Paducah 2009

leigh on sea, United Kingdom

Hi there
This comes from cold olde Essex in England, My friend and I have booked a tour going to Paducha in April, are any of you going? It would be great to be able to meet some of you there and also introduce us into the US way of shopping LOL.
Kind Regards
Jackie
XXX

Thumbnail by Joepatchwork
Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

Not going to Paducha...lol....that's a long way from me here in the USA on the west coast no less. However...how EXCITING that you're going to tour the US and made that part of your experience!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stunning image you posted with your comments. Whewwwwwww.....it's just 100% gorgeous!!!

Did you make that? Part of a quilt? Dooooooo tell me more about that beauty!

Thanks,

Felicia

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Jackie,
I live about 30 minutes from Paducah, KY. We moved up here 2 years ago.

Member and Daves Garden Administrator Melody lives close by and her Mom, YoYo1(a member here also) is a curator/tour guide at the Quilt Museum.

We go every year..it would be nice to meet you!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Glad to meet you!

We wouldn't miss the Quilt Show for anything....and would love to show you around our area and of course, shop! Mom is a fabulous quilter and is one of the 'world famous' Yo Yo's

I'm not so much a quilter, as using quilting to produce the texture that I want in a project. I'm not patient enough to make something as detailed as these prize winners...and I don't play well with numbers!

Here's one of my hangings. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/681478/

This will be fun! I'll get Mom to weigh in too...she's a member here as well. It will be a Roundup!

Oh wow so exciting! its not till April and already I am bubbling!

My Friend Gina and myself love patchwork, but wish we could be better, Im a bit of a need to go and buy the fabric, stroke it loveingly, then want to finish fast, but its not what happens really, the best laid plans and all that.
The picture I posted was going to be a wall hanging, but ended up printing it as a christmas card for a friend, once again best laid plans etc!!!!!
Hi Felica, sorry you wont be going, but i will take loads of photos and send them to you so you dont feel left out!
Gina and i would love to meet you all when we come, just tell us when and where and we will be there!
Regards
Jackie

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jackie - where else are you visiting while you are over here? If you are by any chance coming up to the Washington DC area, I'd love to take you to the quilt shops up here.
I was amazed at how expensive fabrics were when I was in Bude a couple years ago. I did buy some - still haven't cut into it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a Norwegian friend who loads up on fabric every time she visits...says that we pretty much give it away compared to them.

I'd love to show you around the area...let me know what interests you have, and we'll get everything all set up. Lots of shopping of course...vendors come in from all over the world, and every vacant shop and building is full of kiosks. If you can imagine it, you can buy it. From African folk embroidery to 19th century antique lace, to modern fabrics and patterns.

The computer companies come and set up demonstrating quilting programs. Artists demonstrate techniques, all sorts of art material and dyes are available. you can try out new machines or new products. Vendors set up in the parking lot and you can sample local food. The weather is usually quite nice...probably hot to you, but spring to us. I can give you a first hand weather report just before you leave.

Flowers will be blooming and leaves on the trees. Paducah's Dogwood Trail should be open. Here's an article that I wrote here at DG about dogwoods and my photography is from the Trail: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1049/

(don't tell anyone, but I spend more that week, than I do on plants all year!! shhhh...) Start saving your money! The Paducah Post Office sets up inside the show and you can ship things home rather than check them on the plane too...

Here's a link to our area: http://www.kentuckylakebarkley.org/

When are you arriving, and how long will you stay? Ask anything...you've got the ear of a local here...and we'll be thrilled to show ya'll some Southern hospitality!

Paducah, KY

Greetings from Yo Yo 1 (Melody's Mom We will be glad to show you around,
help you find fabric, etc. and generally show you all a great time in Paducah.
Quilters are special people and we do know how to extend Southern
Hospitality. So come on, we will be waiting for you with needles ready to
sew! Yo Yo 1

Do you know you all have made me feel so welcome, and excited, I cant wait now, will post our dates when I can find the bit of paper LOL!
Typical quilter, tidy fabric but the rest of the house !!!!
Thanks for making me feel this way will log in soon and let you know
Regards
Jackie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This is going to be exciting for sure!

By the time April rolls around, we'll all be old friends.

Here's the article that I wrote about the Quilt Show last year: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1123/#discuss

And here is Kathleen's article: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1125/

She's a dear friend, and writes here as well. (she's also an accomplished artist and poet)

Here are a couple of articles written about Mom and her friends..(I did not write these)

http://www.posh-mag.com/may.june/artist.html
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/458828/paducah_quilt_group_told_youre_famous_in_japan/index.html

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

pssst...Melody...two words: HOBBY LOBBY!!!

Jackie, we have a wonderful craft store in Paducah, I'm sure you would like going there also!

