Guess what tomorrow is!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wish I could say that I've been having most excellent adventures but no I've been waylaid by malais and dropsy. I have officially postponed solistice until I'm better.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They'd have to hover more than a couple of inches above the ground ( snow) at the moment!

Les sorry to hear you are malaisey! Feel better soon!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Get better soon!

Santa Fe, NM

Sorry you're sick, Dahlia. But, lets go on making up adventures for her! Fancyvan, nice to meet you! Druid's feet are like snowshoes in the winter. Or the snow melts under their feet like good king what's-his-name. You know," All the snow just melted down, where the saint had tridden. " Dparsons, you know what I mean. Druids Rock! Paja, it was good that you appeased the volcano gods again this year. Way to go.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wenceslaus!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well it's such a 'happy' to see all the celebratory dancing!
Dparsons I SO did not know your were an elf. Do you have an 'in' with Santa? I only ask because I've been working really hard to be on the 'nice' list.... You're so lucky to have puppy dancing. The crazy ole cat just gives me 'the look' when I suggest dancing.
Roybird is a Sunbird. Cool and very magical. Stay off your feets especially while enjoying a refreshing beverage til you heal. Sorry about the owie.
Paj is a Solistice Hottie! ok I NEED that hat!! What is that luvly tree behind you in the pic?
Looks like the solstice came in with a gooder par-ty Bsavage. I agree kitchen parties are the best unless the Henkels are flying (oops)
Fancyvan um are there perchance any cookies left? ^_^ All, fancyvan has been making homemade cookies to while away the deep freeze... mmmmmmm. Glad to see you popping in again ^_^

Re: Druids: It's true the elements and other worldly things we made up don't affect them. Although our Rockies are mere newbies in the geological scheme of things, I think we have Druids. I feel their presence when I'm out scoping rocks high in the mountains. I believe in them. I hope they believe in me too.

ps I'm on the mend. I'm dropping less frequently. Soon there will be dancing...

This message was edited Dec 22, 2008 7:03 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not many cookies left Les- since I have not been g oing out much guess what I have been doing? But I am making more tomorrow probably. Wanna come and visit? Give me a call.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not visiting while I have dropsy. Don't know if it's catching and you don't want it. Hopefully I will be done with it by the end of the week and then mmmmmmmm cookies .

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dparsons surprised us all as an elf and with two adorable dogs -- what kind are they dParsons? You make a great elf.

Me? A solstice hottie? DH loved that one. Yes we are safe from volcanoes until next year's solstice. I guarantee it.

By the way, I, too believe there are Druids in the Rockies. There are stone circles in Wyoming, too -- called medicine wheels. There just aren't as many here as in England, probably because it is warmer there. They come to the new world for summer.

Glad you are dropping less frequently. We still need your help bringing in the light.

Yes, I agree that Roybird is a Sunbird. You know I saw a bunch of geese or ducks or something flying in a great big V from north to south just above the Rio Grande today. I have a feeling they had a nasty surprise somewhere and realized it was time to beat it down South quickly. They flew by just before our next snow storm started at 4:00 pm today.

It takes the weather a while to catch up with the day length it seems.

Get well soon dahlia. There will soon be gardening to be done -- like maybe some winter sowing now that the solstice has passed.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My poor little wildbirds are hanging tight in the evergreens Paj. It's bitterly cold and because I've had dropsy no warm baths. I believe that they are smart birds though. I always leave things empty on a regular basis to ensure they aren't born reliant on my feeders/baths. I will say though when I surfaced and looked out of my office today Bert the challenged Bluejay came out of the spruce tree to sqwack me a piece of his mind about the state of the empty feeder LOL. Too funny winter birds with issues.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dahlianut, being kidnapped by Druids is certainly more fun than being sick. So tell us about your adventures in England. Did they take you to the Avebury Stone Circle?

And, yes, I do have an "in" with Santa. He is a great guy. Anybody on my "nice" list is on his. It just works that way. :)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The dogs are Shitzus pajarito. They are an interesting breed. They seem to have gotten a double-dose regarding affection and pleasure seeking, and not much towards intelligence, hunting instinct, and other practical traits that are desirable. They are the most difficult dog to potty train. I inherited them. The previous owner did not potty train them, so they are outside dogs. Outside of that one issue, I like them and we have a good time together.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dparsons I've actually been with the Druids for the last few days but I was sworn to secrecy so I made up the dropsy story. We actually spent alot of time in the Canadian Rockies because there are enclaves here but we also went to England. But being sworn to secrecy I cannot say more. Sorry, if I tell you I will have to kill you. It's a Druid rule. ps I'm very happy about the Santa list thing (whew I needed an 'in')

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I didn't think the Druids were violent like that. You learn something new every day.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well they certainly aren't by nature dparons but having been driven into hiding if you get to hang with them you have to swear super secret oaths. I don't really think that they mean the 'kill ya' thing. Sorta their defense for bringing a rock to a gun fight in today's very sad world. ps HA! do they have cool rocks or what!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sheesh, I know I posted here (or tried to) about the very cute dparsons dogs, Roybirds cool mask, Dahlia feeling better, and pajarito's excellent outfit, but it's not here... probably got distracted and hit back instead of send... I have loved sharing this winter solstice with my new friends.... thanks for giving me a reason for a party and a yummy new cocktail! You all are a very fun group. Hi fancyvan, I'm kinda new here...

Brenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We are so hippy, hippy, happy to have you join in Brenda ^_^ Fancyvan is the founding member of the 'Fooly Grown' group which is a small sect of the most northern members in Cowtown. We call ourselves 'Foolys' for short. So glad you luved the solistice celebration. I will just be later than everyone. What else is knew? ^_^ ps speaking of late I wonder if there is solstice in a worm hole? Soferdig, hey good buddy have you dug out yet?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brenda Im not here much either although I guess I do qualify as a Rocky Mountin Gardener
So welcome to you too!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, this is the best Winter Solstice I have ever had. Maybe even the best Solstice -- though Summer Solstices are more wild and crazy, but I haven't attended one in about 40 years.
One way or the other it was a great event practiced individually up and down the chain of the Rockies.
Dahlia, I am not surprised that you can't tell us what Druids do. And I doubt seriously that there is an 00x section of Druids. They just wanted to scare us all into not hassling them and I do understand completely. I don't like to be hassled either and would make up a story to prevent it as well.
Happy second to longest night of the year all!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Druids like to sleep in and were nocturnal because in the old days the early bird never got the worm. Only after the formation of the "American Dream" did that foolishness start. They danced around fires all night and looked at sunrises through stone formations just before going to bed. The reason was to determine how to stop the sun rising so they could party longer. They never figured it out so civilized partying perished and the work ethic started. The Romans took over their land and made them get up early, and out of sheer horror of this lifestyle, they perished. Many think a few of them survived and moved to the North Pole and that is where one of the last Druids is trying to reestablish the nocturnal party life. This one who flies once a year delivering toys to the children of the Roman survivors hopes to keep the parents up all night to get even. Long live the Druid night people!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hear! Hear! Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man boring.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Exactamundo, long live the Druids and the Fairys. Twould be soooo boring without them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, by the way the tree in front of which I performed my volcano dance is my 40 year old jade tree. It is one tough tree because it hasn't always had the best of care. I put it out on my balcony in the summer and bring it in, in the winter. It is kind of like a relative. It is huge and heavy and hard to move in and out. I can't give it away because the whole thing weighs about 200 pounds. So I guess it is with me for life! It is rather pretty.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is very prettiful.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've not seen a Jade that big.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ooooh fairies - I have a couple of those in my garden although I let them come in the house for the winter - probably a tad cool here when you dont wear many clothes!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My summer fairys are hibernating in the garden shed. My winter fairys are out and about.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was practising my Reservoir Dance tonight (which is a form of River Dance but modified cuz I live by the reservoir). Just a sneak preview and because I wanted to show off my red satin pjs which I can't where outside now.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

After dance rehearsal I made an entry in my new journal 'Dahlianut's Mostly Bird Journal with Some Bee Thoughts'. ps I know it should have birds on the cover but I couldn't resist the fairys.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

I'm l.m.a.o. at an especially horrible version of "Oh Holy Night" on the radio. It is a show of really bad Christmas carols! I Like your p.j.'s and dancing shoes. My ankle/foot is much better and I could do an Arroyo Dance. Related to the River and Reservoir dance, of course.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nice PJ's and rug, roybird. Dahlianut, your red satin p.j.'s are fabulous.

Ok, everybody, my big news! I drove down to Peralta, NM, south of Albuquerque where I adopted an approximately 7 month old puppy, by the name of Raja. Keisha and Raja aren't the best of friends but there have been no hostilities. And Keisha very much enjoyed the ride in the car to pick up the new dog. I will post pictures tomorrow. She is a rescue dog from the Albuquerque pound and is as sweet as she can be. More tomorrow.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

They will be fast friends soon! Love the river/arroyo/reservoir dance feet!

Santa Fe, NM

I think my early New Year's Resolution is to Dance more!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great resolution roybird! Mine is and always has been 'never grow up' ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My new little dog Raja. I've decided not to tell her that Raja is a boy's name.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Awwwwwww look at that face and those cutieputootie droopy ears. She has very pretty colouring. Raja is a great name! (ps I have a boy's name too) Has Keesha given her a sniff and a sloppy dog kiss yet?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

What a sweet face!!! Raja is a boy's name? What does it mean? Love the new puppy!

Santa Fe, NM

Cute dog and a nice photo! Doesn't Raja mean "king" or something like that? Merry Christmas!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Whatch doin still here? Aren't you supposed to be a social butterfly tonight little bird? According to googleguy (who is often not as smart as he thinks he is IMHO) "The girl's name Raja r(a)-ja, also used as boy's name Raja, is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "hope". But I'm waiting for Paj to tell us the meaning too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Raj means King and I think Raja does as well. My Raja would make a perfect King -- all fun and games. I picked her out on the internet from her picture. I just fell in love at first site. But to make sure I wasn't being ridiculous, I went to two different animal shelters looking to see if I found one I liked better. I didn't.
She and Keisha haven't kissed yet -- that I could see, but when I came home from shopping today, Keisha was lying on her fluffy pillow -- which she only uses in the coldest part of winter due to her thick fur coat. Raja was sitting very erect and proud right next to her on the ground. We have two pillows but I get the feeling that Raja's metabolism is going at warp speed right now.
Raja didn't know about stairs and she followed DH up the stairs while I was at the gym. When I got home I asked where Raja was and DH said she was trapped upstairs by fear. He had tried to show her how to get down and she just wouldn't come down. Then I tried to show her how to get down and that didn't work either. Then Keisha came and sat at the bottom of the stairs and pretty soon Raja was halfway down the stairs and negotiating them very well. But she has a rule about stairs. When there are only 3 left you jump. Why waste time walking down them when flying is so much faster.
Then she ran over and looked Keisha in the eye and it was almost a kiss. I feel sure a real kiss will be coming soon.
I am so crazy about this dog.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.