Longears online

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

This here's a thread for the slightly addled, bit bemused, and delightfully whacked lovers of longears. Post yer pitchers, and bray about your... eh, eh, eh.... donkey or mule. LOL Tell everyone what you've got, what you're up to, or longears you have loved (or hated) in the past.

We got our Hannah donk out yesterday and did a little ground driving, just to get back on track with our goal of getting these guys to do some work around here. She seemed glad of the attention and the stroll around the pasture.

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Here's another of SO and Hannah. Hannah has a little more experience than the DP.

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

that is the ears I want :-P

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Well, DD, mules come with different length ears, so just take your tape measure with you and maybe someday you'll find the ears of your dreams...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is Earl. He is a gaited mule that belongs to my friend, Terry.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Earl is the perfect name for him!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My friends Kenny and Darriel with Darriel's 2 mules, Speck and John R.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I can guess which one is Speck!

Okay, the two BIG guys from the Christmas parade....

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Same parade - like I said, we got lotsa of these guys around here:

A pretty pair of grays...

Thumbnail by Pagancat

And I thought this cinnamon guy was pretty, too.

I have a friend whose dad owns a Belgian cross - she is a little lighter in coloration and HUGE....

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Judging from the size of his chest, I'd say your cinnamon guy is also a Belgian mule... just not as huge, maybe?

Tennessee is known for it's mules, and I can sure see why. Nice mules and nice turnouts. =0)

Thanks for showing us. I sure love those big draft mules... {{sigh}}

They are amazing. And so calm, it makes them a pleasure to be around.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Here's the promised pic of my great white guy, Levi.
He's about 12 years old, 14 HH, and has over 500 miles of trail riding under his girth, not to mention parades, gymkhanas, and plain ol' goofing around.

This is before I brushed him, so his head is still up. Once I start to brush him, he puts his head down and just goes to his happy place... LOL

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

And here we are, after a short session with the forecart.

Thumbnail by Jayryunen

Do ear position mean the same thing with them as they do hosses?

He's so pretty. I don't think I've ever seen a creamy white like that.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

More or less, but donks don't put their ears up much, not being nearly as nervous. So mostly their ears are at half mast or listening back. To get that one ear up, my partner had to jump up and down and hit the shed. LOL

Both ears up tends to mean... I'm going to stop now, as I have to take a good hard look at something. LOL

".... and you'd best be ready."

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

On donks, you're always ready.

With horses, one of the first things and last things is 'whoa'. With donks, it's 'go... pleeeeease.' LOL Whoa is not a problem, it's their best speed.

Movin' towards a more leisurely mindset...
Jay

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

PC said I oughta post this for yer general edikashun...

Just before that picture of my jack hitched to the cart, Levi ran away with me, just headed flat out for the barn. He started heading that way at the walk (barn sour), I tried to turn him the way I wanted to go, he took the bit in his teeth and went his way, I tried tapping him on the side to turn him, he started trotting, I started trying to stop him, he trotted faster, the cart started to rattle and shake, he didn't like being chased by the noisy monster and broke into a run, I'm standing up and hauling back and he's heading right for the gate, bucking and running. One part of my mind is occupied with what cute little bucks he does (little crowhoppy sorts), one can see the crash coming. I manage to veer him off to one side, he heads right for a tractor seat laying on the ground, runs over it and stops.

Ten acres and he hits the tractor seat.

The nice thing about a donk is when it's over, it's over. He just stood there, kind of dazed but calm. I rubbed his ears while he caught his breath and then I drove him around the pasture again and he was perfect. Scared straight, I think. LOL

I don't even know what phrase covers that! Where angels fear to tread...?

Certainly not what the plan was, that's for sure. But what cute little bucks. =0)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a fault a have with mules. They can be very hard mouthed and harder headed.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Now you know where they get it from... their daddy!
LOL

Donkeys are not hard mouthed... they're just willful. Levi can be very light when he's of a mind. And he also knows how to take the bit and flat ignore me.

Donkeys are wise to bits from the git-go. First time I put a snaffle in Shenanigans mouth, he popped his jaw open. Takes a horse months and hard hands to learn that.

Donkeys have a very different reaction to pressure and pain. Makes things interesting...

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

So...mare ears don't count eh?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You lost me on that one...
%-

Yeah - here's my long ears, lol!

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Ah. Mares have big ears. When they're extra big we call em mare ears. If it's on a gelding, I guess it's not worth noting? and no stallions have big ears-not in the arab world anyway.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 4:57 PM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is quite a set of lobes!

Oooh I'll have to keep it down or DH will wonder just WHAT we are talking about! ;)

nice ears!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Nope, sorry. I think y'all been runnin' with that chicken bunch who are all confused about what they have. Those are puny little ears. And they probably neigh just fine... REAL longears don't neigh.

Next thing you know, some LLAMA will want in. And all my guys will leave... they don't think they like llama's!

LOL

Llama's got lil ears!!! No biznez here!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh, but some people thing they have BIG ears.

Bunch a wannabees.

LOL =0)

Now, don't hurt Sassy's feelings... she very proud of her ears.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I think her ears are cute. lol. Unusual but cute.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

They are VERY nice ears, but they are horse ears. I'm very sorry Sassy, I'm sure you'd make a very nice mule (I'm sure your mother thinks you are sometimes lol), but you're a Horse. Talk to PC, maybe she'll take you to see a very handsome jack...

Like this guy. Now look at these ears...

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Milaca, MN(Zone 3b)

Here's a pair of ears for you...Scruffie was about 10 months old here, a standard donkey.

Thumbnail by WormFarm
Milaca, MN(Zone 3b)

And here is a friend's miniature mule, just a couple months old

Thumbnail by WormFarm
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the pics!!

Oh man - TOO cute! Yer killin' me, WormFarm!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is Jasmine on the day she was born. She belongs to a friend of ours.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Great pics. They oughta help Sassy get a nice long-eared boy friend. =0)

Love the little guys.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here are Baalam and Bathsheba. They were boarded with us to have our farrier fix their feet.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images