Hi all
Sorry its been so long, I have been really busy at work, but now its time to think about our holiday.ohh!. we leave the uk on the 18th April next stop Tennessee, two nights there and we pick up our "Heritage Tour" and go to Paducha, I cant wait.

When we get our tour guide, I will let you know and perhaps we could arrange to meet up?
Regards Jackie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Jackie,

Sorry it has been so long on our end as well. We had a terrible ice storm in this area and it pretty much as consumed our attention for the last month. Many were without power for weeks in the area. We were lucky and we only without power 9 days. Not good right in the middle of winter. It is all over but the clean up now. Very few trees came through without being broken, but we are trimming up and getting the mess taken care of. At one time all power was out for nearly 70 miles in all directions. (even gas stations, hotels and stores...there were no services whatsoever)

Are you landing in Nashville? Great town. We love to go there for food and fun. The airport isn't so big that you get lost either. Quite easy to find your way around.

Of course we'd love to meet up. Just let us know how your schedule is and we'll get a plan. Traveling is so much more fun when you've got someone on the other end waiting to show you around, and we can't wait to do so!

I am so sorry you have had such bad weather, all that clearing up and no electicity!
I hope you have all managed to survive this and are looking forward to the spring, as we are here. I say not before time, roll on summer!.
Our date to leave London is on the 18th April, we fly to washington and get our connection to you. we have 2 days before we get on our tour bus for Paducah, as soon as they tell us our hotel I will contact you again.

We look forward to meeting you.
Jackie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Spring is on the way. Daffodils are blooming as is the Flowering Quince and Forsythia. It won't be long until the weather turns hot, but this year, I'll not complain.

This was my back yard...

Thumbnail by melody

Hi Melody
what a beautiful picture, nice weather if you are well wrapped up, and you have power!!!
Regards
Jackie

I love this poem

THE MIRACLE

COME, sweetheart, listen, for I have a thing
Most wonderful to tell you -- news of spring.

Albeit winter still is in the air,
And the earth troubled, and the branches bare,

Yet down the fields to-day I saw her pass --
The spring -- her feet went shining through
the grass.

She touched the ragged hedgerows -- I have
seen
Her finger-prints, most delicately green;

And she has whispered to the crocus leaves,
And to the garrulous sparrows in the eaves.

Swiftly she passed and shyly, and her fair
Young face was hidden in her cloudy hair.

She would not stay, her season is not yet,
But she has reawakened, and has set

The sap of all the world astir, and rent
Once more the shadows of our discontent.

Triumphant news -- a miracle I sing --
The everlasting miracle of spring.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Very nice...who is the author?

Hi All
We have had our final programme, we are staying at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel Paducah.We arrive on the 20th April, I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The picture is of my Grandson James, wearing my Daughters boyfriend's (who is a fireman) uniform, he loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful! The Mariott is nice.

You'll find that you are within walking distance of Hancock's Fabrics and a number of restaurants. The free shuttles will pick you up in several locations and you can come and go as you please to the Expo Center.

Here is a link about the shuttle service, be sure to watch the video about it: http://paducahtransit.blogspot.com/2008/03/quilt-show-shuttle-service.html

This is a link to the Visitor Information about Paducah: http://www.paducah.travel/static/index.cfm?action=group&contentID=1

We are looking forward to your visit, and hope that we can make it a memorable one! We need to have some contact information arranged so we can meet up. If you wish to send me a private message with details, just click my name. It will take you to a page where you can send me a note. I hate to put any personal info out where it can be accessed by someone that you don't want.

See you in a couple of weeks!

Lebanon, OR

Oh how I wish I could go but am in OR on west coast...who finally received sun yesterday and again today...I would so love to see all the shops and quilts and meet all you wonderful, talented DG sewers, quilters.

My first love is the garden my second love is sewing, making my future daughters wedding outfit, pale sage with ivory drape in embrodiared sheer fabric...have all the flowers (silk) done for the wedding, the invitations are ready for them to address.

OK ladies, just to compare how about posting what fabric from low to high NOT ON SALE cost. Here it starts with limited selection at 6.00 a yard and goes to 10.00 a yard for quilting fabric.

I was in PA last year and shipped home 50# of fabric in flat rate box because I got a huge selection of fabric NOT ON SALE at 5.00 a yard.

D

In MD the cottons are usually $8-10 and the nicer batiks are more. Every few months we drive up to Lancaster where you get the same (and a HUGE selection) for about 1/2 that. And then 2X year one of the larger PA shops has a bolt sale and that is $3-5yd for whatever is on the bolt (usually 8-12 yrs).

