An Unproductive Day

Santa Fe, NM

You won't believe the kind of day I've been having. One step forward, two steps backward. Went to class this morning. Cancelled. Came home. Missed phone message from a friend in town briefly who wanted to drop by. Called her, left message. Went to store which did not have what I wanted. Bought nothing. While there, noticed my display of greeting cards had been moved Again from terrible spot behind carts to even worse spot in far, dark corner. The joy of wholesale. Came home. Missed another message from same friend who had lost my cell phone number. Called her back but she was already out of town. O.K. New toaster oven burned my toast. Ate lunch. Decided to go to library to find specific book. Traffic awful but did get parking place at library! (small miracle.) Library didn't have book. Inter-Library Loan program closed 'til January 3rd. Found alternative book, tried to check out but discovered I had 2 Way Past Due books out and couldn't check out anymore 'til i brought them back. Which is only right. Went home again through bad traffic. Found books under bed! Yeah! But, now must go through the whole thing again ( Traffic and parking ) to return books because library is closed tomorrow until January 3rd and I already feel bad about not getting books back. Argh! Do you all ever have days like this or is it just me?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It sounds like reclining with chocolate and a refreshing beverage is definitely in order roybird. That is too disappointing to miss your friend. I too have days like that. When it happens, I try to do something special just for me the very next day.

Santa Fe, NM

Dahlia, you are so right. I took the books back and am now sitting with a cup of green tea and just ate a chocolate! ha! The librarian said I could've just dropped the books in the overnight thing but I told him I had to take them to the desk in case he wanted to scold me. But, he didn't!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, we all have days like that, Roybird. Glad you are relaxing now and guilt free. Just a thought, I put my cell phone number on our home phone voice mail outgoing message in case anyone needs to reach me right away. Enjoy that chocolate!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I no longer have a cell phone. Apparently it was 'analog' (whatever that is) and they no longer service that. O well I only carried it because DH wanted me to in case I was being murdered. I never understood that. "Hold that thought Mr. Murderer while I call 911". ??? Actually it's a story of country boy meets city girl and I think it's very luvly that he worries so.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That is a frustrating day roybird. I've certainly had them too. Nothing that you want to do seems to be what the Universe is up to that day. At least you got the library books back. A cup of green tea sounds quite good. I think I'll have some too.

Dahlianut, I'm sure your sweetie does worry about you. Anybody that can dance like you is quite a catch.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

awwwwww blush (scuffle a boot in the snow) that is very sweet of you to say so dparons. My true luv says that I make him 'weary' (which is very true sigh) BUT he also says that he never thought he would see birds, bees and bugs the way he does now and although he calls sedum 'Autumn Joy' the 'Cauliflower Plant', he turns compost and digs out grass like a trooper. He always asks 'What are you planning now?" (probably out of fear) but listens to my garden dreams and schemes and is VERY understanding about my disasters (plentiful). I always get very reflective at the turn of the year. I believe in counting blessings and never taking love and laughter for granted.

Santa Fe, NM

And keep track of your library books.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Giggle. So true roybird.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

True confessions: I had a library book I lost for 3 years.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG you're wanted by the library police! RUN DPARSONS RUN! We will lie through our teeth to protect you and yours. "I know nothing. No I've never seen that man in my life" Just practising cuz the library police are known for torture so I want to get my story straight. Dparsons if it's possible please send us messages from your fugative life. I miss you dpasons already :( Crappola another good friend hunted and forced into hiding by the library police. Good thing I know some super heroes.....

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I feel for your day of pressure and pain. Though it was a day off work, you had friends to call you, money to spend, burnt toast is good for your detox process of body chemicals, a chance to have a library who is full of books save those under the beds of many, oh yes and you have the blessing of a new year waiting to spring into the next garden design you begin this winter.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Soferdig I don't think its a good thing to digress when the fam is visiting. Huh??? I am very understanding o ye of the cool snow people but still worried about fugative dparons.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks all, but the library has it back. I've done my penance and, while I'm a little shorter now, I'm a free man.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YAA!! Dparsons is free! Whew! Good to know. Library police torture is brutal. Been there/done that.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was trying to make light of the darkness, you who do not return to library do, to those of us who are trying to get inter-library books sent. But if penance has been made I can only as a member of society accept the person so involved. I haven't been to a library due to the accumulation of used book store purchases. I have over 15 books to read just from the last used book store. I have been to over 10 of my favorite book stores this year. I guess I will have to start a Daves Site on this topic.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luv my used book store AND they have 99 cent and $10 bag sales too! They are right across from 'The Wild Bird' store although I only allow myself to go the wild bird store once a month.

