Guess what tomorrow is!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The winter solstice. The shortest day of the year. After that the days lengthen, though it takes a few weeks for the temperatures to begin to rise, but this is the day the ancients celebrated as the first day of spring, They weather bureau for some unknown reason calls it the first day of winter -- how depressing! It is the return of the light.
Anyhow, suffice it to say, I am preparing my costume but will save the dancing for night fall. Hubby has agreed to photograph. My long johns aren't silk, but I found them, a major accomplishment.
When the time comes, paste you photos of your solstice revels here!

About the Solstice:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abq/features/WhatCausesTheSeasons/wintersolstice2008.php

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have to modify my prettiful outfit as it's just to cold to wear my festive red sation pj bottoms :( but there will be dancing ^_^ I'm going to dance in the sun ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm with you on the sun dahlianut.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You may have a point there, but my neighbors might see me if I dance in the sun! I have acquired a very elegant outfit.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A poem for you pajarito:

http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy Winter Solstice, everyone!!!! Let the dancing and merriment begin! I'll post pics of our party later on... hope you all have a lovely day!!!!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great poem Dparsons. I will post a picture later today. To heck with the neighbors. As Richard Feynman said, "What do you care what other people think?". Well, here goes.

Santa Fe, NM

Dparsons, I read the poem. It is my M.I.L.'s favorite and has been for many years. I found my Solstice mask, but it is a star, not the sun as I had misremembered. Oh well, it is quite festive anyway. I will not be doing much dancing indoors or out, except in a limited sort of way, as I fell down a step in the livingroom yesterday and twisted my ankle. Oww! I hadn't fallen since I was a child and am not sure why or how I managed this. It is fully carpeted, however, and I caught myself on my hands but the ankle twisted. Darn! I can walk and it is only a little swollen. Went to a meditation class today and also did some chi gong but could not do a tai chi form without stressing it. I talked to a doctor friend and he said not much could be done just to pay attention and rest the foot. Some friends came over and brought me a bottle of wine, tho! So, things will soon be looking up!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

OUCH roybird. Just don't deaden your pain too much. And this doesn't get you out of posting pictures.

Here are mine. I've got my Christmas elf hat on (I tell children it from when I worked for Santa), my red sweater, and green socks that you can't see. My dogs insisted on helping me dance.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Santa Fe, NM

Dparsons, great pictures. Cute dogs! I kind of like the yellow light. Reminds me of the returning sun.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Another one. With color corrected.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

This is kind of cool. Happy Solstice!

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice pics! I'm in recovery mode from too many corpse revivers! Will post some pics tomorrow. Roybird, I hope your ankle heals quickly, and dparsons, you and the dogs are doing a fine job of welcoming the longer days!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I just couldn't make myself go outside in this getup, so I danced in front of my indoor plants to welcome the longer days of spring. Last night was the longest night, today was the shortest day of this year. So I hula'd in the spring! And drank a little red wine. I think we will save our Corpse Revivors for New Years.
I want to hear the whole story of your party tomorrow, bsavage, though it may take a Corpse Revivor to wake you up!
Dparsons -- great outfit and adorable dogs. Roybird, incredible mask and drink. He he he! If anybody asks you don't know who that crazy woman in the grass skirt is you don't have a clue.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 10:52 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Glad your husband got you the hula skirt.

BTW, I tried your Corpse Reviver #2. Its very refreshing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

DH did not go to Hawaii for the hula skirt, needless to say, but he did drive me to the party shop in Santa fe where they have almost everything you need for a luau. Glad you liked the Corpse Reviver. I thought they were yummy! We will have them New Years' Eve.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dahlianut did you dance in the sun yesterday? Hope you put your longjohns on underneath whatever you were dancing in!

Santa Fe, NM

So that's where you got the hula skirt! Paja, you are just too cute! Come on now, more pictures, everybody.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dahlianut hasn't posted yet, and she instigated this. Perhaps she has a story...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Shes probably out in the yard frozen into an ice column. It is cold here - to say the least!
(somewhere around -20C)But the sun is shining!

This message was edited Dec 22, 2008 11:57 AM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So, here's a picture of our gathering... believe it or not we forgot about dancing (again... too many corpse revivers, LOL!)... but we had a great time, played some poker, ate & oh, yeah, drank (hic!). That's me in the purple blouse holding one of my dogs...

Welcome Spring!!!

Brenda

Thumbnail by bsavage
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Perhaps dahlianut had too many corpse revivers.

Santa Fe, NM

Brenda, we would've liked your party. My D.H. Loves playing poker! Nice picture. I'm a little worried about Dahlianut. That is some really cold weather up there.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, I'm wondering where she is too... I expected tales of reverie from her. Hope all is well...

Santa Fe, NM

Revelry. It's different. Altho she might be having some sort of reverie, too. Well, Calgary is a civilized place and if she needed any help there would be people around. One good thing about living in town. I hope she did not wear flannel to bed with the flannel sheets!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ooops, you're correct, Roybird! Revelry! Reverie is a vineyard in Napa Valley, among other things, LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
Your party looks like a great one! Everyone nice and mellow. Nice kitchen, too. Kitchen parties are the best!
Dahlianut may need a corpse reviver today!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I could phone her but probably she is out doing last minute shopping just like the rest of Calgary!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Besides, she might be still asleep! Nah, I bet she will turn up in her own good time.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think we should expand on the possible scenarios until she shows up and proves us wrong.

Maybe she was kidnapped by Druids and taken out into the forest.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nah I dont think so - the roads are so bad even the Druids wouldn't want to use them. Although of course maybe Druids have a different method of travel?

I think she is out shopping and the parking lots are so crowded you can spend hours going round in circles looking for a spot!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That is certainly more likely fancyvan, but not nearly as much fun as Druids.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

She had such a good time dancing yesterday and through the night that she is now asleep and trying to talk her aching muscles into getting out of bed. Besides in that temperature I am not sure I would get out of bed for any reason whatsoever until the days are a bit longer.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Maybe the Druids recognized her as one of their own and took her off to live with them at Stonehenge.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

But how do Druids travel? Im not up on that one but it sure sounds better than circling in the parking lot!Do they fly?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe she wore her Flannel PJs again and is stuck to the bed. Her husband got jealous of the Driuds and left home so he can't pull her loose.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think Driuds, good ones at least, have the ability to hover a couple inches above the ground - or snow in your case.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe the wormwood really does have halucinogenic properties. Dahlianut hasn't come back to reality yet.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nope. Can't be the wormwood. After much thought I believe you are right Pajarito. Dahlianut has gone back to England with the Druids, to the center of their world. There are 300 or so stone sites in England. Dahlia's statement about loving rocks has led her home. That and its warmer there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images