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Here in NH quality quilt fabric starts around $7.00 Yd and goes up to $12.00 yd for domestic cotton fabric. Batiks are more expensive than regular cottons and imports (like the beautiful Japanese ones) go as high as $18.00 yd. You really can feel the difference when using these fabrics. I try to stick to them but not always.

Lebanon, OR

We have a HUGE fabric store in Portland that once a month all fabric goes on sale for 40% off and that is when I get my backing, or the bigger pieces needed for the front of the quilt...

Got the material real silk for her wedding dress for 6.00 a yard...

They also will allow any time on bolts 50% off and I found out the hard way if you want black that never fades you buy Kono Black.

We were in Lancaster PA when I shipped home the fabric

irisloverdee - have you tried zandsfabrics.com? It is Sauders & Zooks on-line site. Sometimes prices are even better than what they have in the stores. And the "clearance" prices are amazing.
We are harding up to PA next weekend for our Spring shopping trip.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hancock's of Paducah has a great website and pretty good sales. The fabric is all first quality and the selection is incredible. I love going to the store when we have lots of time in Kentucky, but I order at least a couple of times a year.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

For the good stuff, it averages from $7 to $12 and the selection is tremendous. We have some places that sell good quality at about $3 to $6, and nothing is wrong with them except that they are last year's prints.

The high quality batiks are more.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Jackie,

It was so wonderful to meet you and Gina. I am so glad you found DG. I've made yet another two friends for life! Thank you for letting us hang out with you two girls!

Sally and I figured out what the "F" on the stamp meant: FUN!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

And here we all are!

Gina and Jackie are seated and JustmeLisa and myself are standing in the back.

We had an absolute ball! And as Lisa said, we now are friends for life!

The quilts were fabulous, the vendors were wonderful but the company was best of all!

You gals should be flying home today from Nashville. Hope you have a great flight.

Thumbnail by melody
Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Great picture everyone!

Crossville, TN

I am green with ENVY! Not only to be with Lisa and Melody again...but to have met Gina and Jackie. Jo

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You would have had a ball!

Hi All
Back home for one whole day, wow, am so tired, keep on having those little naps, LOL.
I can not tell you how much i enjoyed our trip to Paducha and meeting you all was out of this world, you all made me feel so welcome I want to live there (its true).
You are all such kind people and if you ever come across the sea to the UK you will be staying at my home!!!.
Melody you are the perfect host, you and your mum were so kind to me, thanks for taking the time out to please me.
Lisa you are so lovely and so is Sally, when she gets a little older she must come and have a holiday with me in the uk, then she can be my apprentice for a little while!!!!.
Please dont lose contact with me, I would be so upset****.
Love to all
Jackie and Chloe (the Moggie)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Jackie and Moggie Chloe!
It is so good to hear from you. I'm glad you two sweet ladies made it home safely. We just loved spending time with both of you.

I do hope you both come back next year, we'll do it all over again! Sally would love to be your apprentice..goodness knows she can't learn watching me sew. haha.

I promise we'll not lose contact. I would be upset too! We just had so much fun...you ladies were so delightful. (It was fun listening to y'all talk, beautiful accent from the both of you)

Love back to you, Moggie and Gina!

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Jackie...

So very nice to meet you at the quilt show! I wish I could have returned on Friday with Lisa and Melody, but that wasn't to be.

I am really glad you had such a great trip, and maybe someday you can do it again. I am still going over and over the photos, and reliving every minute.

Sometimes it can be a very small world, you know?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad that you had a good trip home. Are you planning to quilt something with our American birds on it yet? (they loved our Robins and Cardinals)

They also enjoyed rocking chairs at the restaurants, and we introduced them to corn dogs!

We will never lose touch...you'll need to return at some point now that you are seasoned 'veterans' We'll have great fun.

Paducah, KY

Hello from Paducah from YOYO 1 Jackie and Gina We are so glad that you had a great visit in our town and enjoyed our quilts! It was great meeting you, but didn't get to spend enough time in your company, as my work with my group took most of my time. We all hope y'all get to come back again next year. My group is already working on our Knoxville show presentations in July, and our Des Moines show in October. Please don't forget your Kentucky friends! YOYO 1

Thanks YoYo
I enjoyed meeting you too. Love to all, will write soon

JackieXXX

ps Picture of daughter No 2 Kate and her other half Steve (the fireman)!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Jackie,
What a beautiful daughter!! And her fireman is quite a catch.

I think of you girls often, hope you both are planning another trip to the south.

love to you,
Lisa

Hi Lisa
and Melody
Remember I promised you both some goodies (and a few bits for Sally) from my collection, but I need your addresses first, you can send it to my email address, Melody you have that, can you give it to lisa for me please.

I have been sorting out some of my bits and I have a litle pile for you all!!!!
Love and hugs

Jackie XXX
ps Lisa photo for you "Canary Islands"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.