Santa Fe, NM

I have to control myself with books even more than with plants! Every so often I have a garage sale to make room for more of both. But what you all don't know (but you soon will) is that my D.H. is a librarian! ( Don't worry, Dparsons, your secret is safe with me. ) For 25 years D.H. worked at the New Mexico Supreme Court Law Library. But, don't worry, he is not a lawyer. Just a librarian. Take a deep breath. But, he would get mad when certain lawyers took out books and kept them way too long. The thing was that other people wanted the books. He was known to make House Calls if he wanted a book back! He would also show up at offices. l.o.l.! He was one serious librarian. New Mexico is a poor state and the book budget was tight. So he claimed. Actually, I think he just liked to get out of the office!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG roybird is married to a member of library police (searching frantically under all beds to be sure I'm legit). Seriously one of my fav jobs was working at the library when I was seedling.

Santa Fe, NM

Funny, but I worked in the library in high school for some reason. Probably instead of doing something else, knowing me. I liked it, too.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I just loved being in the library when I was a kid... went everyday after school. Ours was really old, with stained glass windows and huge dark woodwork, the smell of old books, giant tables and windowseats... it was fantastic, really!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luved the old library when I was a sprout. It was a big old house. Then they built a new fancydancy one when I was a seedling. Just not the same. Didn't even have the book smell. O well it had room for way more books so it was a good thing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, roybird, I only had one bad event but it is still going on. On Sunday night I noticed water running out of our radiant hot water heater onto the garage floor. I opened the closet where the heater lives with the water heater and discovered lots and lots of water! I called the plumber the next morning, the one I usually use. He didn't arrive until like 4:00 in the afternoon, looked at the furnace, said it was shot and was installed wrong in the first place and would have to be replaced and re-piped. Just the furnace would cost $6500. I wasn't there -- I was at the gym trying to deal with my triglycerides through exercise. The plumber asked my husband what he should do. He offered to put in a space heater hooked to our stove gas pipe, but DH knew that would produce carbon monoxide and said we would call back. I called back that night and early the next morning. He repeated the same thing to me and I said I would call him if I needed him. I tried 3 other plumbers with varying degrees of failure, then I found one who said he would come that day. ( The first plumber said he would have to order the new furnace from the factory and that it wouldn't arrive until Jan. 5 or 6. The new plumber confirmed that the furnace was shot and we agreed on a price. He ordered it and got it here this morning and has put it in the right place, but has to wait until Friday for the rest of the parts to come in. In the meanwhile he lent us two electric heaters to keep us at least a little warm, but believe me, this has been stressful.
I, too, have an overdue book at the library which I have received two reminders of. Only I haven't finished it. Maybe I will just return it and buy a copy.
Also, I couldn't find the chest strap for my heart monitor that I wear while exercising. So I ordered another. they used to be $20. Now they are $50. And yes, two days later I found the old one. Sigh.
And other equally mundane stuff that has been a pain. I, too, need a hot chocolate and to curl up with a book. Maybe I can finish it before the library reopens. We spend a lot of time under blankets nowadays.
My Happy New Year will begin the day we have heat again!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O dear paj that is indeed bad news. We had a scare earlier this winter and have decided that furnace replacement will occur next summer. Not AT ALL the same as having no heat. Snuggle in. Sending warm thoughts.

Santa Fe, NM

You have no heat? Betty, can you go over to a friends' house or your m.i.l.? You can come here altho it might be a bit of a zoo. We do have heat and a spare bedroom. Plus we are making gumbo! You know, I think there are days when things really go wrong and days that are irritating by way of being unproductive. That sounds like both! Of course, situations with plumbers often are of that nature.

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Can I share my bad day? My family just returned from seeing both our mothers (one is 86, the other 87). I noticed a low-pitched hum in the rear of the van and mentioned it to DH. We took it in to the shop today (DH thought it was the muffler). It was the wheel bearing...$624. (I know, Paja, cheap compared to your heating dilemma--expensive compared to a muffler, though).

I enjoy watching the wild birds out the kitchen window so much that the huge bill for feeding them is tolerable, right? Well, since our return I have not seen our flickers, any of the types of doves...not even the sparrows have been here. This morning I was beside myself because of the absence even when the feeders are all filled and waiting (paid the neighbor boy to fill them while we were gone--he did it faithfully). Looked out the french doors to find a HAWK about 10' from the doorway, perched on our deck railing! YIKES! I wonder how many of our feathered friends he has munched on? (Going to have to talk to the wild bird folks for help on ridding ourselves of a hawk).

There was a bit of lousy news I cannot share here, too. I hope my family members learn from their mistakes.

We are warm, the library police have left us alone since youngest returned books to the college library (an aside: I have discovered how much I enjoy books on tape when trimming clematis vines). Now, to figure out how to discourage that dad-blamed hawk!!!

