Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

that's a beauty of a photo

why thanks. That was from my home office window in 2008. The first time I had ever seen these guys. They stayed for about a week the first week in May. Same thing this year. I was hoping they'd stop on their way back south!

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes they like large area of grassland mixed with woodland - I used to have they come to birdfeeders regularly then they developed whatever left of the wilderness in the neighborhood so they have become uncommon/rare migrantary sights for me now.

Millersville, MD

Wow, I thought I had a great picture of this bird until I saw yours, puts mine to shame. Thanks for sharing it.

Aww. Thanks! Still happy to get these for about two weeks in the spring!

Morris, MN

We have several pairs of them stay all summer every year, and enjoy watching them eat sunflower seeds. My grnadson calls them "bloody penquins"!

ewww! Ha. leave it to kids!

Glad you see them all summer.

Mc Caysville, GA

Nicely photographed. A very well focused shot and a good representation of this species. We have had a myriad of birds in our yard over the last 25 yrs. but in all those yrs. we only saw the grosbeaks one summer at our feeders. They came in by the hundreds and spent about a week at our feeders. What a site they are and I only regret we have not had a repeat performance since in our home state Georgia. Good job and thanks for sharing this well made photo.

Wow, in the hundreds. What a site that must have been. I get a few of them for a couple weeks in the spring and then they move on to nest elsewhere I guess. Fortunately, they love water and I have a pond and stream to draw them in. Thanks for the good words!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.