Good movies coming out now.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

With the academy awards coming up there are some excellent movies being released now. I want to see all of them, but even professional movie reviewers admit they can't get to all of them. But last night I went to see one of them. It was called Doubt with Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman. It is about a tough old nun who suspects the priest in the parish where she runs the school of being a homosexual pedophile. Only she can't prove it. She sets out to get him out of his job. It is a great movie and I would love to hear what other people thought of it. I saw it last night. Although it was very heavy, I thought it was quite good. Wonder what the rest of you thought?

I would also like to hear what some of you think of some of the other movies that will no doubt be up for Academy Awards like Wall-E and Slumdog Millionaire -- which I haven't seen yet.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Australia opened before Christmas. It's supposed to be about problems during a Japanese invasion. Nicole Kidman is well, ........Nicole Kidman, but the New Yorker gave it a scathing review. Has anyone seen it? I'd like a second opinion.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have not seen it, but I want to. If for no other reason, I read that the scenery is beautiful. Ebert included it in the best movies of 2008 and I rarely dislike anything on his annual list. I plan to see it and if I do, I will definitely be willing to discuss it. I have learned not to take reviewers' opinions too seriously -- especially NY Times reviewers.
I actually like movies with excellent costumes and scenery if the plot is a bit thin. Last night we watched an older film on DVD called Silk. The plot was pretty shallow but the scenery and costumes were magnificent -- France, Japan and many points in between. It could be that Australia is like that.
I gather the romance is pretty unbelievable in it -- it was in Silk, also.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I saw "Doubt" and thought it was quite good. Even though it was a heavy subject, the interaction between the nuns and the students brought back memories of my Catholic school days and made me chuckle. Meryl Streep was fantastic. Her character was tough, but she was obviously very caring. I thought it was an interesting glimpse into her past when she admitted to having been once married.

Another movie I saw on Christmas was "Gran Torino" with Clint Eastwood. I didn't think I was going to like it, but I ended up loving it. Eastwood plays a crusty, bigoted war veteran who lives next door to a Hmong (Asian) family. The son tries to steal Eastwood's prized Gran Torino auto, as a gang initiation. I don't want to give away any more, so I'll just say the rest of the film deals with the relationship between the veteran, the boy and the gang with a highly climactic ending. Even though Eastwood's character's grumpiness can be a little overdone at times, I highly recommend this movie.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

For Australia: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/928905/

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am dying to see Gran Torino. It got great reviews and the previews look very promising. Eastwood has a lot of skill as an actor and has shown himself to be more than just a mouthy gunslinger. Thanks for the tip that it really is as good as it is touted to be. That is on my "must see" list.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Tir_Na_Nog, for the link. I will definitely see Australia now. And I even like Nicole. What's not to like? I think she is a fine actress. My "must see" list is growing by the hour. I have to see "Grand Torino". The US needs to address its problems with immigrants. This sounds like a step in the right direction.

Yes, Gran Torino interests me too. And to think, at one time I didn't care for Clint Eastwood much. I liked him as Rowdy Yates in the tv series, "Rawhide" but did not like the spaghetti westerns nor the fascist role he played in Dirty Harry. But then things changed.....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Eastwood has turned out to be a good actor and director and I guess he was a good Mayor of Carmel, CA. ( or was it Monterrey?)

Carmel, I think. By the way, I have found the New Yorker's critiques of movies to often be contrary to others.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello, I too want to see Gran Torino. Every time I see the preview it makes me want to watch Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge again. Thats one of his best movies in my opinion even though it was made many years ago.

Anybody a scifi fan? I have heard opposing opinions on The Day the Earth Stood Still. Anybody seen it?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I haven't seen Heartbreak Ridge. I will have to look it up on netflix. I probably won't see The Day the Earth Stood Still. I am not into Sci-Fi generally, though I thought Wall-E wasn't bad, just not as good as Ratatouille.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still (and am a sci-fi fan). The special effects were the best part. I thought the plot was rather thin. They never really went into just why the humans were ruining the earth and had to be eliminated (I know in the original 1950's version it was the threat of nuclear war). They hinted at environmental issues, but that is about it. So I would rate the movie about a B-

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks. It didn't get very good reviews either, but reviews are weird. I would rather hear from a real person than a professional reviewer.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you. I too prefer hearing it from a person. I had heard that it, The Day the Earth Stood Still, was good even though the ending was a little vague.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Of course, it didn't hurt having Keanu Reeves to watch for two hours!