Hang in there....

Santa Fe, NM

That is the kind of day that makes you want a normal unproductive day!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The college library ... now they have some leverage. I remember people searching frantically for books so that they could graduate.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the offer of the warm house, roybird. I would take you up on it, but we are surprisingly comfortable thanks to the electric heaters the new plumber lent us. At night we put on lots of blankets and sleep very comfortably. During the day we dress warmly, but luckily it has been sunny here lately and our house gets a lot of solar gain.
We went to a New Years Eve party for a friend who is going to work in Vienna for 3 years. She comes form a traditional Hispanic family and we had roasted goat an lamb with green and/or red chile, chips and salsa, a salad full of avocado and both corn and flour tortillas. And we had natillas and a going away cake for desert. I decided this was not a good day to be a vegan, so I ate and ate and ate. Then we all sang sad Spanish songs and Louie Louie and La Bamba and Norwegian wood. We were home by 10:45 and just heard the New Years horns go off. It is nice to be here.
Sorry we missed your gumbo roybird, I bet it was great. You and your husband are such incredible cooks!
We still didn't drink our corpse revivors, but I bet we will tomorrow night. And we will have black-eyed peas and cabbage tomorrow. And we will enjoy a quiet day and hope nothing goes wrong! Certainly nothing as important as a dead furnace.
Sorry, mtnmama for your wheel bearing problem and even more for your family problem. Every family has some of those. I am sure there isn't one of us who hasn't gone through something similar to whatever you are going through. We will hope with you that your family member makes better choices next time and will learn from his/her experience this time.
Happy New Year all!
Rocky Mountain Forum rocks!

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Yeah...college libraries wield power!

Sounds like you had a wonderful ending to the old year, Paja. You've become a vegan?

Roybird, I hope 2009 proves to be productive...every day!

Santa Fe, NM

Thank you, mtnmama! And to become more productive, I intend to take a class in February on Photoshop Elements which I have been trying to learn on my own for the past month. I want to get comfortable with this before going on to Big Photoshop, etc. I have spared you all the joy of my computering situations. Sofer, if you Really Want to hear some Hissy-Fit Whine and Fuss you should hear me with the 'puter! Happily, it can't talk back. Paja, glad to know that you are o.k. Thanks for letting me know this morning. Here are my resolutions: Dance More!, Drink more water!

Santa Fe, NM

OOps! Just found out we are having 4 people coming over for dinner and they are bringing a banana cream pie. We are playing Cajun music. Gotta go dance and be productive!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hoping you all have a lovely day today, Happy New Year!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, mtnmama, I have become a vegan. Well, most of the time. I got a new doctor who is much more alert to symptoms of impending heart disease and diabetes and I was heading for both. She didn't tell me to become a vegan -- just to eat healthier. Then I read a book called The China Study which basically says we should not be eating any animal products for optimal health. Lots of scientific research behind it. I recommend it.
That said, I still go off the diet for special occasions like birthdays and holidays and in this case some terrific locally grown and roasted goat and lamb.
So far, I actually enjoy the vegan diet. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains and legumes. I have already improved my cholesterol and my blood sugar and lost 20 lbs. But my triglycerides have gone up, so now in addition to the vegan diet I have started a serious workout program. I am healthier than in a long time, but need to lose some more weight. I have that shape that promotes diabetes -- the apple and high triglycerides are a sign of future diabetes.
Time for me to shape up -- not for vanity but for health!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Don't forget the vitally important chocolate food group paj.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I could never do it (vegan) because I love variety in flavor. I cannot imagine the loss of carnivorous foods to the diet. Especially fish I LOVE FISH!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here! Here! I have sooo much admiration for those who are conscientious about their diet but I'm a foodwallower. I luv it all. I deny myself nothing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, you might be surprised at how yummy vegan food can be. And -- by the way -- chocolate is a vegetable and totally vegan. Still, I don't advertise that I am a vegan. I do go off my diet for special treats like home grown and roasted lamb and cabrito, but I am actually quite happy as a vegan and am much healthier than I was 6 months ago.
I did have to spend a lot of time exploring vegan cooking. Luckily I love cooking and I love new food experiences -- lots of people don't like either one. So veganism isn't for everyone -- at least in this society.
In traditional Asian cultures, there are many vegetarians and even vegans and their health is far better than those who eat a western diet.
I totally sympathize with those of you who are happy the way you are. I was too until I began to develop certain unhealthy symptoms.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I just eat less meat and don't feel the need to have meat every day. Red beans and rice is appetizing too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think part of the health problems come from the way we raise and/or grow our food. Its not just the meat: its the hormones, antibiotics, and rich diet we feed the animals and the conditions they live in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images