Making mountains out of molehills .

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Molehills into mountains ? Something like that , in any case I have been having a bit of fun playing in my sandbox . ( The bigger the kid , the bigger the sandbox required ) I love the shape of the newly reconfigured Mount Lonediver , Several different levels , sub peaks . Much more multi-dimensional .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

O. Where's my son's dirtbike?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Nice mountain! Are you going to plant a mini forest on it? Did you get a big toy for an early Christmas gift?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

About halfway up its slope in the draw where the upper plateau is , water will be piped in to give the appearance of a spring emerging from the mountain trickling down for the start of lonediver creek . The montain is 7 to 8 feet tall at its peak , probably some 50 + feet across at its widest/longest point . ( keep that dirt biker out of here , piano wire makes for nice dirt biker deterrent )

This message was edited Dec 24, 2008 2:02 PM

Thumbnail by lonediver

Ouch.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

When the backhoe was here started on several more ( 3 more ) mounds out in my cactus patch area . Was out carving/shaping on them this morning . ( Yes , MaryE , the dirt and backhoe work was a present from my wife , I must be very naughty . This is the 2nd year in a row I've gotten dirt for Christmas . ) Some of the shaping this morning on one of the smaller mounds , to be called Twin peaks , what do you think ? Almost 5 feet tall , the taller peak will probably settle down to 4 foot or so . Will be decorated further with rocks and plants .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another angle

Phoenix, AZ

I think you need a pond right smack in the middle of that 1st mountain ☺

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Forgot to insert pic , another angle on " twin peaks "

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hold on Fishie , patience now girl . There is more coming . One more shot , different angle of " Twin Peaks " the creosote bush was compliments of the backhoe driver . A transplant done with one of the scoops of his bucket . We will see if it survives the transplant .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

OK Fishie , allow me to introduce Mount Julie . ( My wifes name ) she suggested that I create this one in the shape of a volcano .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Now being in the shape of a volcano , ( the wife reminds me that volcanoes occassionaly erupt , so she now has an excuse ) I hollowed out the top center to resemble the caldera of a natural volcano

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It stands about 4 feet tall . I jammed the rake into the side to give a perspective of its dimensions .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

We were out there playing " wack - a - mole " with shovels to compact the dirt on its sides . The pic is a little blurry for some reason ( I never claimed to be a good photographer ) but you get the idea I am sure .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Also filled the " caldera " with water so the water seeping down through the center of the mound will harden the earth as it dries out . Also sprayed the outside of its sides throughly so as to create a hard shell to better keep its slopes in shape .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Now Fishie , eventually once I figure out how to line the interior of the " caldera " interior cone of the volcano . A permanent mountain/volcano lake/bird bath will be built on the inside . The desireable charecteristics for a bird bath are there .

In a open area with no high shrubbery close by so the birds will not be surprised by predators ( cats )

Elevated 4 to 5 feet . Will be very spacious allowing for small flocks if they desire .

It will be relative easy to pipe the interior for a drain for cleaning . Install a small solar pump to create a spray to circulate the water for cleanliness as well as moving water is a better attractant of birds .

So how do you like mount/lake Julie , Fishie ?

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm , Now what to do with this lump of dirt ?

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

And what do I name it ? Any suggestions ? Seems I have taken on a new trade , Lonediver - mountain builder .

This message was edited Dec 24, 2008 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by lonediver

Lonediver's Earthen Wonder!

Phoenix, AZ

Hmmmm, mountain builder.
Best you make sure the mountain is just where you want it to be or you could become a reluctant "mountain mover".

Awesome work, awesome vision, Doug.

Phoenix, AZ

That will be great! I had a couple of solar fountains....hmmmmm....where did I put them?

Tucson, AZ

wow! someone is having way too much fun. LOL did i miss something? so you're really building a mountain range?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Does'nt everybody ? Alma , where are you girl ? These people seem to be in disbelief that I am serious !

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Again you make me look sane. Every time I see Lonediver, I say "Honey, come see what Lonediver is doing this time". That lets me off the hook when I am moving the house 3 feet North or whatever my new brain storm is at that minute. Merry Christmas everyone in Arizona and Southwest. We are suppose to get snow again late tonight. I will be running all over the neighborhood shaking the snow off the Sumacs. Actually neighbors have joined me after they saw what happened last week. Can you believe snow in Las Vegas two weeks in a row.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Grunt , oomph , AArrgh ! It was a struggle but I strived to the top of Mount Lonediver to renew its red ribbon , bow . Planted at the top peak .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Backside of the mount looking down the creek channel .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Have raked the sides of the new lake basin .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Different angle of the basin .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

From the floor of lake basin looking toward the mount some 225 feet away .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This pile of dirt on one side of the creekbed about halfway down the length is to be one of the abuttments formed for the to be bridge crossing .

Just having fun playin' in the sandbox .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

And what a nice sandbox it is!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This brings to mind 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. LoneDiver you will have to come join us in the Rocky Mountain Forum. Our first member from the LoneDiver chain is a very exciting event.

Here ya go. I started you off ^_^ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935858/

This message was edited Dec 26, 2008 6:09 PM

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Seems that there has been a lot of seimic activity around the world lately . Here is no exception .
If you look at the picture at Post #5930220 above all that bare expanse erupted here suddenly and the lonediver mountain range has greatly expanded . Where previously it occupied an area of 35 - 40 feet diameter at its base it is now 120 - 125 long .

Here is a pic of the wife standing in front of the old lonediver mountain peak ;

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A shot taken from the backside of looking downsream at recent siesmic activity .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Taken from downstream looking toward the old peak .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The wife standing on top of the east end at an elevation of about 10 -11 feet .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Me standing in the center of recent siesmic activity where I project the new peak will be located , elevation of probably 14 -15 feet .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

From the top we can see over towards the owl habitat clearly ( BTW , we had/have 7 baby owls in residence at this time , they will be trying out thier wings shortly ) Can overlook almost all the property on top .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I see where Fishie was saying she needed a shoehorn to put in any more plants , well Fishie when you put in a bunch of diagonal surfaces you increase surface area by some 50% giving yourself more area to plant on . It is fun carving on this hunk of dirt creating pockets and ledges for future plantings . This new expanded mountain is now big enough to bury a small house . I really should have built a cave into it . Maybe next time .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is/will be large enough that it will have several intersecting trails .

Thumbnail by lonediver

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.