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

You are sooooo right. I may have to put Speed in the dvd player now. LOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We also want to see Gran Torino. Glad many of you agree.
My husband gets his movie reviews from Michael Medved, website. They have been pretty good in general. It seems I am always impressed with the acting in the movies Medved likes, but sometiems the plot is a little slow, sound isn't great, or something.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I had not heard of Michael Medved. I will check out his sight. I find that I usually agree with Ebert though.

FOund here
http://www.eyeonentertainment.net/

FOund here
http://www.eyeonentertainment.net/

Umm, that may not be his actual website but he has one. This link has a bunch of quick reviews

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think that is his actual web site. Thanks for the link. I do hope to see Frost/Nixon as well as Grand Torino.

Phoenix, AZ

First time visit to this forum and saw this thread about movies. Has anyone seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? I had read mixed reviews but went because my GD wanted us to go with her. Looong movie, but absolutely transfixing. As preposterous as the premise is, you will believe it happened.

As for what I'd like to see: Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino and Doubt. Think I'll skip the upcoming silly-looking bridezilla movie with Ann Hathaway and Kate Hudson.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, want to see Slumdog Millionaire, Grand Torino and have already seen Doubt which is quite good. I have heard very disparaging views of the bridezilla movie. I intend to skip it. I am surprised to hear about Benjamin Button. I had sort of planned to skip it, but now hearing a real person say they liked it makes it tempting for me. You know, in the Legend of King Arthur, Merlin the Magician was living his life backwards in time. Interesting concept.

Plano, TX

i really liked benjamin button! it was long and could have been edited a bit but i thought it was fascinating

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gran Torino has arrived in my town I discovered and my DH has a play rehearsal tomorrow night, so with any luck I will go.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I saw Benjamin Button, and was disappointed. I've never been a huge Brad Pitt fan, and I did not think the premise of backwards aging added anything to the plot, which was a thin "boy meets girl, boy loses girl" story.

I really want to see Slumdog Millionaire.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am with you on Slumdog Millionaire. Also I want to see Gran Torino. I might see Benjamin Button because of stuff I read on this thread, but the other two are higher on my list. DH will be involved with a play most nights for the next two weeks, so I hope to catch up on movies while he rehearses.

Phoenix, AZ

I'll be surprised if both Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett don't get Oscar nominations. I'm not a Pitt fan either, but regardless of the fantastical premise, the movie holds attention. And you will not believe the old woman in the bed is Blanchett. http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/25/review.benjamin.button/

Anyone plan to see Defiance? I'd like to see Daniel Craig in something other than Bond movies. Or have you seen The Boy in the Striped Pajamas or The Reader? Kate Winslet won a Golden Globe for The Reader - and another for Revolutionary Road.

Plano, TX

revolutionary road looks interesting! so does the reader--actually it seems there are a lot of good movies out now--

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Just saw Gran Torino. What a movie. It is one of the best movies I have seen in years. Clint Eastwood does an incredible acting and directing job And the others in the movie are fantastic, too. It is both incredibly funny and deeply moving. I encourage all of you to see it. To me, it says a lot about what it means to be an American.

There are a lot of good movies out right now because the academy awards are coming up. Too bad they don't spread them throughout the year. I would rather see one a month than 12 in 1 month!

Yes Revolutionary Road sounds good -- and I would like to hear what some of you think of The Reader.

Slumdog Millionaire is next on my list.

