Guess what tomorrow is!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh! I am delighted to know her name is a girls name! And no, I will be home tonight. We were invited to a farolito party in Santa Fe but decided to stay home. The farolitos are beautiful, but we just felt like staying in and warm. I begged off the party.
We are just going to enjoy our new pet.

Santa Fe, NM

Ha! I decided to stay home and watch the Narnia movie on t.v. We had some friends over earlier and got some great gifts and I pulled out the last of my very expensive and smooth Ron Falcapa rum. Hey, can you get that in Canada? You can't get it in the U.S. A friend brought me some from Guatemala. Anyway, I decided to stay here and take care of the woodstove tonight!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I shall just have to look for that roybird. Canadians are known as the people of refreshing beverages so I bet I can find it somewhere. Have we talked about 'caesaurs' and 'blueberry tea' yet? I adore rum. Paj that is so exciting. Already Keesha is teaching Raja dog ways. And Raja said thank you while still respecting Keesha's space because Keesha will have to give the first sloppy dog kiss I think according to dog ways. It's good Raja already understands the pecking order and looks to Keesha. I JUST KNEW this was going to be a wonderful thing. What a wonderful Christmas this will be at your house!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good for you roybird! That wood stove needs you! We will watch an Anthony Hopkins movie tonight. We really like him.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, Dahlia, it is all working out great and Keisha is warming up to this rambunctious new family member. Actually she never objected, but she is showing more spunk than I have seen in her in some time. Our vet was right. Raja is good for us and good for Keisha.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How many times in a row can I mis-spell 'Keisha' do you think? (oops, rolling eyes at myself)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooray! You know, when I moved in with now DH Tony, I had a cat and he had a cat... my cat thought she owned Tony's place when we "officially" moved in, gave Tony's "Rat Cat" a very hard time, and likewise, Rat Cat gave my "Luna" (short for lunatic) cat a very hard time... anywhoooo, the first time they both sat on the sofa with me was Christmastime. Got a picture, somewhere. Now they are buddies, along with 4 dogs.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2008 12:35 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
Your animal family sounds adorable. I would love to have such a menangerie -- only DH is allergic to cats -- very allergic.

Merry Christmas morning to you all!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Are you ready for some DANCING??!! ^_^ A little Chinook wind is making it perfect dancing weather.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Opening ceremonies with the symbolic dahlia stake

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

River Dance

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Fancy footwork

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I little... um free style ^_^

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My new interpretive dance 'The Emergence of the Bulbous Things"

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Look my sleeping bulbous things sent up a sign that they liked it!

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Big finish

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A few of my rocks were really excited and were calling out 'BRAVA!!'.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, dahlianut! What a performance. No wonder your bulbous things are happy! That was an outstanding performance -- especially the interpretive dance part. And thanks to your efforts and mine and roybirds and bsavages and dparsons, we will have spring once again. In fact the days are already getting short. The temperature is still lagging behind however. It is only 30.9 degrees F here at just after noon. But the sun is shining brilliantly and the stems and trunks of plants will know this and will send wake up messages to their roots.
Yahoo! Spring is here!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Look at those rocks! I can hear their applause.

Santa Fe, NM

I, too, say "Brava" and "Encore"!

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooooraaaaayyyyyy! Good job, DN! That is some excellent welcome spring dancing! Very fun!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am still catching my breath. The expression was beyond interpretation, the form flawless, the emotion now there is where I am in tears, the joy was so full of laughter the mother would be giggling. Awesome Dahlia! The sun anticipates your welcome.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great dance dahlianut! Your outfit was "fabby" as well. :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is a great article from today's NYTimes on Abysinthe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/fashion/04absinthe.html

They clearly don't think much of it, but it does dispel a few myths. I don't much like it either, but it is quite nice in the Corpse Reviver II.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for sharing that... what's wrong with brushed nickel fixtures, anyway? LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well that article really twigged some memories!
At some point when I was living in Europe I started to drink Pernod ( which is Absinthe) and although I really didnt like the taste of most alcohols ( and still dont to this day) I did like the pernod probably because I really really like licorice! And Pernod remained my drink of choice although it was not something easy to find . In those days I travelled a lot and so I bought myself a flask and carried my own. Well I havent drunk it for years now but a few minutes ago I went to check my wine shelf in the basement and there in the corner was the old flask - a nice black leather and ?stainless steel flask - and guess what - it still had Pernod in it!

Maybe I will have a drink this evening for old times sake!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When I was a freshman in college I attended Newcomb college of Tulane University. Now to totally peg my age, that was the year of the Cuban missile crisis. I had a very old and odd English prof who had been in Europe during the twenties and whose husband had passed away.
To be honest, I was so busy trying to keep my head above water in school I didn't pay much attention to the Cuban missile crisis and carried on my life as usual, but most of the people at the University were totally freaked out and were making plans for their final hours. . The odd old English teacher said she was going to go home that night and break out a very old bottle wormwood Pernod that she had saved from years before -- and drink it.
Later, over the Christmas break, a friend of mine was in the hospital for a leg broken in a car wreck and I saw the English teacher there. I never saw her again that I can recall. I often wondered if there was a connection between her hospital visit and the Pernod. I am sure I will never know.
I personally have tasted pastis many times and really don't care for it except in this one drink.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pernod and Pastis were developed after Absinthe was banned in France and it is my understanding that they do not contain wormwood ( which was the toxic ingredient in Absinthe) They all have a VERY high alcohol content! Ouzo is the Greek version.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I like licorice and will enjoy sipping it. The flavor is strong enough to make it a self-moderating drink.

Fancyvan, it looks like there is some copper color showing through on your fine ?stainless flask.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 2:21 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

By the way, Brenda, I don't know what is wrong with brushed nickel fixtures either. I think the author had a few attitude problems. But much of the info was worthwhile.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Brushed nickel is not considered as "fine" as other fixtures while still being marked as "fine." I like it because it is quite durable.

And yes, the author seemed to think abisinthe was quite "common." The biggest difference between fine and common is people's perceptions. I happen to think durable is a fine quality and like the brushed nickel for that reason.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think I even have an opinion on brushed nickel or would even recognize it, but I sure can recognize a snobby remark which is what that comment about brushed nickel was.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Snobby or not lets cool that particular thing please folks!

And did you know - winter solstice or not that today is the day with the latest sunrise of the entire year and now the sun will begin rising earlier each day. acording to our weather answer man.And that sunsets have been getting later since Dec 3. So we should now really notice that days are getting longer.

And dparsons not rust - just something that dropped onto the flask over the years it sat on that basement shelf and is now cleaned off!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooray!!! Longer days!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Ah, good on the flask fancyvan. Actually it looked like copper which is frequently used when plating metals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.