Heads-up! Our Annual Photo contest will be open for entries this Thursday the 18th!

Natural bath oil?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I am looking for a natural bath oil that doesn't have any added dyes or fragrance. My son has very dry skin and I think that might help.
Also wondering what bath oil does to the plumbing over time?
Would it build up in the pipes and cause troubles?

I have just started putting virgin coconut oil on my daughters dry hair, hoping that will help. Might hlep with the tangles too I hope. But my son seems allergic to it.

Plano, TX

is baby oil natural? or maybe olive oil--don't think it would hurt the pipes if it doesn't solidify--which i don't think either of those do--coconut oil i think does solidify

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

Yes, coconut oil does solidify below 76 degrees. Jojoba oil is EXTREMELY moisturizing and sweet almond oil is great too - just drop a few teaspoons into the bath - it doesn't take much.
And for extra moisture apply body oil all over after getting out of the bath and shower, while the skin is still moist. Don't try off completely first though. It soaks in better if skin is still somewhat wet.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I've used mineral oil after a shower and before I dry off. Just turn off the shower and rub mineral oil over your body, then dry off. Kinda works better before bed.

I have heard that mineral oil is not natural oil, it has been processed somehow?
Yes coconut oil does solidify, forgot about that!
How would the oil work better with damp skin, oil and water are not supposed to mix?
Well might try the olive oil, hadn't thought of that, just use for it cooking.
thanks

Oh, about the baby oil, most of it is highly scented, and it is mineral oil anyway...

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

FrillyLilly - check out this website below. It talks about the benefits of coconut oil, which it sounds like you're already aware of.
There is also the following paragraph about why to apply body oil immediately after
showering or bathing :
Coconut oil can work as an excellent skin moisturizer if applied immediately after a shower. Oils such as olive, jojoba or coconut oil, and Vaseline (petroleum jelly) sit on top of the skin and lock in moisture, thus acting as a water sealant. That's why they work best when applied to damp skin.

http://myblogonbeauty.blogspot.com/2008/02/coconut-oil-for-beauty.html

I am going to try the olive oil. And will apply to damp skin.
Thanks for the tip.

New York, United States

Olive oil and coconut oil, both are known as good bath oils, but I personally prefer olive oil because coconut oil has some issues in winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.