Happy New Year Coleus Chatters...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to all you wonderful coleus lovers! I hope everyone is having a wonderful New Year and all their Christmas wishes came true.

I've been having my very own little pity party for awhile now, so hopefully I'm over it as I am so looking forward to spring and coleus and blooms and plants of all kinds. Yippeeeeeee... the days are getting longer and I need some serious sunshine!

I hope everyone will join us for the New Year.....

Taken July 2008

Thumbnail by Brinda
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is a festive bed.

I am still in Xmas decoration mode.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Yippee! New Year new thread.. Great looking Tropicals!

Oh! love the reds Dale.

Now that things are slowing down and getting back to normal, I hope to have more time visiting
Chatters and keep up with everyone.

Lots of planning going on for the new growing season, new plans for a Tiki/bar hut out by the sitting pool. I'm dreaming of lots of color and Blooms.. We'll see.

Taken 09/11

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

HEllooooooo! Jeez sure is quite in here....

Ms Brinda are you glued to the T.V , 1st qt 0/0

(whispering very faintly.... go Gators)(exclaimer I am a Florida girl) LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Pheadra! Sweat is pooring off of me right now!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Man that was some yell you just let out, I heard it all the way down here.(interception) :{ lol

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

If only you could see the chaos in this house! There is definately way too much testosterone here tonight!

BOOMER SOONER

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

you might want to try some Gator-ade for the sweating.....lol

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You are just so funny! LOL

We have a teacup poodle named Gator and all these men are being so mean to him.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure that "Gator" will get his revenge, by the end of the night....lol

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Brinda & GG3,

I love both of your gardens. That is the look I am trying to accomplish. Thanks for posting those pics. I am working on some cannas, coleus and EE's. Now I have found a new addiction....BRUGS. Lord have mercy! : )

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Pheadra, I just pulled my head out of the sand. What an awful night. LOL And what a great quarterback Tebow is. Even though we lost, I enjoyed the game. Certainly would have enjoyed it much more had we won.

Gardenia, welcome to the Coleus Forum. I promise you, if you stick around... we will have you so addicted to coleus. It sounds like you love all the beauties that I love. Brugs have a weak spot with me too, they hold such beauty. There are a few brugs in the first pic that I posted above, but they aren't big enough to see back then. They were certainly beautiful when they bloomed!

Dale, are you finished with Christmas? LOL Or are you still decorating?

Pheadra, I just drool at your 9/11 pic. I see so many beauties in there that I love!

Too late...already drooling over last year pics everyone has posted. : ) I love your Orange trumpet vine. I started some seeds last week and hoping to have an arbor filled with lil pretty trumpets next yr. Hoping!!! LOL!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Happy New Year from me too!
Love your garden, Brinda...I can only dream of that in Arizona. I push the envelope as it is.

Dale, those are woderful poinsettias!

And Pheadra, I love your garden arbor!

Gardenia, I have only been hanging out in Coleus a few months now and I have it bad...

I have been busy making garden ornaments from light bulbs as I wait for the warmer weather to show up. Even cold in Phoenix this winter!!

Thumbnail by booplants
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

do remember it may take 5 years for them to bloom from seed mine is now three and no flowers yet lol to cheap to buy the plant so i wait also have a 7 year old wisteria may bloom this year its now big

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Guess I'm gonna check out the new coleus on RD; time to start planning for spring--I AM SO READY FOR SPRING!!!!

boo I just love your garden ornament; what a talented painter you are. Do post more so we can see your handiwork.

Hope everyone is just as eager for spring and the coleus addiction to be set in motion. My front flower beds look so pitiful without all the coleus plants. I was lazy and didn't do any winter annuals in the front this year.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks!

Here is one....that word rain could be substituted fro snow for some of you right now!

Thumbnail by booplants
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh boo , that is so cute. I wish I had that kind of talent! I have got a few coleus sowed in a milk jug container just waiting for them to come up. It is a mix that svplantingfool sent to me so I don't know what will come up but will be a big suprise when they do. Can't wait hardly for them to show their little heads.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

very nice boo. And isn't that saying so true. If I can be out gardening, i don't care what shape my house is in.

Boo I've also only been here for a few months. I dont get to post as much as I wish I could. I was also admiring your talent and was seriously looking to do a few of your bulb projects. They are beautiful. : )

Scicciarella I dont have much of a choice do I. LOL! Starting a new garden from scratch can take a big chunk out of you pkt and times are not allowing too much spending on plants so instead I work on the seeds. If I gotta wait 5 yrs I guess I better take my chill pill and get myself busy with the rest of the seeds. LOL!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Xmas is never over in my Photo Files....

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Dale, How do they get the pointsettia to grow up into a tree like that.
I have seen pictures of them but just never knew how they did it?

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

My coleous are over-wintering right nicely! I have planted the seed from Cathy [svplantiningfool] they should soon be popping up, will bring them inside if it turns too cold. Lorine

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Gardenia, I planted that trumpet vine (red & yellow) a very long time ago to cover that ugly barn. It is invasive here, as most places but I love it. I just pull up all the runners that I see and believe me, I see them in many places. Trumpet vine brings back some wonderful childhood memories and I've always loved it.

Hi scicciarella, welcome! You had luck with seed from a trumpet vine? I've had many people tell me that they could never get them to germinate. What is your secret?

boobaby! You are so talented! I just love your ornament, it puts a big smile on my face and reassures me that spring is on the way!

Lorine, you are so lucky to live in that climate! So you planted the seeds outside? I am green with envy as we won't be warm enough here for a very long time. Our last frost date is April 15th. Yikes!

LOL Patty... I so agree with you! Who the heck wants to think of (or even do) housework when you can be playing ... I mean working in the garden.

