LoneDiver Mountain Chain

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is very exciting. We have a new mountain chain ^_^ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935044/

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello dahlianut ,

Well you take the above thread you posted ( 1 + )

and add it to this thread ( 1 ) ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931989/

Equals ( = ) a John Denver song , surely you know the one ;

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH !

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LMBO ^_^ Now of course I need a small rock from the LoneDiver chain to add to my collection. I have made a note in the Great Book of Lists.

Santa Fe, NM

Nice Earthwork, Lonediver! Always good to see how you all are occupying your time down there. We have so much cold and snow right now we can only make avalanches in our yards. You need little figurines! So do I. You could make a movie!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It has been a bit of fun . My parcel of 4 acres is reclaimed farmland . if you were to go through some of my past threads I am trying to create a bird/wildlife habitat . When we moved in I think that one could have counted all the existing plants on the property on ones fingers and toes ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/844911/

A little different today , plantings are focused on native plants particularly those that are heavy seed bearers or bear something of fruits so as to provide natural feed that draw and sustain native creatures . Thus far I have a population of owls and have and continue to attract others as I go . Some would probably regard that I am a bit of an extremist . Here is a bird perch I recently installed ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/913734/

It has succeeded as intended , It has drawn various raptors to my property . They enjoy high , stark perches from which to survey an area . If I can get the creek/pond operational I hope within two years that should double the bird population and varieties . The trees will be more mature ( some 170 planted ) providing better nesting , quite a number of grass beds ( 40 to 50 beds ) . lost count of shrubs but quite a number . The yard has kind of zones . One I call my riparian area which follows along the to be creek bed , a desert cactus area , the burrowing owl habitat . There will be an enclosed vegetable garden . Hopefully all will get reasonably done before I die ( we all know a garde is never finished , always a work in progress ) Hopefuuly the raw scars of the dirt work will be covered have been blended in within two years or so . .

Keeps me busy .

Santa Fe, NM

Lonediver, I will check out your links. I know that the pond will attract birds like nothing else will! I've seen it here, too. Will you have one of those solar bubble pumps?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

On what will be the larger pond I will have to run an electric line out to it . A PITA but necessary . From the larger pond to mount lonediver is some 225 feet . Water will be piped from the larger pond to the interior of the mountain to emerge as a spring from the mountainside about halfway up . A waterfall coming in to the head of the creek waterway . The creek bed is roughed out , having put a small oxbow in the creek bed , two smaller ponds along its length before ending at the bottom in the largest . A covered footbridge will be built about halfway down the length of the creek . It would be quite an obstacle to get around when doing maintenence in the yard without a bridge . It will create a nice bit of decor as well .

I do not know of a solar pump that would handle what I would likely want to handle piping water that kind of distance but a bubbler/aeration will be installed , yes . The creek bed will have to be plastic lined which in turn will be covered with dirt/rock/gravel which should provide for a lot of "riffles " . A pond does attract a lot of birds but moving , splashing water maximizes the attraction .

Santa Fe, NM

I'm thinking of the bubble aerator. I saw your links. Love what you're doing. Yes, the birds like the splashing water. I wonder if the little birds will be food for the raptors, especially hawks. I have had small hawks in the yard and they do enjoy the bird feeders but not for seeds! The thing is that the hawks do seem to come and go so it isn't an everyday event. Where is Maricopa? I grew up in Maricopa County, but don't recall a town by that name. Of course, there are Many towns in Arizona that didn't exist 40 years ago!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Maricopa is an old farming/ranching/railroadstop . there is still a HUGE overhead water tank located downtown . It is actually located in Pinal county Out on Hwy 347 , I live out a ways nearer to the junction of Hwys 84 and 347 ,close to the town of Stanfield . We do not even have piped water here . I have to truck/trailer my water in at present though we likely will have piped water in 2 to 3 years .

Yes the hawks will predate on some of the small birds but this is nature . I have tried to provide lots of cover and spacing things such as the large dead tree/bird perch from feeding areas . Another link you might enjoy would be ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803956/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/806679/

Santa Fe, NM

I went to your links, thanks. Last night on the news there was a brief mention of Maricopa. I think a silo blew up or caught fire. Both? Hope you are o.k.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Lonediver I just found your threads, Very very interesting. Our zones are somewhat different as I am in zone 6. I think the natural rainfall must be about the same, here it is including snow, about 7 or 8" of rain. I have lived in this area my whole long life of 82 years. My husband and I had 80 acres of apple orchard. After he died some 15 years ago, I sold the house, we had already sold the orchard. I b ought 5 1/2 acres of sagebrush and grass, so my land looked about like yours as I saw in your links. I too planted trees the first thing actually even before my house was put in place.I planted more than120 varieties of trees, lost about 15 or 20 of those for one reason or another. ''

I too have planted quite a few different grasses and as you mentioned Ravenna grass grows tall. I too have transpalnted dead trees for the birds. I depend on well water for irrigating, mostly soaker hoses or drip type .

I had never heard of or seen an Aeolian Harp, would love to have one for my yard.

Here is a picture of my about 200 feet of windbreak trees. A lot of wind here. The windbreak is planted on the north hillside about 30 feet of so from the house. About 2 1/2 acres of the yard is enclosed with solid redwood fence to keep the many deer out.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images