Plano, TX

clint eastwood has really proven himself over the years! my kids tease me because i hate to see anything too sad--so my daughter said i might not like one scene in gran torino--i still ---
it's always so much more fun to watch the academy awards when you have seen the top movies--to me academy award night is still a pretty big deal--also an excuse for snack foods and staying up late on a weeknight!!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I saw Doubt and absolutely adored it. Meryl Streep was superb. It is not a depressing movie but it is definitely intense due to the subject matter. After I saw it I was sure Meryl and PSHoffman would get academy awards. Then I noticed they didn't get much mention during Golden Globes, which surprised me.

I prefer staying at home and watching a DVD, but G Torino, Slumdog, Ben Britten, the one w/ Daniel Craig may make me get dressed and go to the show.

Plano, TX

i prefer watching at home too--of course there are a few that just deserve the big screen!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The end of Gran Torino is sad -- the rest is quite joyful. In a way you know what will happen eventually all along. The way it happens is what is a surprise.
I never watch the Academy Awards, but I always like the movies that come out right before the Academy Awards so I try to watch them when they first come out if I can because I like the big screen so much better than the small one, but there is no way I can see all of the 20 Ebert choose in his top 20 at this time. I will watch the rest on DVD if I can get them.
I, too, was surprised Merryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't get mentioned often for Academy Awards, but I haven't seen anything like all of the performances, so I will withhold judgment. Clint Eastwood's performance was also unbelievably good -- and I spent most of my life disliking his films. He is a fine actor, it turns out.
I hope to catch a few more before the Awards come along. One reason Streep and Hoffman may not get awards is because they have already received them for other films. The Academy has a tendency to give them to people who haven't had them before. One way or the other, this is my favorite movie time of the year.
Slumdog Millionaire is next on my list.

Santa Fe, NM

Hi. My D.H. is a huge film lover so he has seen Slumdog Millionaire and The Reader. He comes home and tells me about them so I can give you his reviews. He liked both of these movies very much but especially The Reader, which surprised him. He went on and on about it. He thought it ended up to be a profound examination of the ambiguities of the human condition; or something like that. My favorite movie this year is, as usual, a foreign movie. "Happy Go Lucky" by Mike Leigh, a well known English director. The actress in it, whose name I forgot, won best actress on the Golden Globe awards. She is amazing. Sorry for my bad memory. It is a character study about a youngish woman who is almost annoyingly upbeat. At first you think she's also a total ditz, goofy. She isn't, as it turns out. There is something to be said for optimism! I would like to see the Clint Eastwood movie. I have enjoyed his later films. Slumdog Millionaire won best picture on the Golden Globes! It was a real surprise. Those are the foreign press awards, I think. So the Oscars will be quite different.

Plano, TX

we just put HAPPY GO LUCKY on our netflix--not available till march --that's ok-i will have forgotten all about it and then have a nice surprise--

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I want to see Happy Go Lucky, too. I tried to catch it when it was here, but had too much going on. It will be one of the ones I get from Netflix. Maybe this weekend I will catch Slumdog Millionaire or the Reader.

I am amazed at the number of good films that have out just before the Acadamy Awards. This is the most I have seen in my 65 years of watching. I look forward to seeing a lot of them, especially Doubt and Gran Torino

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I was so looking forward to Gran Torino. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but I would rate it a "must rent" movie rather than a must "go to the show" movie. I found the movie depressing because it reminded me of the difficult relationship with some elders in our own family. At the same time, it has given me some food for thought about what I can do to improve those relationships. There is hope.

I found Clint's character much too familiar. He was cantankereous Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry movies, cantankerous cowboy in the spaghetti westerns, cantankerous coach in Million Dollar Baby, etc, etc. I found climax of movie predictable as well.

And about crusty people with gold hearts. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot relate. I see no reason or excuse to be abusive, verbally or otherwise. It isn't that I don't have a bad day(s), but behaving like this, hoping others will see thru such coarseness seems rather narcissistic to me. People like that scare me because I don't know how deeply I have to get to know them before I discover the golden heart. They scare me because they might provoke me to be hateful myself. They scare me because I don't know how to comfort their ailing heart. I stay as far away as I can.

I got to the show a bit early, so I snuck inside to see "Yes Man". Wished I had finished seeing that one instead, lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.