Did anyone make any resolutions this year? I thought about it and then decided not to. That weight loss idea that keeps coming to mind is just a figment of my imagination anyway!

A neighbor down the road has one on a trellis/arbor in front of the house. Evertytime I pass by during the summer it is practically completely orange. It looks so beautiful. I will keep my eyes open for one in a pot because my seeds dont seem like they are going to germinate.

In regards to resolutions I am trying to quit smoking but let's see today is the 10th and I am still smoking so I guess that is not going to happen anytime soon. LOL!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Gardenia, go tell your neighbor that you want to pull up a piece of it. I am sure they have it coming up in places that they don't want it to. That would be much cheaper than buying it and I'm sure the neighbor wouldn't mind at all. Just remember, it is invasive!

LOL! I guess I could do that also. I don't mind it being invasive. I am looking for something that will cover an arbow right away and I think this is it.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

HO HO,

Just running by to say Hey. Glad everyone survived the holidays. Will take some pics in the next few days of all the babies in the garage. Did more cuttings today.

Juanita

Londerzeel, Belgium

My coleus plants are falling as leaves from a tree, but it has never been so beautiful here before...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That looks cold enough to freeze the ocean.

Aloe vera>

Londerzeel, Belgium

well at least the whole pond is frozen. I'll have to buy new fish in spring I'm affraid. This is all that remains from the spot that I tried to keep ice free, no wonder after several nights around -10F

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Monday Morning to everyone!!!

I got up early this morning with good intentions of working real hard today and all I can do is manage to look at coleus. LOL I was cruising the RD website and I've had this song stuck in my head since I looked at this. http://www.rosydawngardens.com/chantilly-36.html

So, then I had to start searching for lyrics and songs on youtube. I think this is a fabulous Monday morning song... it sure gets me going! And it was a great year too, wasn't it Juanita?! LOL

Hello baby, yeah, this is the Big Bopper speaking
Oh you sweet thing
Do I what
Will I what
Oh baby you know what I like

Chantilly lace and a pretty face
And a pony tail hanging down
That wiggle in the walk and giggle in the talk
Makes the world go round
There ain't nothing in the world like a big eyed girl
That makes me act so funny, make me spend my money
Make me feel real loose like a long necked goose
Like a girl, oh baby that's what I like

What's that baby
But, but, but, oh honey
But, oh baby you know what I like

Makes the world go round

What's that honey
Pick you up at 8 and don't be late
But baby I ain't got no money honey
Oh alright baby you know what I like

Makes the world go round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp1qz4Jb1c

Patty sent me a cutting of Chantilly last year and I loved that coleus. But I can't seem to find a pic that I took of it. It had such pretty colors and frilly leaves. The name fits it well!

Cumulus, it sure looks bitter cold in your part of the world. We've been so lucky here not to have all that cold & ice & snow. I will feel so fortunate if we don't have it.

Juanita, it's so good to see you. Are you getting some play time with all your coleus babies? You are such a good coleus mommy, I just wish I had the patience to overwinter. Or the know-how, I kill all of them.

Have a beautiful day everyone....

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Brinda I went on RD last Friday and started my wish list. I already have about 18 coleus on the list. I hope I can narrow it down or else I will be spending a fortune. I do so love my RD coleus. It is so much fun to shop for coleus cultivars. I'm always on the lookout for new ones that I can find in my local stores and nurseries. It just ticks me that Lowes, WM and HD never can tag a coleus nor does my local nursery. So nice that I have learned to recognize quite a few thanks to you guys and DG. When you were on RD, did they have the new cultivars marked as new. I swear I saw some names of coleus that I didn't recognize as being on there last year, but they weren't marked as new so I figure I just didn't remember them.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't have a photo but will later....camera charging....BUT the coleus in my bedroom is growing and making new leaves!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Brinda--i didn't overwinter any coleus cuttings either this year. I hate the mealie bug fight and it was really bad last year on my coleus babies that I overwintered. I do have some trailers in the ground and so far they look decent so I am hoping the will make it through the winter.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Patty, I've just started my wish list at RD today. I too have so many that I feel like I must have. Sheesh! If we were smart, we'd all order different coleus and swap them. And you are right, they used to mark the new coleus as 'new' but I've noticed that they aren't doing that this year.

I am waiting on sohappy64 on ebay to post what he will have available before I make my final decision with RD. I got more coleus there last year that I knew what to do with. Honestly, that is the truth. LOL

Hi boo... bring on the pics!

Patty, did you read the article that joy posted about mealy bugs? I'm determined to give it a try this year, I just need to raid the local starbucks. Here's the article http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

(Zone 9b)

Great morning my little coleusadees. LOL. I too am awash in lust and coleus desire esp after our temp went up to 70 degrees today. I am thinking I need to go somewhere green today to celebrate. My husband is in bed though with a bad back so I am torn between being a watchful helpful good wife or abandoning him ASAP to enjoy the day. LOL

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Nope didn't see it so I off to check out the link. Thanks. I will need to check out your ebay coleus seller too.

boo more garden ornament pic's too please.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Should we all take bets on what Kell decides to do today?

Kell, send Tom good wishes and a speedy recovery! Was he helping you carry some huge container? Is that how he hurt his back?

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

That is funny Brinda. I was thinking the same thing. "wonder what Kell is going to choose to do." I know what I would do--"see ya honey; take a good nap and I'll be back in a while LOL

I just read that article. I sure hope that works. I get that white scale real bad on some of my shrubs and mealies always on my coleus by the end of summer. I'm thinking I may need to go by Starbucks this weekend and see if they keep grounds for gardeners. I will try it on my jatrophas which still have some of that white scaley stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.