in the yard , maybe one of these devices would work wonders for Bunny. she looks so sweet and deserves a loving home, just as any normal animal does

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've seen animals with those carts supporting their hind legs, but not their front ones. That's pretty cool. I know people make little slings that go beneath dogs' bellies to hold them up, too.

SO, Lisa, just how does Bunny do her business? She's old enough, I'm sure she has it down to a science however she does it. Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Scotts Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Here ya go:

http://www.eddieswheels.com/html/front_wheel_carts.html

This one has the wheels in the front, which is what you would want. Unfortunately, they arenít cheap. :(

Good luck,

~Marilee

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Kimberly,
I've house broken her in one day. The people who I got her from said she had so many accidents inside..we've not had but one, and I take the blame. I thought she needed out, but wasn't quite sure. She stand on her hind legs and does her thing. While doing #2 she just kinda hops around and leaves a tootsie roll trail :0). She has it down to a science..

Yesterday we experienced our first sleet storm. It sleeted over 2 inches and stuck. It looked like snow, but it was more fun. We bundled up, I tucked Bunny in my coat and we went sledding. She is getting so spoiled. I am on the look out for a baby carrying sling at the thrift stores. I think she would like to ride along with me in something like that.

Also, at night time she is so funny. She starts to jump on the bed, up and down, like a kid. She jumps with ease and gains momentum. she gets so excited. We all stand at the edge to make sure she doesn't fall off.

What a sweet little girl she is! She melts my heart.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2008 4:33 PM

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Marilee,
those carts look wonderful, but you are right, they are not cheap. What a clever inventor!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I wonder if there is any possibility of getting a used cart?

There are slings made for pets. I saw a Doxie riding on the front of his owner at a flea market once. He was having a great time.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I looked over the used cart section. I think Bunny would be hard to fit in a used one because she is so tiny. There were far more back end carts than front end carts. I did read that the front end carts are more of a challenge.

I'm not throwing the cart idea away by any means. I am thinking that might be down the road a bit. We still have lots of recovering to do ourselves with our move from Louisiana.

She is coping with her handicap for now, but I wonder what kind of pressure all that hoping will put on her joints. She is part weenie dog, so I know her back may give her trouble in the future.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.