SOLVED: What is this?

Melbourne, FL

This came up MAYBE from a packet of wildflower seeds, or could just be a weed. I was hoping someone might have seen this before. Reminds me of Statice, but pretty sure there was no Statice in that mix.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

A weed I think. Rumex acetosella

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32317/

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It reminds me of something I know, but can't put a name to it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I still think it's one of the Rumex's but maybe not acetosella, but another species. There's gazillions of Rumex species.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Possibly Symphytum?

Pretty certain it's not a Rumex

Resin

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah, I continue to learn.

Melbourne, FL

I'll leave it a while......still hoping it may be a flower. Thanks.

Snapple, your link shows Comfrey, but your plant is not Comfrey.
Did you put up the wrong link?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Huh Huh. Resin identified it as a Symphytum, which is Comfrey. I was pointing out that as usual Resin was right on.

Melbourne, FL

Any chance this could be Foxglove? If so, I need it out before my animals eat it.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 4:58 PM

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

There's no worry. I can say that it is NOT Digitalis purpurea.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks.

Melbourne, FL

I know Resin is usually right, but I'm not convinced.....do Comfrey leaves have any particular odor when crushed?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

My first thought was comfrey when I saw it

Lander, WY

I've never noticed an odor, but the leaves are rough feeling. The plant spreads freely with even minimal care, sending out shoots; it grows big leaves and thick stems with smallish purple flowers in the summer if watered well.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=comfrey+flowers+images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I know Resin is usually right, but I'm not convinced...

Nor am I ;-) . . . that's why I said "Possibly" . . . it might be something else subtropical that I'm not familiar with

Resin

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Could it be an aster It reminds me of a small white flowered one that is found in the deep south of the USA.

Melbourne, FL

This one may have to wait for it to bloom.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what about a Gaillardia? it also looks suspiciously similar to a common weed here in florida. i have it everywhere but don't know the name.

It could be Centaurea americana, American Star Thistle, this plant is a bigger than yours, but looks a lot like it.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/192635/

Melbourne, FL

I grow Gaillardias, I know it is not one of those. Not the Star Thistle either, leaves not right and different texture and color. I'll make sure to come back with another pic when and if it blooms. Thanks for all the great efforts in trying to identify this one.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2008 8:05 AM

Melbourne, FL

This one has a bloom coming, so we should know for sure soon.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Pic taken today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

stoke's aster? can't wait to see.

Melbourne, FL

New pic taken today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

It looks like it is going to be a large cluster of small flowers.

Melbourne, FL

Updated pic of the bloom coming.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Houndstongue, Cynoglossum officinale or similar species.

Melbourne, FL

I'm very confused now. Just reading about Houndstongue and it says it lives a full year before blooming. This one came up during late summer and is about to bloom. Also says it is poisonous to animals. I think I am about to call this ID over and just rip it out for safety. For now I will cover it with something to keep the animals away.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Bretten, Germany

I agree with altagardener, looks like Houndstongue. Leaves seem to be smoothy?
I'm surprised to read, you want to rid them out? This would be too hard. There are so many plants in nature, which are poisonous. You never could eliminate them all. Enjoy their beauty and keep them in your attention....

Melbourne, FL

I would love to see it bloom, however it is in a backyard garden bed and I have dogs and cats that go out in the yard. I think I also read the leaves have a bad odor, but these do not. Still open to any ideas. Houndstongue can cause liver damage if eaten.

Anchorage, AK

I am new to this website & just saw your thread...

Please say you haven't yanked it yet! I think I might fall over with anticipation! I kept reading on waiting for the "oh so revealing" blooms to open. If mullein bloomed the first year I would say it looked similar.

(mullein pic. link) http://littlebangtheory.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/a-couple-of-images/

Of course it's not, so would you consider putting a cage over it so we can find out what this mystery plant is?
How sad am I? LOL!

Anchorage, AK

BTW I forgot to mention, a few years ago I had a mystery seedling in the middle of my sitting area. I had no idea what it was but it didn't look "too weedy" (much like this one "weed" is in the eye of the beholder) so I left it.
As it got bigger and bigger I was soooo close to ripping it out but I resisted.
It turned out to be a very pretty larkspur. I had never grown that variety so I didn't recognize it. I have had many many mystery seedlings that turned out to be great little gifts. Part of the joy of gardening is in the mystery, you never know what surprise will come next. :)

Of course I have also transplanted a very cute little aster seedling to a pot from a field next to my house & it took over the pot killing a gooseneck loosestrife which I didn't think was possible....hmmmm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

gardenpom, whether a plant is described as biennial or perennial is not, by itself, a strong criterion on which to base plant IDs. Some species that are biennial in warmer zones are long-lived perennials here. It's much better to go by the physical characteristics, which say to me that this plant is a cynoglossum, most likely Cynoglossum officinale.

Melbourne, FL

No, I have no yanked it, I did however put a small fence around it...just in case. I DO want to see what this flower looks' like. I'll keep updating this as it grows. Thanks everyone, I will check out the possibilities mentioned.

Melbourne, FL

For those waiting for this to bloom, here is a pic taken today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Oh! that is so pretty, I see some purple, but I still don't know what it is.

Melbourne, FL

Pic from today, another update.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

A little bit closer.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.